Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

View Poll Results: How many deer do you shoot per year off public land?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll

14 12.96%

18 16.67%

7 6.48%

8 7.41%

7 6.48%
  • 5-10

18 16.67%
  • 10-20

13 12.04%
  • 20+

6 5.56%
  • Zero

17 15.74%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Poll: How many deer?

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Stop attention seeking you baby.
    veitnamcam, Pengy and BRADS like this.

I generally dont hunt public land as the places I have tried that are accessible are apparently too accessible and all I have ever found is carcasses. I have seen a few on public land but I shoot on private land as the only other people there get their photos sent to the police along with rego's etc.

Poll: How many deer do you shoot per year off public land?

5-10
    10-20
    20+
    Zero

View Poll Results

As im not sure on who is asking and this could have a two prong effect . I feel answering this poll could be used for other reasons . so decline to answer

I'm asking, for the personal purpose of trying to estimate average recreational hunter harvest of deer off public land. It will be used for no official purpose by anyone and really couldn't be given the totally loose nature of the data

lol. Theres always one
    Savage1, kiwijames, Munsey and 2 others like this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

I used to shoot a lot, several a month, had two big chest freezers chocker with meat. But these days I'm not shooting as many because the missus and I have got a bit tired of eating venison, and I enjoy watching them and filming them more than shooting them. These days I go through patches, a couple months without shooting anything, then a month and might shoot 6 or 7. On average I still shoot more than 20 a year though.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

I cant even remember! Spend so much time just watching, very little time shooting, but theres always venison in the freezer so maybe 3 or 4

I get out most weekends and try and average at least 1 pig or deer per month, (last year was 2 per month) most of mine are public but do have access to private. Get a real thrill shooting public animals and you dont have any rules other than that of the permit, so no farmer to piss off and then tell you no later

Hamish
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    I used to shoot a lot, several a month, had two big chest freezers chocker with meat. But these days I'm not shooting as many because the missus and I have got a bit tired of eating venison, and I enjoy watching them and filming them more than shooting them. These days I go through patches, a couple months without shooting anything, then a month and might shoot 6 or 7. On average I still shoot more than 20 a year though.
    Tired of eating venison, ah first world problems. I love it!
    Savage1, kimjon, Toby and 2 others like this.

After a while a lot of venison does get pretty ordinary. I'm looking forward to a roast two tooth(mutton) tomorrow night......hard done by I know;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam, kiwijames and Beaker like this.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Only hunt venison for the freezer now. With the son gone from home the meat requirements have gone down, so 3/4 a year is all that's required. when the son was home I would hunt more so 6/7 a year. when I was pig hunting full on I would average at least---- oh hang on it's how many deer not pork.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Really liking this thread, every day i look at the 'poll results, it makes this keyboard hunter feel better.......cant get away from Jaffaville much, only 5-6 weekends a year hunting.....but really enjoy everytime i get out!!!!!!
    gadgetman and Pengy like this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    I think that is a natural progression of any hunter. Much like fishing.
    The first ones were exciting, a real novelty. Then you slow down, take your time, buck fever not as strong. The more you get the greater your awareness becomes and you start observing their behavior and shooting with a camera. Taking others out to get their first which is just as rewarding. During the roar 6, 8 and 10pt are left in the search for greater challenges.
    I have done SFA in the last 2 years and probably at the stage where I start slowing down and taking more time before pulling the trigger
    veitnamcam, Pointer and Scouser like this.