Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Animal processing

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Take it to a butcher

20 24.69%
  • Take it to a mate who does it for me

5 6.17%
  • Cut it up myself

67 82.72%
  • Just take the back steaks and easy to carry meat

6 7.41%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Processing animals

Progressively more and more myself. Last lot I did sausies and mince myself too. Was a right PITA with the hand mincer. Will invest in a good electric number soon I think.

Its a pretty satisfying process doing the whole lot yourself. Will have a crack at salami and jerky next one I shoot.
    Preacher likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    Got my own chiller, so hang it for about five days. Then take in to the butcher mainly steak/mince mainly.$65ish comes back bagged and labeled.
    Young fella from down the road shot one couple weeks ago stuff both front shoulders, so took the back steaks and back legs and gave them to a old guy down the road that can't hunt no longer he was over the moon. Feed the rest to the working dogs.
    Legend
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Gone but not forgotten
    I do deer, pigs and sheep myself (got a fridge full of lamb right now), I grew up on a sheep farm and also did a few months in the meatworks during uni holidays. Homekill guy does the beefies, they are way beyond my knowledge/capabilities.

All small goods to the butcher that stuff is beyond me & mostly don't have the time even if I did no how but I can cut up pigs & sheep (they are the same) deer , cattle ..I got most of the shearers & some of the shedhands onto killing/butchering sheep as its so easy a couple of years ago was trying to help them save a few bucks & buy direct off the farmers so at the end of a shed we would have a slay up ended up quite entertaining especially watching the girls get into it , current prices killed that idea though muttons are around $150 at the mo .
    chillier is on the todo list , conclusion I don't no what box to tic
    Last edited by Boaraxa; 23-07-2018 at 10:16 PM.
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

all my game meat I do myself and have done sheep for years...my Mrs currently prefers spending $50-70 to get butcher to bandsaw muttons up...got to admit its plurry nice having all bar hams buzzed into chops when there is only 2 of us at home.even the ham roasts get buzzed down smaller.we had roast on saturday and shepherds pie with left overs tonight,enough left for tomorrow might and still got slices of cold meat for sammies .
    Boaraxa likes this.

For me the whole process is important, do all myself including sausage and salami. Also nearest butcher is an hour plus round trip and not particularly cost effective as far as I see it.

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    Yeah depends on where and how far you got to lug it out. Usually cut up steaks and get butcher to do schnitzel, snags and mince as it’s cheap as chips to get done properly.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

I try to do it myself but I'm hopeless. Just don't get out enough, see them when I'm out and only able to get the odd one when that happens. Perfect shit storm really.
    I do cut the lot up myself. It's either stewing steak or steak lol. Missus not a fan, the lad doesn't mind nor the B-in-law. Just as well I don't shoot many, I'd have to give it away.
    I wouldn't try a sheep or anything, to worried id bugger up a decent cut of meat.
    last one I got 18 months ago, we stuck it in the mates chiller for 3 weeks until I went back to the coast to get it.
    very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    all my game meat I do myself and have done sheep for years...my Mrs currently prefers spending $50-70 to get butcher to bandsaw muttons up...got to admit its plurry nice having all bar hams buzzed into chops when there is only 2 of us at home.even the ham roasts get buzzed down smaller.we had roast on saturday and shepherds pie with left overs tonight,enough left for tomorrow might and still got slices of cold meat for sammies .
    I take my muttton to the butcher as well. Get the front shoulders band sawn in to chops and just have the to back roast. $20. Just depends on how busy i am at work. The other option is i cut up the rest and freeze the front shoulders and when the wife goes to town she just gets them cut up frozen.

The front legs on a mutton I leave whole and cook as a roast.... beautiful..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Smiddy likes this.

It might be good idea if the odd member on here who get deer regularly do a demo.

I would be quite happy to bring out a whole one and demo cutting it up, mincing, making sausages and packing. It would be a fun half a day.
    It takes me about 20 minutes to skin and break one down on the hook, and then another 20 mins to bone it out.

If there are enough people interested in the Wellington area we could combine it with a lunch time bbq or something. So long as everyone buggers off early and no one drinks too much.

PM me if anyone is interested.
    berg243 and dannyb like this.

sounds good, I'd be keen as it would be a good time to catch up with other locals, as well and see others techniques. judging by you and Craig's reports you get plenty of animals to bring out whole.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    sounds good, I'd be keen as it would be a good time to catch up with other locals, as well and see others techniques. judging by you and Craig's reports you get plenty of animals to bring out whole.
    Nah. We are just full of shit really.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Mmmmmm might have to move closer to Wgtn