Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: New Zealand Off Grid Living And Homesteading

Quote Originally Posted by sixpointfive View Post
    yo, big difference from most countries is in little ole nz you can grab a rifle, go bush and hunt deer to your heart's desire 24/7 365 days a years for the rest of ya life.. no "season tickets" no "draws" no "licences" etc..
    There is plenty or "draws" woodhill hast fiordland etc etc but yes you can hunt deer all year round but some areas have special conditions on them.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    Although it doesn't seem like it a lot of the time, the majority of land in NZ publicly owned in some way or other, either held by DOC (Dept of Conservation), Landcorp (state owned farming), etc.
    Although there are people living off the grid they are just as likely to have a road going passed them a few hundred metres away, and it was simply cheaper not to connect to public mains systems.
    Homesteading in the sense that I think you are talking about is rare here, a number of people have access through family and friends to out of the way huts and baches and cribs.
    I know this valley up Puhoi way, I may go up and build a log cabin a see whether any one has a problem.
    199p and Dan88 like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

You'd be hard pressed to find a log to use there now
    Munsey likes this.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    I know this valley up Puhoi way, I may go up and build a log cabin a see whether any one has a problem.
    I might go do the same up the Te Urewera and see how i get on

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    I might go do the same up the Te Urewera and see how i get on
    @GHW

A good looking boy like you would soon be invited around for the main course Hangi.

Cheers
    Pete
    GWH and sometimes like this.

Or he would be part of giant boil up :-) to keep the customs up to date !
    GWH likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    We definitely do not need that here. Place is too small.
    Agree.

Please keep NZ as-is. In countries with few boundraries for building/ developing, all wilderness is basically gone and opportunities for outdoorlife likewise diminished.

Yeah are homestead act ended in 1986, People up here still buy property and "homestead" to this day its just not given public land from the US federal government like it was at one time. And I do not know how hard private land is to buy in NZ but you guys do not need a lot of land to handle all your own food needs.

@Alaskaman 2016 , kinda off subject , I know its scripted to hell ... but how do those idiots in the discovery series . "the browns" ... just wander around anywhere in the bush and say , lets build a cabin here ....and do it with no consent or building regs off any kind ?
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

A friend of mine(Kiwi) has a construction business in Texas ,on rural land no building consent needed and you don't need a builders licence, anything goes, consent only needed in Built up areas, a lot less government involvement in that state... cheap to build as well

Well stumpy glad you actually brought this up. The browns are well know thieves up here in Alaska. A lot of remote communities in the southeast part of the state where they live hate them a lot. I guess they just wonder into peoples property and take whatever they want too. As for cabins either its scripted and they build cabins on private land or its what's called a BLM cabin. Here in Alaska residents are allowed up to I believe 3 remote cabins for hunting, trapping, fishing etc. The U.S. BLM ( bureau of land management) gives this to people by permit use. As for the Browns being legit Alaska's they are not they just got caught lying to the US federal government on the permanent dividend fund paperwork they have to fill out. And that comes from the state of Alaska taxing the oil companies for taking oil from Alaska as a natural resource and every Alaska resident and only Alaska residents get a yearly check from the state government. The browns did not live in Alaska for many years and still they collected checks by lying and stating that they lived in the state. The show just brings them up to Alaska to film every year. Most Alaska shows are falsified to at least some extent. Watch the show The Last Alaskan's that show is great and they do indeed live that remote. Hope this answered your question my friend.
    P38, 199p, sometimes and 1 others like this.

i knew they were crap , no one wears a leather jacket in your wilderness .....cheers buddy ...
    Alaskaman 2016 likes this.
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskaman 2016 View Post
    Well stumpy glad you actually brought this up. The browns are well know thieves up here in Alaska. A lot of remote communities in the southeast part of the state where they live hate them a lot. I guess they just wonder into peoples property and take whatever they want too. As for cabins either its scripted and they build cabins on private land or its what's called a BLM cabin. Here in Alaska residents are allowed up to I believe 3 remote cabins for hunting, trapping, fishing etc. The U.S. BLM ( bureau of land management) gives this to people by permit use. As for the Browns being legit Alaska's they are not they just got caught lying to the US federal government on the permanent dividend fund paperwork they have to fill out. And that comes from the state of Alaska taxing the oil companies for taking oil from Alaska as a natural resource and every Alaska resident and only Alaska residents get a yearly check from the state government. The browns did not live in Alaska for many years and still they collected checks by lying and stating that they lived in the state. The show just brings them up to Alaska to film every year. Most Alaska shows are falsified to at least some extent. Watch the show The Last Alaskan's that show is great and they do indeed live that remote. Hope this answered your question my friend.
    Good on Ya @Alaskaman

I appreciate your a good honest commentary here.

An honest straight up answer is a characteristic that most Kiwis admire in a person.

Cheers
    Pete
    199p, stumpy and Alaskaman 2016 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskaman 2016 View Post
    Yeah are homestead act ended in 1986, People up here still buy property and "homestead" to this day its just not given public land from the US federal government like it was at one time. And I do not know how hard private land is to buy in NZ but you guys do not need a lot of land to handle all your own food needs.
    Private land isnt hard to buy here, like anything your only real restriction is $$$. You could quite easily buy a plot of land and grow vege/keep animals for quite an affordable sum as long as its far from any of the main centers. Shit you dont even have to live in NZ or be a resident to buy land privately here which is frankly a bit fucked but ill keep politics to a minimum.
    Alaskaman 2016 likes this.

Interesting thread Alaskaman.
    I know (or know of) a number of people who have bought large bush or scrub blocks and used diggers/dozers/Powergel to re-open the disused logging roads from years ago. Sometimes an old skid site has been used as house site.
    When visiting small rural towns I always check out the local real estate agency for remote bush blocks...have seen some 200-1000 acre blocks for as little $$ as a section in the city. Helps if it`s NOT near a beautiful sandy beach or scenic lake. Have always liked the idea of a private 5 km driveway to my own hut!
    Beaker and Alaskaman 2016 like this.