Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Poacher caught

Quote Originally Posted by Sako851 View Post
    Not the first time I have heard of ex owners family members poaching
    This was a massive problem for us when we looked after a 300 acre small holding in the Vic High Country, on an old privately owned soldier settlement block in the middle of the Alpine National Park.

There's a very comfy cabin, great hunting, feral brumbie catching one-way gates on the fence. The problem was the property is the trail head for a number of old tracks cut way back in the day.

We lost count of the number of unwelcome visits from the previous owner's family. They'd just turn up, camp there, base their horse treks from there. I was out shooting long range rabbits with the .223, the first time I ever took my youngest son. I took shot a bunny a long ways off, blew it up and out of the bushline about 60-70 yards down to the left, a man on horseback appeared, unimpressed. The resulting argument could quite easily have come to blows if my young 'un hadn't been there.

The last straw was when we came back after a hike to find them in the cabin, pissed as septic tank rats. I went into the pub in Benambra and had a yarn with the grandfather of this mob. I'd been told by my mate who owns the block that he was a GC. Grandpa fixed it and we didn't see anyone else for the duration of our stay (2 months). Just the way it works I guess.
    Dead is better, 308, Tommy and 2 others like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Poaching is really high up on my “ things that really f**king annoy me “ list .

Years ago there was a joke about how there was something like 40 acres of land for Kiwi alive and that a certain chopper pilot took his 40 acres with him everywhere he went .
    It was a mildly amusing joke , but underlying it was the fact that poaching was rife , widespread and somehow kind of tolerated because. “ boys will be boys “
    Poaching is wrong and its good to see authorities are taking it seriously for once .
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

Shoulda taken his gonads off him as well.....!!

That Gdad sounds like a GFC!!! Freakin BOSS level

Btw i cant think of a more low act than to bring shame onto my Grandad. He's 98 and an absolute legend. To have him dissapointed in me like that? Well i'd deserve it if i was a poacher. Fuck em.

I wonder though of how many of those commenting on this event have actually done poaching/illegal hunting themselves @ some time in the past....Hmmmmmmm. Don't believe every thing the media & Govt agencies say as history has recently proved.
    Poaching is wrong but some of the punishments mentioned on this forum are extreme & worse than the offence.....calm down everyone.
    NRT, 7mmwsm, Moa Hunter and 1 others like this.

Just think how many poachers are caught by the land owner and not dobbed in, a good hiding and a silage bail on there car usually gets the message through..
    Grouchy Smurf had it right all along...

Quote Originally Posted by Survy View Post
    Just think how many poachers are caught by the land owner and not dobbed in, a good hiding and a silage bail on there car usually gets the message through..
    I have previously wondered how many missing person cases started this way, bet it's n=>1
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

This week I finally plucked up the guts to call around a few places in hopes of getting on some private land to shoot some goats. On the first call the owner was over the moon to just have someone ask and not just go take their liberties, he even mentioned a few spots that hold deer. I can't help but feel all these poachers could do better with a bit of manners and try the front door, it'd likely pay off.

Quote Originally Posted by Survy View Post
    and just how many repercussions fall heavily afterwards....."the war of the flea" was an interesting book on guerilla warfare,one take away from that book is the land owner has a hell of a lot of ground to protect where as the flea can strike and run where ever they like....a bullet into someones 20k prize bull... would take the gloss off your day..a few holes poked in top of silage cover will stuff thousands of dollars of winter feed....
    Iv been the landowner dealing with poachers......have a tale to tell of a certain wannabe politition from another pub not too far from here..... its no fun trying to keep them out.
    Moa Hunter, bigbear and Finnwolf like this.

Do tell
    Jusepy likes this.

client from alaska with him..rode quad through our mutual neighbours which is where I spotted them...I zoomed around like headless chook trying to find them,did eventually...sitting on MY Leasehold block glassing for animals...I was fuming and read the riot act while approaching...realized who it was and calmed SLIGHTLY....was not impressed as he was guide on farm next door and had animals on own land...to take paying client off and into my block was a right royal arsehole of a thing to do.....somehow I dont think his client was impressed when he realized what the go was.32 years ago and remember it like it was yesterday...funny part was I took keys from his quad..didnt recognise it through the red mist even though Id driven it often enough when fencing with them...and my bike wouldnt start so got them to push me to crash start it LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Louie View Post
    This week I finally plucked up the guts to call around a few places in hopes of getting on some private land to shoot some goats. On the first call the owner was over the moon to just have someone ask and not just go take their liberties, he even mentioned a few spots that hold deer. I can't help but feel all these poachers could do better with a bit of manners and try the front door, it'd likely pay off.
    @Louie well done... door knocking is the way to go, to seal the deal drop off the farmer a box of beer as you never know who he might also put you in contact with!