Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: NZDA

I joined the AKL branch about 1970`s/75, found the same thing, if you didn't have a land rover nobody wanted to know you. Went to the range with my new .308 PH standard rifle and two boxes of amo, after shooting the forty rounds a guy said you can reload those cases again and he showed me how. I think I loaded then about 20 times each case and have never bought live rounds again, so you do learn something. I went on a few party hunts and found the forest parks then just went hunting by myself. I had a few guys on some hunts with me but were green as, "By the way, do Hinds have antlers to", and other ones as soon as they got into the bush would have a panic attack, to far away from the pie shop. So I just went hunting by my self and back with the A K L branch, good to have shoot at the range, working bees, no go with my hip op and meetings I can't hear a thing, to lowed , hearing aids, but ok to hear a Sika squeal .
    csmiffy likes this.

Yes that's what it's all about
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

I'd just like a copy of the insurance policy, that I'm covered by if I join..... before I join........
    mikee likes this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

The one in Hutt Valley is run by some grumpy old cnts. all i do is use the range for load development and sighting in. It seems like the attitude is pay the subs and piss off don't ask questions. Anything more like booking the range or change to a different category of subs, I just get the tell off first before I get any of my questions answered. Such a couple of simple and easy questions that every new member would ask becomes an email bouncing argument. It would have saved a lot of time and frustration if they just answered my straight questions and be done with it. I agree with hunt4life egomaniacs is a big problem. They say it's all run by volunteers so everyone should respect their time and effort, yes sure, but that does not give one the right to be an asshole. I'm a member of a service rifle club and a few other private shooting ranges. happily paying subs to good helpful groups. Even if it costs few times more.
    Hunt4life, Dublin and outlander like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankd View Post
    Wanganui NZDA brroke away from the NZDA and are now the Wanganui & Districts Hunters &Stalkers ????? .
    Yep, and with what I gather was alot of bad blood and was over 30 years ago.
    Some cant move on.
    I am a member of this club and have been for years. I have mooted re-joining NZDA many times and even organised natex members to come to the club and speak. Some of the guys in the club cant get past history and paying the capitation and thats fair enough, for them.
    That fact alone I believe has been the single biggest downfall of the NZDA is the value for money factor. "What do I get for my capitation??"
    It is only in times of crisis where it suddenly becomes a bit clearer, however, I believe NZDA still has a long way to go to encourage members to join and give those members a bit more "tangible" benefit.

Sometimes I think its simple economics which keeps guys out of NZDA. Too fecking miserable to spend a few bucks on membership. At the end of the day it isnt a few bucks .Fees vary depending on branch $80 - $110 for full voting senior membership. Then the elephant in the room says "what do i get for my money?" Hunting has prob been the easiest and most productive now than any other time in recent history and A LOT of blokes simply dont "need" or want to join NZDA cause they can sit their fat arse on a quad and shoot some meat for the freezer without really breaking a sweat. Some of these guys never had the hard hunting of the 70s and 80s or have simply forgot?

Do I think NZDA have dropped the ball on occasion? Yeah, maybe, but in the same token what are our expectations? Are they realistic!!!! of a mostly volunteer org with small cashflow.
    Kiwis as a people are really good at sitting back and chastising so long as their neck isn't the one on the block and are self proclaimed experts that "can do it better!" but never step up.

Having said that how many advocacy groups/foundations have been started by NZDA members because there wasnt enough traction from the natex.
    But, Again, what were our expectations?

On the back of this movement (tahrmageddon) which has been spurred on by an attack on what hunters hold dear. Is it time to make hay so to speak, Build on this energy change an org or create a new one to better suit the needs of Todays hunter in the modern environment. We need blue sky thinkers not nay sayers.
    Last edited by Reindeer; 30-09-2018 at 12:08 AM.

Quite nicely put.

If your not into the 'club' type thing, which is fine, then simply join up the national branch through wellington so that you are still supporting an organisation thats working for your interests.
    This also means you are covered by the insurance, can enter the national trophy competition, online wildlife mag and access to various facilities such as huts or lodges.
    It gives the hunting community more credibility with a show of numbers rather than a bunch of individuals that cant work together.
    shooternz and Sideshow like this.
    Save our Tahr. They belong in the southern alps.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    I belong as an oldie to Taupo, get a key to the range, means I can use it when down there. Tried Bop a couple of times and have felt like a spare prick at a wedding each time, so never returned.
    You might be right Maca - I had the same feeling last night - an hour or more of listening to Crimpy blathering on about African safaris and I was bored shitless and fell asleep - but he convinced me that I didn’t need to go to Botswana to shoot a Zebra and have to eat the balls off the first animal I killed
    Must have been eighty turned out and not one person spoke to me - but I sat down and spoke with one who lived near where I used to shoot goats out from Otarahanga 50 years ago - a small world

LOC
    Quote Originally Posted by time out View Post
    Must have been eighty turned out and not one person spoke to me - but I sat down and spoke with one who lived near where I used to shoot goats out from Otarahanga 50 years ago - a small world
    But it sounds like you got a 100% strike rate on the people YOU spoke to

Yip that’s right for that lot iam still a member but only for the range

It sounds a bit fuddy-duddy (OK so I'm closer to 60 than 50 so maybe it is) but with clubs and things its always been my experience that you'll get the same amount back as you put in - if you offer nothing (except wanting to use facilities) then you'll get bugger all out of it. Doesn't matter if its NZDA, Rodeo, Rugby etc etc.

Sure members should make an effort to talk to new folk, but a club is not a forum, where all participants can share all conversations.

There was recently a thread on "spot x" on this forum and why they are not readily shared, a club is no different, its going to take a while for your credibility and integrity to be established, and until they are invitations to go hunting are unlikely to be forthcoming.

Many NZDA clubs have organised shoots for Wallabies, goats or the like, make sure you do what it takes to get onto these and if people like your style and your F/A handling then maybe invitations will follow.

I've hunted with heaps of guys from this forum, the other forum, and various club contacts, most have been OK but its fair to say that some of them I couldn't be bothered with again, often not their fault as such but personalities rule (and undoubtedly there are people out there that would do anything rather than hunt with me again!)
    Beaker, Boaraxa and Steve123 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    It sounds a bit fuddy-duddy (OK so I'm closer to 60 than 50 so maybe it is) but with clubs and things its always been my experience that you'll get the same amount back as you put in - if you offer nothing (except wanting to use facilities) then you'll get bugger all out of it. Doesn't matter if its NZDA, Rodeo, Rugby etc etc.

Sure members should make an effort to talk to new folk, but a club is not a forum, where all participants can share all conversations.

There was recently a thread on "spot x" on this forum and why they are not readily shared, a club is no different, its going to take a while for your credibility and integrity to be established, and until they are invitations to go hunting are unlikely to be forthcoming.

Many NZDA clubs have organised shoots for Wallabies, goats or the like, make sure you do what it takes to get onto these and if people like your style and your F/A handling then maybe invitations will follow.

I've hunted with heaps of guys from this forum, the other forum, and various club contacts, most have been OK but its fair to say that some of them I couldn't be bothered with again, often not their fault as such but personalities rule (and undoubtedly there are people out there that would do anything rather than hunt with me again!)
    Agree with your comments.

I just want some - I would have thought easy to give - information, before making the decision to join.

And from where I am at, if I was a NZDA member purely for the insurance and range access (and I know of quite a few people that are members for these reasons), I'd be concerned if I hadn't read THE policy details.

NZDA have some fantastic facilities around the country to.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Cook Strait ferry is booked and paid for and then my brother sends me the link for NZDA cheap crossing rates