Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Oteake Heli cull

Oteake Heli cull

I just found out yesterday that there was a bit of search and destroy in the Manuhurikea catchment in the winter. Has the whole of Oteake been done as well?
    If anyone has more information can you please let me know. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WireWorking View Post
    I just found out yesterday that there was a bit of search and destroy in the Manuhurikea catchment in the winter. Has the whole of Oteake been done as well?
    If anyone has more information can you please let me know. Thanks
    By whom, and for what species?

I also got told they were culling red deer up there over winter. The guy who told me said his brother was doing some of the flying for it. Not sure what exact area or how many they got. Had a couple of mates go up around naseby side about 2 weeks ago and said there's reasonable deer numbers up there didn't struggle to find a couple of shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by silentscope View Post
    I also got told they were culling red deer up there over winter. The guy who told me said his brother was doing some of the flying for it. Not sure what exact area or how many they got. Had a couple of mates go up around naseby side about 2 weeks ago and said there's reasonable deer numbers up there didn't struggle to find a couple of shooters.
    Who is "they" ?
    Maxx likes this.

From what I understand a group of local run holders have funded the culling, they have been doing it for years with geese.
    It looks like deer and pigs have been targeted.

If it’s the one I know of, it was a pre lambing pig cull unsure on deer. This was on private land near by. I know alpine shoot some farms so maybe they had a run over the back country aswell

Is this the same area Duley drove thru? If so looks like slaughter country.

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    Is this the same area Duley drove thru? If so looks like slaughter country.
    Not far from where they were filming.

Banned
    I remember on one TV show it was mentioned that several local farmers graze the area for a short period each summer, if they have some sort of lease they may be required to undertake control of invasive species

NRT
    Quote Originally Posted by Brindog View Post
    Yeah the duleys went into the oteake big open country too its going to be a difficult cull by the looks of the country in there.
    Out of a chopper ,you couldn't get it any easier.

Sent from my Nokia X20 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    I remember on one TV show it was mentioned that several local farmers graze the area for a short period each summer, if they have some sort of lease they may be required to undertake control of invasive species
    There's a pastoral lease for a few months over summer but no special conditions requiring them to manage wild animals on the PCL. There's far more sheep up there than deer
    Micky Duck likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    There's a pastoral lease for a few months over summer but no special conditions requiring them to manage wild animals on the PCL. There's far more sheep up there than deer
    Well it is a shame if country like that is culled ( we dont have actual proof) when deer are not going to do any harm to the modified landscape anyway and hunters can control numbers and recover whole animals. Better to heavily cull / control in the unmodified areas and leave that driving access country as an offset surly.

Well it is a shame if country like that is culled ( we dont have actual proof) when deer are not going to do any harm to the modified landscape anyway and hunters can control numbers and recover whole animals. Better to heavily cull / control in the unmodified areas and leave that driving access country as an offset surly.
    stop being so logical.....
    RUMPY likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Yeah I mean DOC haven't done anything, I doubt private landowners will have been paying to shoot deer on the PCL, so without details and actual data it's just spreading misinformation
    outdoorlad and Micky Duck like this.

private landholders around here often do a aerial cull for pigs once a year...and at times there is a river thrashing done with freezer truck parked on road..hasnt happened for awhile with prices being low for meat and high for fuel.... one would guess if operator had WARO permit for the area...it could be done anytime the urge to have a bomb up was felt....
    75/15/10 black powder matters