Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Oamaru Hut

Oamaru Hut

Planning a bit of a get away with a few mates this weekend, long overdue. Trip is subject to weather blowing over as its forecasted, or blowing a bit further North would be nice.

Anyone been in there lately? what condition is the bush like in and around that area? Deer numbers? I'm sure that area gets a lot of pressure being accessible for Sika.

This will be my first time hunting Sika as well, what sort of habits should i consider?
    The usual, sidle and climb until you find the fresh sign to see which altitude they're hanging out at? focus on north faces where the sun gets to? Up the Kaipo river looks to have a few spots which would catch the morning sun nicely.

Haven't hunted that side but the bush should be ok. Yep find the sign and then slow right down, when you think you are going slow enough slow down some more.

If I was going in there would probably hunt the public land adjacent to the Poronui boundary. If you do make sure to stay on the right side, they don't f around with poachers.

I will be in on the Clements side this weekend.

Good luck.
    7mmwsm, Micky Duck and hotsoup like this.

might get a dusting on before light saturday morning......southeasterlies ......might scare a few armed campers off and still be productive if your walking thru poronui i would hunt from the hut down to jap creek....if your going over te iringa you might get lucky before you get to the tikitik

Def don't stray onto Poronui. You will be charged with illegal hunting and loose your firearms licence.

They even get a bit nasty if you walk thru the public track with your bolt in your gun so be warned.

I used to have a bit of success up the Kaipo on the left hand side of the river. Cut up to the left before the swing bridge and mooch around up there all day. This time of the year look for nice sheltered spots in the sun with feed close by. Find the sign. Slow right down.

They are also deer fencing the entire boundary and are currently culling the farm/farm edge so that probably won't help that side. Some young fellas shot a nice 8 200m from the hut on friday

Cheers Lads.
    @scotty yeah, weather looks to be on the chilly side, bit of sleet might get a dusting of snow up high. I'm hoping it'll scare off a few guys as well. We plan on walking in through the Poronui station, thanks for the advice @tac a1 What you mentioned with heading up the Kaipo was kind of what i had planned to do, looks like a few little NE - N facing patches in there from satellite imagery.

We were in there over Matarikie weekend, 4 of us hunting no deer seen on our block, heaps of sign in the thick as bush.
    The hut had a possum that needed to be chased of the roof nightly.
    Good luck, my theory is there is heaps of feed in the bush so they don't need to come out in the open.
    We were in the Oamaru private hut across the river, we watched a poacher on Poranui while we sat up across the river admiring the sika we couldn't get

I won’t go private Oamaru anymore. Partly dislike of Helisika.
    But mostly because it gets hammered at night worse than a liquor store in South Auckland without bollards and a steel roller door.

Took a few kids in last time, and there was a group of older fellas in before us, getting backloaded out, two flights of them.
    Was talking to one of the guys waiting for his ride, he was complaining they never saw anything out in the open.
    And how they had to spend hours at night with the thermal to get animals!

Oamaru private has been "hammered" at night time for 40 plus years, haven't been there since Air Charter "lost" it. Sika eat a lot of leaf litter at this time of the year, won't find much of it out on the flats.
    7mmwsm, BRADS, Projects and 3 others like this.

Hunted in private block with a couple of mates August last year, our first time for Sika as well. I had me dog with me who's nefariously noisey in bush so opted to watch open area's while the boys focused on Bush hunting. They saw the most sign up the back of the block a bit higher up but didn't bump anything.
    While me and doggo managed to bowl a stag it was the only deer seen, oh apart from the 3 sprinting across the air strip at first light one morning lol. Very skittish in the open, I'd agree with other comments on the hammering of this block. I think my stag was just trying to get some sun. Very frosty mornings. Good luck.
    Sika 8 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by superdiver View Post
    They are also deer fencing the entire boundary and are currently culling the farm/farm edge so that probably won't help that side. Some young fellas shot a nice 8 200m from the hut on friday
    Lame, that will slow down a couple of my fav old haunts

She can get a bit chilly in there this time of the year

Name:  D5E3C167-5319-4E7A-965A-01B52691EEB6.jpeg
Views: 892
Size:  23.4 KB

On the way in thru poronui

Name:  8FA3D79F-F791-48FA-B17A-040AC4553901.jpeg
Views: 932
Size:  137.0 KB

I would have seen 50+ deer that morning on the walk in, makes it interesting.

Always plenty of animals in the Oamaru, surprising given the amount of people that hunt in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bush Basher View Post
    She can get a bit chilly in there this time of the year

Attachment 229369

On the way in thru poronui

Attachment 229370

I would have seen 50+ deer that morning on the walk in, makes it interesting.

Always plenty of animals in the Oamaru, surprising given the amount of people that hunt in there.
    What's the track like through there I was thinking of taking my mountain bike through to the hut.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 25/08 IMP View Post
    What's the track like through there I was thinking of taking my mountain bike through to the hut.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
    No bikes allowed mate

Unless you want to go over Te Iringa, but that would be a bloody mission I reckon, people do it though