Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Packs with built-in scabbards...any good??

Ended up with one of these... good price and just the right size... seems well designed and is comfy. Hopefully get to try it out Easter weekend

RIDGELINE CAMO MEDIUM HYDRO BACKPACK $79.99 30L | Trade Me

I tend to carry my rifle unless its a long grunt and I don't intend to be hunting it.

Those huntsmart packs have a good idea in that rifle release. I see they are going to bring out a kit you can attach to another pack . Ive been wondering if I could make something myself along those lines using the release from a skydiving chute bag.
    Guy Fawks the only man to enter parliament with the interests of the people in mind

Proneshooter - would be curious to know how that goes in the field.

Damn, things are cheap as these days. People bitch about Chinese quality but compared to the old days there is so much choice now.

My hunters element pack has one, never used it. i always carry my rifle in the bush. Unless i was tramping into a hut over barren country cant see myself ever using one.Could be handy thou on the tops and more open country.

I was browsing the Hunters Element packs last night. Never used a rifle scabbard and am unlikely to, however, this looked like something I could add fairly easily to my own Huntech pack. Might help when climbing up and down steep stuff when both hands are needed to hang on.

Hunters Element Contour Pack Rifle Scabbard - YouTube
    If it's outdoors, it's all good!

Cheers for the link KN, that looks a lot better than the big mess I had planned to add to my pack.

Might be just me but I can see that getting caught on shit and dropping your rifle,me and those plastic clip things dont have a good track record.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

On the few occasions I have been hunting (well once actually) this year I have used a fail-safe method of rifle carry. Its called the VC Pack horse.

When you get out of the car it asks you for your rifle, stuffs it in its flash harry pack, and then fucks off up the track at 9000 miles an hour.

If you want to use your rifle you just have to keep up................ how ever its not available at "any chemist" and does not come with free stuff and seems to operate solely on beer, (brand unimportant).
    veitnamcam, BRADS, Nibblet and 1 others like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

sneakywaza I got
    Must be getting on a bit...... Still got my old K2 pack, tough as nails pack- has a built in hook and stock strap specifically for rifle carrying, leaves your hands free but with practice you can pop the clip and get the rifle off the hook and spin the rifle in a"deer stalkers draw" while standing without taking the pack off, not much slower than spinning the rifle off your shoulder when slung and you can put it back again on the move. Not a fan of those scabbards, rifle sitting way low and a pain to access quickly, but I've never tried it either. Not a fancypants new age pack, looks like an 80's Groupie gettup, but I love it to bits, they might still make them.

Quote Originally Posted by oneipete View Post
    Ive been wondering if I could make something myself along those lines using the release from a skydiving chute bag.
    If you mean the main cutaway - don't bother. Way overkill for this application, and a bit fiddly to reset each time you want to just clip your rifle back on. A fastex clip is much simpler.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    On the few occasions I have been hunting (well once actually) this year I have used a fail-safe method of rifle carry. Its called the VC Pack horse.

When you get out of the car it asks you for your rifle, stuffs it in its flash harry pack, and then fucks off up the track at 9000 miles an hour.

If you want to use your rifle you just have to keep up................ how ever its not available at "any chemist" and does not come with free stuff and seems to operate solely on beer, (brand unimportant).
    must be the world's best bag too as it finds you deer

I took my ebelstock into the Kawekas recently, it was awesome. Great for the long walk back to the hut or the walk out if your mate has a shooter ready to go. I would not reccomend them for bush hunting, but tops or open country they are great.
    You can pull your rifle out for a quick shot, but you won't beat some one carrying their rifle normally.

Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    must be the world's best bag too as it finds you deer
    Deer finding app crashed that day

But apparently it does have a built in "butchering" app, Carrying app and Upgraded Beer drinking Pro app.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

I took it for a walk in the Hunuas on monday (man I love long weekends)

VERY comfy, good length so the hip belt sits on the hips (I am 6' 2") not my belly button.

Very quiet also... generally very impressed and at the price really cant argue

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    Proneshooter - would be curious to know how that goes in the field.

Damn, things are cheap as these days. People bitch about Chinese quality but compared to the old days there is so much choice now.

Following this with more interest now.

Went to put on my 26 year old Macpac today to find after all those years of being in storage it had shrunk.

Waist belt and Shoulder straps are now at Max length, go figure. If I actually want to wear clothes while hunting might need something else