Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Pureora 1080

Banned
    Just looked at the summary map looks like it's only the north block thats for it.
    But the they are also going to do the whole erua block and the whole tongariro forest.
    no mention of deer repellant.
    Haven't seen much evidence of possums anywhere around here so guess deer are the target

Quote Originally Posted by Mohawk .308 View Post
    Even if they said deer repellent was to be used, who would know? Know ones there checking up are they? I think not
    Last time they dropped there was hunting while they did the pre-feed, wasn't allowed to enter the road they were flying off. The last drop was a narrow strip East of Ngaroma road

Quote Originally Posted by Mohawk .308 View Post
    A narrow strip that could have been done by controlled ground baiting?
    The Southern end of this area is heavily covered with bait stations, but are wasted space when baited at very irregular intervals, some done once in the last 3-4 years.

Any body know if this happened? How to find out? Hoping it didn't due to lockdown and I can get in some level 3 day hunts.
    matto1234 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    I was in one of those blocks before one of the first drops, the dawn chorus was deafening loudest I've heard ever. Mate has a recording of it somwhere, loud even on a crappy cellphone. No more now, like dawn silence by comparison.

DOC tells us it's better though...
    This is always a really interesting subject. Some of the places I go to regularly are like chalk and cheese between hunts. Sometimes the bird song is as you describe, deafening, and other times near silent. I think they are just like all animals and it is seasonal and weather etc related. I also think we lose more birds in storms than we realise too. Always hard to know and my view is to go a few times to get a really good idea. I do wonder with five minute bird counts that what if you do it on a great day or a bad day? One day's count could go either way really? I wonder if the bio recorders aren't more reliable as they are out for a few days (up to a month). Gives much more scope to get a look across the board. Interesting stuff ay.

I would add that I have spoken to a few different locals that live around the edges about the bird life when passing through as I am always interested. The overwhelming view has been that the bird numbers and especially kereru are way up since the possum control was started years ago. Always interesting. It is quite possible that others have a different observation too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobba View Post
    Any body know if this happened? How to find out? Hoping it didn't due to lockdown and I can get in some level 3 day hunts.
    as far as im aware they were only ever going to do the northern block aerially so areas like piropiro and south should be ok (check on DOC website tho just to check im not wrong).....the last time they carpet bombed piropiro area was years ago (maybe 6-7) i was i a few days after and saw plenty of rats but birds well the silence was deafening the woodys dont seem to get hammered but to hear morepork call out and not get a reply is sad .....birdlife bounces back but takes a long time and they will never get rid of rats predator free is just a fairy tale......

Quote Originally Posted by Bobba View Post
    Was thinking same thing..ment to be early august drop but who knows now with th3 lockdown.

Name:  Screenshot 2021-08-28 at 14-31-27 Pesticide Summary.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  496.7 KB

Can't see the drop happening under level 3 or 4,, they will also want a decent fine weather window to achieve, haven't had one lately.

Date has been changed to 26/10/2021 - 20/11/2021

Can you post the link to where you found this please.

Go to the DOC pesticide summary page and click on the area of interest. On the left the pesticides pop up, dates, etc. When 1080 drop for Pureora got announced, the date was 01.08, now changed to 26/10/2021 - 20/11/2021. Personally I think it is ambitious to do 23627.6692 ha in under a month, but hey what do I know ...

https://maps.doc.govt.nz/externalmap...sticidesummary

Quote Originally Posted by JaSa View Post
    Go to the DOC pesticide summary page and click on the area of interest. On the left the pesticides pop up, dates, etc. When 1080 drop for Pureora got announced, the date was 01.08, now changed to 26/10/2021 - 20/11/2021. Personally I think it is ambitious to do 23627.6692 ha in under a month, but hey what do I know ...

https://maps.doc.govt.nz/externalmap...sticidesummary
    Thanks.

Great,right when the best hunting is starting in there..