Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree283Likes

Thread: Not again!

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan F View Post
    I've got a month off work at the moment and you can stick the roar right up your ass. This happens every year without fail. There will be one or two more yet. Mark my words.
    There are far too many idiots with a FAL these days who have never even seen a deer let alone shot one. Safer playing golf and will head back in June when it's quietened down.
    +1 I stick to dirty pig hunting at this time of year in spots well clear of any deer stalkers. Rest of the year if deer hunting i still only go on week days into public blocks. Way too many dumpty's with FAL these days!!! Also why i avoid gun ranges and do my sighting elsewhere, where theres no one else about.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    There is only one license, and training all owners through this gateway process is not good enough. Yes, there are rules. But being given rules isn't training someone to safely use a firearm, it only demonstrates they know the principles of safe use.
    CURRENTLY there is only one license.

Many places have both a system for firearms licencing and another for hunters. They are two separate activities.

Being given rules or training doesn't demonstrate anything. It just says you were physically present.

Competency is another matter.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    ebf likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Koshogi View Post
    CURRENTLY there is only one license.

Many places have both a system for firearms licencing and another for hunters. They are two separate activities.

Being given rules or training doesn't demonstrate anything. It just says you were physically present.

Competency is another matter.

The purpose of training is to gain competence. Yep I recall from my time in Oz I needed an R license (I think that's what it was called) to hunt. So, how the hell do you police that in NZ?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

What about poachers though?

The purpose of training is to gain competence.
    No, the purpose of training is to impart knowledge and skills.

Competency and training are related, but are not the same thing.

Yep I recall from my time in Oz I needed an R license (I think that's what it was called) to hunt. So, how the hell do you police that in NZ
    Same way you Police any law. Make it a legal requirement and than enforce conformance. How do they enforce that hunters have a DOC hunting permit?

Quote Originally Posted by Koshogi View Post
    No, the purpose of training is to impart knowledge and skills.

Competency and training are related, but are not the same thing.

Same way you Police any law. Make it a legal requirement and than enforce conformance. How do they enforce that hunters have a DOC hunting permit?

Can't say I agree with your line of thinking. Stay safe.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

For training and competency?

It's not my opinion, it training facts.

Hey guys, great thoughts and ideas, in general. The answer lies not in practical field training, because the problem is with attitude.After discovering I was in the scope sights of at least 2 hunters in separate incidents while wearing green clothing, I've survived the last 30 years deerstalking by following these principles: I don't hunt in the roar any more, and I convince myself that every hunter in my hunting area is an idiot wandering around with his finger on the trigger of a loaded firearm while suffering from "buck fever", so I wear brightly coloured clothing in the bush.It doesn't affect my tallies, believe me. Deer are colour blind, they will smell you and hear you long before they will see you.
    Pengy, TJM and StagRyan like this.

It is a tragedy people, but if there are more hunters, just as when there are high traffic volumes, there is more likelihood of a serious human or mechanical error. The old adages, "No meat is better than no mate" and "Identify your target beyond all doubt" have been around for years and years. The issues of human error, carelessness, panic and hallucination need to be drummed into all firearms owners, and hunters heads. This is done remorselessly in magazines, hunter training courses, gun clubs, etc, but people do forget discipline at critical times, especially under stress / excitement / fatigue and related moods. I really don't know what else can be done except perhaps to ensure the reminders are placed in front of most hunters at entry points. Such points would be at helipads, sports shops, ranges, road entrances to hunting grounds and possibly even on billboards on highways so that the reminders are always visible, and more so in proximity to hunting ground access points. Such signs could be large and obvious, and funding could be shared by several groups including government, police, hunting associations , sports retailers and wholesalers, and especially hunting access services such as aircraft and boat operators. Perhaps a levy to partially finance these reminder signposts and billboards could be applied to every firearms sold by shops or trademe. Marketing relies up[on repeated and repeated and follow up after follow up of advertising in order to be effective; and it may just be that the hunting safety issue is lacking in these necessary constant and prominent advertising reminders.
    My 2 cents worth
    Sideshow likes this.

Stuff your levies.

Once again, why should a target shooter pay for a safety issue that has nothing to do with his sport.

This is a hunting issue. Not a firearms issue.

Krameranzac likes this.

Because he or she is a part of the firearms owning fraternity and should take some responsibility as well.
    Pengy and Blisters like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Because he or she is a part of the firearms owning fraternity and should take some responsibility as well.
    That's like saying that if one of my neighbours crashes his car pissed every weekend, and my other neighbour smashes his up at the racetrack every other race meet, we should all pay the same insurance.
    Ryan and Koshogi like this.

Are you responsible for other road users?

Of course not.

Do I have an interest in reducing the incident rate for overall firearm incidents? Yes

Do I support another levy (see Tax) on my purchases? HELL NO

I don't believe that everyone can be trained to an acceptable level of safety when hunting. There's too many people who CAN'T identity their target correctly. They're trying but they just aren't able to. Sharks occasionally misidentify people and they've been hunting for millions of years. Has anyone suggested that sharks can simply be trained out of killing surfers??? The only wisdom I'm taking from this thread is to obtain during the roar.

It is a tragedy people, but if there are more hunters, just as when there are high traffic volumes, there is more likelihood of a serious human or mechanical error. The old adages, "No meat is better than no mate" and "Identify your target beyond all doubt" have been around for years and years. The issues of human error, carelessness, panic and hallucination need to be drummed into all firearms owners, and hunters heads. This is done remorselessly in magazines, hunter training courses, gun clubs, etc, but people do forget discipline at critical times, especially under stress / excitement / fatigue and related moods. I really don't know what else can be done except perhaps to ensure the reminders are placed in front of most hunters at entry points. Such points would be at helipads, sports shops, ranges, road entrances to hunting grounds and possibly even on billboards on highways so that the reminders are always visible, and more so in proximity to hunting ground access points. Such signs could be large and obvious, and funding could be shared by several groups including government, police, hunting associations , sports retailers and wholesalers, and especially hunting access services such as aircraft and boat operators. Perhaps a levy to partially finance these reminder signposts and billboards could be applied to every firearms sold by shops or trademe. Marketing relies up[on repeated and repeated and follow up after follow up of advertising in order to be effective; and it may just be that the hunting safety issue is lacking in these necessary constant and prominent advertising reminders.
    My 2 cents worth
    Woody I think that you hit the nail on the head here.
    In relation to the stress of the situation.
    Also could put those signs up in huts as well.
    Not sure if you said that.

For the rest of us. Just think of having to tell someone's family that YOU have just taken there loved one from them because you did not identify you target or firing zone. Put your self in those shoes before you pick up a gun every time!
    sometimes and freelancer like this.