Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 7 Post By roryd0904
  • 1 Post By MB
  • 1 Post By roryd0904
  • 1 Post By MB

Thread: Peahen & .22WMR

Peahen & .22WMR

Managed to sneak out on a short walk to chase some peafowl today. Fantastic fun, and quite a challenge for a novice peafowl hunter! I imagine it would be a lot easier with a shotgun, but I adore my cheap Marlin .22WMR with 4x32 budget scope attached. I must say, I find the .22 Magnum to be a brilliant calibre, it's just so versatile! I've seen too many small game species (rabbit, possum) not quite drop to inaccurate .22LR shots, which is never a great look. .22WMR takes marginal inaccuracies out of the equation, and can be great for learner shooters too - it simply stops small game in its tracks. My partner, a crack shot but prone to the jitters as a relative newbie, loves the reliability of the little mag. Furthermore, it's the perfect calibre for humane euthanasia of cattle, I've found (vet in real life)!

Anyhow, here's the lovely hen I took at 20 metres. Really chuffed. Have chopped up the breast meat and its marinating overnight - anyone got any experience with cooking peafowl? Any help much appreciated!

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MB
    Good stuff, but I won't hear anything said against 22LR

Have you tried 22WMR subsonic? Could be another string to your bow.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Brilliant! That would make a huge difference, she certainly lets off a good crack! Maybe something to try when lamping rabbits etc. Cheers!

I have the exact same Marlin, how do you find the accuracy?

If you use .22 WMR subs you may as well just use a .22lr in my opinion.

Banned
    It defies logic that you would buy a Magnum then shoot subs out of it . The cost alone doesnt add up.

Good point Andrew - variable! I've found mine is sweet as a nut for what I need with the Winchester Super X FMJ 40gr loads.

But, I've had some hugely variable results with other ammunitions. Owned the gun for 6 years, and I wouldn't buy any other ammunition now unless my hand was forced.

Just looked up ft./lbs for .22WMR subsonics and that's pretty true!
    Andrew46826 likes this.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew46826 View Post
    If you use .22 WMR subs you may as well just use a .22lr in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by sportco62 View Post
    It defies logic that you would buy a Magnum then shoot subs out of it . The cost alone doesnt add up.
    Only if you have a 22LR. You'd have to shoot a lot of ammo to make up the cost of another rifle and scope etc. It's just for fun remember!
    Andrew46826 likes this.

just breast them out, sliced up thin, bit of cook n coat. Same as a turkey avoid eating in the real dry months

Jingos 22 mag? A 22 PCP at 20m is very easy to head shot, would do the trick and no noise.

Quote Originally Posted by roryd0904 View Post
    I find the .22 Magnum to be a brilliant calibre, it's just so versatile!
    The .22WMR is a highly underrated cartridge in my opinion. The only real limitation is that it isn't allowed on DOC land, but if you want to step up then the mighty .22Hornet is less raucous than a .222/.223 and well up to the task.

Anyhow, here's the lovely hen I took at 20 metres. Really chuffed. Have chopped up the breast meat and its marinating overnight - anyone got any experience with cooking peafowl? Any help much appreciated!

Cheers
    I have used peafowl for biltong quite a bit. Breasts often don't have too much flavoir of their own but the drumsticks can, and they're rather chewier. It helps if you snap the feet off and you can often pull the tendons through with them.

If I were to cook it, i'd probably go for a yoghurt marinade and a slow cast iron pan cooking. Pick any asian, indian, african, jamaican style of curry.
    Breasts could probably be used in place of any meat in a stirfry or laksa or depending how thick they are, filleted crumbed and served.

Quote Originally Posted by roryd0904 View Post
    Just looked up ft./lbs for .22WMR subsonics and that's pretty true!
    Same heeled projectile of same weight at same velocity == same FPE (and trajectory)
    The only Government to trust: .45-70