Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: NZDA

I've always found the nzda to be good fun on party Hunt's and good for advice but for actually getting people to take you out if you're new is hard. I've been to every meeting for a year and talk to everyone but everyone seems coy.

The guys are friendly enough and good for a chat but never keen to show someone what to do apart from your first ever party hunt.

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk
    Hunt4life and Steve123 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    I belong as an oldie to Taupo, get a key to the range, means I can use it when down there. Tried Bop a couple of times and have felt like a spare prick at a wedding each time, so never returned.
    I never realised that I had that affect on you Maca - but I always enjoy your company
    it seems they are very proactive and are trying to engage with their members - often organizing trips for members
    Looks like they have an interesting meeting on Tuesday - come over and I will buy you a beer
    Hunt4life likes this.

Back in the late 60s when I started hunting - I belonged to Manawatu NZDA - did shit loads of work for them on their new hall - committee and social convener - shot heaps of deer and prepared the cuts for local sale to raise funds - went on trips etc - but then came the meat hunting days - sale of bodies and serious dollars for us hunters - we soon got the cold shoulder - how dare you kill off our deer for sale - so like many of my meat hunting Mates - we left! - only recently tried to get involved at BOP - seem like good guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    I belong as an oldie to Taupo, get a key to the range, means I can use it when down there. Tried Bop a couple of times and have felt like a spare prick at a wedding each time, so never returned.
    yep thats how i found it and a few other people i know

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    I have no problem with paying the standard yearly sub straight off the bat. I have a big problem with being charged more than that to join in the first place. Charge the same as existing and I would join. Charge more, and I will not.

It is not even about the extra cost here, it is the goddam principle.
    Thats your call. First off, we dont charge the full annual membership "off the bat". We charge pro rata for the months after membership is accepted. SO most will only pay a part year membership plus the joining fee to become members.

But with all the processes we go through every prospective member costs the club set up , time and administration from volunteers, and with most prospective members we had would sign up for the first part year then would not renew once the second year came around. If you have no problem paying the annual fee off the bat then it should not be an issue. We want members who are ongoing and dont just join up for a few months not to renew for the next full year. We have found that if the prospective members are not prepared to pay for the membership joining process, then they are unlikely to continue with long term membership.

If it was worded as a discount for prompt renewal each year afterwards would you be upset? What is the difference between a $60 membership fee and annual membership of $200 per full year or an annual membership of $260 with a $60 discount for early payment available to all current members?

Quote Originally Posted by time out View Post
    I never realised that I had that affect on you Maca - but I always enjoy your company
    it seems they are very proactive and are trying to engage with their members - often organizing trips for members
    Looks like they have an interesting meeting on Tuesday - come over and I will buy you a beer
    Yeah I joined BOP nzda this year. I havnt made it along to the club nights yet as it conflicts with work, but range days ect have all been awesome and everyone is very welcoming.

Also the facility and range are bloody fantastic. So cool being able to shoot out for a shot whenever it tickles my fancy or my schedule allows.

Will get along for a party hunt at some point in the near future too

Good to see two sides to this.
    Some interesting facts and stories emerging here.
    Like all clubs not everyone fits in.
    But that's not what my OP was about, even if it is a factor in your decision to join.
    I'm more asking to make it easier to join.
    I'd see if I could break that membership fee down to be paid monthly direct debit. (This is how I pay my membership here in the uk its painless to all parties imho).
    Also means less work on the administration side once the set up side has taken place.
    dannyb likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

NZDA has an ethical aspect and in principle members are vetted for good character, so need to be discussed at a monthly meeting. You can help this by turning up in person once or twice to club activities and make yourself known.
    This face to face aquaintance and "good bloke" reputation supports good relations with government departments, range and land owners enabling a lot of activities. So it's different from say open activities organised for internet all comers or paid public events for instance. All members are known, traceable, insured and responsible people to deal with. There are no anonymous, avatar or bot members on the roll.
    The internal accounting system for paying subs is pretty cumbersome and ought to be streamlined and does add a layer of mystery when you first join.
    The main thing is to follow up with the membership officer at your local branch over the first couple of months to check you get the membership card, online newsletters local and national and notices .
    As said, it is mostly volunteers doing it.
    Sideshow likes this.

