Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: The one that got away...

Quote Originally Posted by Scouser View Post
    Not really BH, the last time i was in the Kiamanawas, I was 'barked' at by a Sika hind, knew she was behind some windfall & bush, put one in the pipe, shouldered the rifle and held me breath....

she then appeared where i was not expecting, so put my crosshairs on the the next open piece of ground, held my breath....held it a bit longer...then heard her crash away to my left.....goneburger....that was it out of 2 days hunting!!!!!!

till next time...........
    Doesn't need bone to be a trophy mate or in this instance a trophy lost ha

I missed a 230DS fallow a few years ago and got caught with my pants down by a 25"sambar and it didn't bother me but losing a good red is my kryptonite.

Persistance pays off mate, go back. Probably saw this during the roar but this stag gave me the run around for years

http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...vendetta-6737/
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Persistance pays off mate, go back. Probably saw this during the roar but this stag gave me the run around for years

http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...vendetta-6737/
    I remember that story, the first two lines are what I live by and why I'm so gutted that I stuffed this chance up.

Kaimais yesterday:

Spooked some hinds lying up next to a dead 6 point stag which looked to be few years old, very unusual I thought. The tag along was a old mate of mine who wanted to test out his fitness levels and see what this hunting thing is all about. The hunting was almost over with 20 minutes left of walking to do, and I had chosen a open ridge to walk back along as I couldn't be bothered with the nightmare supplejack no more and either could my mate. Then from my right 25m away a animal erupts from the bush and crosses over to my left (Insert slow motion here). As it was doing this I saw timber on its head and then began whistling several times. It stopped just before dropping over the ridge, arse on and looked back at me. What an impressive sight I thought! Rifle raised, and I looked down the scope but couldn't see it? I should add here I had to take a shot through a gap in two trunks 30cm apart which was making finding the stag difficult. Looked up from the scope, and saw it still in its stare position. Rifle up, this time I can find the stag, steadied myslef best I could and let rip for the neck. Silence follwed. I chambered another round and walked quickly to the spot I had last seen it. Nothing was found I looked over the ridge into the green canopy of fern and saw and heard no movement. The desperate grid search for blood drops followed but to no avail. I owed the stag that much to make sure it wasn't hit. Stags 2, homo 0.
    Maca49, BushHunter and madmaori like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusky View Post
    Ok here's my story of the one that got away. It's very simple and short, but still has me shaking my head after a year has gone by.

End of roar (1st weekend of May) I was on a private hunting block. Dawn came with a misty type of drizzle, and no wind. I was off to a track not far from the hut and began my quiet stroll down the due layered grass and soft mud. It was eerily quiet and upon reaching the end of the track I looked around and decided breaky was in order so began my walk back. Half way back around a bend I spied a mob of goats doing what goats do best, nothing. They saw me, and I stopped to see what they would do. One goat in particular was looking at me, then back up the hill along the track and at me, then up the track again. Must be another goat up there I thought. So I took 5 small steps around the bend to look up the track I had just come down 30 minutes earlier. There before me on the track in the mist 60 yards away standing side on looking at me was a stag with a head full of points. Bloody oath! I lost count at 8 points before raising the rifle and having deer full in my scope let rip. Looking up from the scope, the stag looked at me some what confused but not crumbling like I had imagined. Fark, I missed? Another bullet up the spout, Boom! Again nothing? Then he decided it was an appropriate time to fark off and casually trot off into the bush. I chased in pursuit, and fired a hale marry at the back of its head. Again nothing. I then stopped and checked for any blood in the area and grumpily admitted defeat. Upon returning to the hut, the old buggers with the kettle on and breaky cooking looked at the expression on my face and new something was up. Without a word to them, I set up a target 60 yards away on a stump, let 3 shots go and hit the target every time. Not the rifles fault, just the muppet behind it was my conclusion. I decided I must have pulled the trigger all 3 times as I certainly didn't have buck fever and was composed in at least 2 of the shots. This is my story of the one that got away which would have been my first stag!
    bugger in the words of Yoda " there is another "
    OPCz

If in doubt double tap

Even good hunters like me miss a few . I still check that I missed & do the walk of shame if no deer found . Your misses teach you to be better at shooting your deer .

It was a difficult shot for myself, but one that could have gone either way if the bullet had connected. That walk of shame is horrible, especially back to the car replaying the scene over and over and thinking what I could have done better. In this instance I couldn't wait out the stag and I had stopped it with a few whistles to generate some curiosity for the shot. So all was in motion for the taking, and my lack of skills (shooting) let me down. Back to sulking and dreaming.

Many years ago was walking into Totara flats in the Tararua's with two mates, they were yapping theirs heads of and one was pretty unfit. Stopped for the twentieth time! So I said I'd quietly walk on ahead, this I was on the main hi way in, had an old cut down 303, with rounds in the mag an bolt close dose them,not expecting anything, fark me round the corner and two hinds haven't a latte in the middle of the track, how long does it take to cycle a bolt!!!!! Then to totally confuse me one went up the other down, shit I was pissed!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Lost For Time
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusky View Post
    It was a difficult shot for myself, but one that could have gone either way if the bullet had connected. That walk of shame is horrible, especially back to the car replaying the scene over and over and thinking what I could have done better. In this instance I couldn't wait out the stag and I had stopped it with a few whistles to generate some curiosity for the shot. So all was in motion for the taking, and my lack of skills (shooting) let me down. Back to sulking and dreaming.
    Pick ya lip up, it will still be there next time
    Identify your target beyond all doubt !

I nearly married a good looking pig, seen her lately, Im glad she got away, I think I saw her just enough!
    Dawg likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough