Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: One of those days...

even when we were culling we had days like that - towards end of targeting block for our 3 month stint in scrub we could get down to one or two goats or deer in a week - a lot of days carefully bush stalking for bugger all - very important that you take breaks from the concentration needed - sit down and think about something else then when you can concentrate again get up and go again - and keep that bloody rifle in your hands not slung over your shoulder - ya just asking to see a deer gallop off - we never used one culling for that reason not one of us in my crews
    Woody, MB, yeah_na_missed and 1 others like this.

Dont worry MB i had a really morning last Tuesday,missed 3 deer (full view top to toe)inside 200yds,broad side and no wind.All about a hr apart each,not the same deer.All three i aimed in center of the sholder,nothing fancy.Inside 200yds easy shooting to me i thort.Couldnt believe it,nothing loose on the rifle,il be going to the range in the next calm evening.
    MB likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    even when we were culling we had days like that - towards end of targeting block for our 3 month stint in scrub we could get down to one or two goats or deer in a week - a lot of days carefully bush stalking for bugger all - very important that you take breaks from the concentration needed - sit down and think about something else then when you can concentrate again get up and go again - and keep that bloody rifle in your hands not slung over your shoulder - ya just asking to see a deer gallop off - we never used one culling for that reason not one of us in my crews
    @Barry the hunter, Hum, the thought did occur after a full day in the bush and stuffing up an absolute sitter... "gee what a culler I'd be". @MB great write up. Failure is how we learn (I hate this saying)
    MB likes this.
    "Death - our community's number one killer"

Quote Originally Posted by Snoppernator View Post
    @Barry the hunter, Hum, the thought did occur after a full day in the bush and stuffing up an absolute sitter... "gee what a culler I'd be". @MB great write up. Failure is how we learn (I hate this saying)
    yah likely be a good one - it was not all about hunting - cooking was a huge plus - you were 3 months in camp with two or three others ya had to be able to cook - every two three days it was your turn -we could always handle someone who was learning to hunt but a shit cook - nah that was ya gut ruled - a shit cook got the message long before someone learning to hunt

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoppernator View Post
    @ MB great write up.
    Not really. If I got one of those piggies, I would have written four times as much and there would have been photos, plus a medal that I would have awarded to myself!
    Eat Meater likes this.

Never underestimate the ability of you game you hunt , further more never underestimate a well tuned hunter . With years of hunting experience we still make stupid mistakes .
    MB likes this.

So went for a walk on Friday with the idea to site a camera and check a couple of spots I've found before that I thought had promise.
    Carried the rifle cause it's nearly been 12 months since the dog and I got our first genuine bush deer.
    Finally got to general area of a secluded bench I'd been looking for, requires negotiating a steep decent to access it only to realise I'm not quite where I thought I was.....@#$%...
    Sigh, oh well, back up we go.. crash thump smash wallop... 2 young stags are suddenly standing in front of me but only for long enough to get my rifle half way up to my shoulder.
    Dog and I look at each still trying to process what just happened, I walk the 20 yards to where they were only to realise I am actually on the bench I was looking for only on it's true right instead of it's true left.
    Bugger! So I go setup my camera and several hours later am at home putting my feet up with a cuppa only to realise I haven't turned the f..... camera on.
    So Saturday morning finds me back trying to locate said bench to turn the f... camera on.
    I thought I might as well take some photos and video of the area cause people are often asking what's it like in the bush.
    As I'm panning round I become aware that a stag is photo bombing my video!!?#@$% I drop the phone, pick up my rifle but I never see him again
    Name:  View recent photos.jpeg
Views: 87
Size:  201.8 KB
    When I reviewed the video I can see the dog turn to the noise of him coming through and the above is the best screen shot of him.
    I keep finding new ways to cock it up
    MB, dannyb and techno retard like this.