I'm a bit of a bugger with clubs. Notwithstanding current situation concerning fees and lack of fundage on my part, I'm not a great fan of the lots of people thing.
    Small groups 10 max and I would probably have to know someone to go there in the first place. That's just me and probably why I don't know many people after 2 years in CHCH. That's my problem.
    I also don't suffer fools gladly, if the politics are wrong, they are welcome to it and I vote with my feet. I would have to be super invested in the club to try stick around and change it.
    Got burnt heavily as chair on a board of trustees on a small rural school in the nationwide school closures back in 2004ish.
    I couldn't be a politician. I had to be nice even if the parents and teachers fecking things up needed a right slapping. We did stay open though-only 3 schools out of 9 so must've done something right. Ah well
    Enough about me carry on...

Hi guys was a member of the Gore NZDA for years they only changed to new members having to go to 4 meetings and being seconded by an existing member because a helluvalot of guys from all over joined the branch just to be able to hunt on Glenary station where they have been running a permit system and ballot for the last 40 years from march to July they never turned up to meetings helped at working bees etc fair enough I say! I moved to Queenstown and joined the SLNZDA great club awesome vibe and easy to meet people to hunt with as I guess the area gets a lot of people coming and going so more open than clubs with a static membership.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt4life View Post
    Like any organisation (especially where mainly older men run the show), egomaniacs tend to rise to the top and their personal politics dictates the feel or mood.
    I know from personal experience at three different branches what some guys are referring to about being made to feel unwelcome. North Auckland was awful in the early 90’s when I wanted to join up and learn from experienced hunters. So I didn’t give them my money and taught myself. Bastards.
    Drury was an awkward affair too a few years back. I didn’t join. Meetings were more like a chest beating collective at the pub than a fun sharing environment and no one would offer to take a young guy out to show him the basics.
    I’m now at BOP and have paid subs happily. Still obvious politics but much more inviting and encouraging than I’ve encountered elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Strangely enough I found North Auckland to be the opposite of how you describe it in the 90s
    I went along to Auckland and then North Auckland and personally found the Guys at North Auckland far more welcoming, however this was around 5 years ago and members come and go.
    Hunt4life likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt4life View Post
    Like any organisation (especially where mainly older men run the show), egomaniacs tend to rise to the top and their personal politics dictates the feel or mood.
    I know from personal experience at three different branches what some guys are referring to about being made to feel unwelcome. North Auckland was awful in the early 90’s when I wanted to join up and learn from experienced hunters. So I didn’t give them my money and taught myself. Bastards.
    Drury was an awkward affair too a few years back. I didn’t join. Meetings were more like a chest beating collective at the pub than a fun sharing environment and no one would offer to take a young guy out to show him the basics.
    I’m now at BOP and have paid subs happily. Still obvious politics but much more inviting and encouraging than I’ve encountered elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Funnily I joined the Nth Auck NZDA about 91 , I never had any problems what so ever in the shooting or hunting stakes . But then again I wasn't expecting anyone to hold my hand and lead me around either .

I asked the NZDA official page(natex) how can I join if theres no branch in my area.
    There is the option of joining what is called the "Direct Branch". Im not sure what the fees are for being a direct member?? anyone else a direct member??

Other than trying to start a branch in my area I may join my old branch again. But thats nearly a hour and a half on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Reindeer View Post
    I asked the NZDA official page(natex) how can I join if theres no branch in my area.
    There is the option of joining what is called the "Direct Branch". Im not sure what the fees are for being a direct member?? anyone else a direct member??

Other than trying to start a branch in my area I may join my old branch again. But thats nearly a hour and a half on the road.
    Wanganui NZDA brroke away from the NZDA and are now the Wanganui & Districts Hunters &Stalkers ????? .