Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Scribe
  • 1 Post By nelpop
  • 3 Post By Scribe

Thread: pureora

  1. #1
    Member Htown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Morrinsville
    Posts
    41

    pureora

    hey guys, looking around on google earth at the northern block.
    have seen a hut called cowan wildlife hutt or something along those lines
    there are a few clearings around the place and was just wondering has anyone hunted these areas?
    also is there great numbers or deer,pigs,goats,possum,trout etc
    cheers guys

  2. #2
    sturg4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Whakatete Bay... Coromandel
    Posts
    1,032
    Quote Originally Posted by Htown View Post
    hey guys, looking around on google earth at the northern block.
    have seen a hut called cowan wildlife hutt or something along those lines
    there are a few clearings around the place and was just wondering has anyone hunted these areas?
    also is there great numbers or deer,pigs,goats,possum,trout etc
    cheers guys
    SHUSH YOU....The answer to that question may be deemed POLITCAL.
    Twoshotkill likes this.

  3. #3
    Member Twoshotkill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    BOP
    Posts
    1,761
    Two words....... Green Rain!!!!!!
    SOMETIMES I QUESTION MY SANITY......OCCASIONALLY IT ANSWERS BACK .!

  4. #4
    Member peril 787b's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Waikato
    Posts
    325
    Yup, north block has been bombed as well. Kaimai's could be your only "close to home " option

  5. #5
    Member nelpop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Papamoa
    Posts
    185
    No deer in the kaimais. Just Jaffa trampers.
    peril 787b likes this.

  6. #6
    sturg4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Whakatete Bay... Coromandel
    Posts
    1,032
    Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    SHUSH YOU....The answer to that question may be deemed POLITCAL.
    I suppose this is all a bit confusing to you Htown.

    But if I were to say...It would be unwise to enter the above area because it is contaminated with a toxin called 1080.

    It would be unwise to eat Deer, Pigs, Goats or Possums from this area according to DOC's own science.

    It would be unwise to eat Trout, Eels and probably Koura out of the waterways in this area. The first two according to risk recommendations made to its members, by the Federation of Freshwater Anglers.

    It would be unwise to eat Watercress and Puha from this area as Landcare Research have noted an uptake of 1080 by these plants.

    It would be unwise to eat any birds from this area as 1080 has been found in many, both native and introduced.

    .................................................. .................................................. ...............................................

    The above can be judged by some as delving into the forbidden...POLITIC'S

    But I feel it would be rather irresponsible of us not to warn you of the danger. I had a near run thing with this poison in Humphries Hut when I was doing a Post Poison Monitor for DOC/Landcare Research. Getting a dose of 1080 is easier than most people think.
    veitnamcam, Frogfeatures and Htown like this.

  7. #7
    Member Htown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Morrinsville
    Posts
    41
    ok thanks you

  8. #8
    Member Beetroot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Morrinsville
    Posts
    1,615
    Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    I suppose this is all a bit confusing to you Htown.

    But if I were to say...It would be unwise to enter the above area because it is contaminated with a toxin called 1080.

    It would be unwise to eat Deer, Pigs, Goats or Possums from this area according to DOC's own science.

    It would be unwise to eat Trout, Eels and probably Koura out of the waterways in this area. The first two according to risk recommendations made to its members, by the Federation of Freshwater Anglers.

    It would be unwise to eat Watercress and Puha from this area as Landcare Research have noted an uptake of 1080 by these plants.

    It would be unwise to eat any birds from this area as 1080 has been found in many, both native and introduced.

    .................................................. .................................................. ...............................................

    The above can be judged by some as delving into the forbidden...POLITIC'S

    But I feel it would be rather irresponsible of us not to warn you of the danger. I had a near run thing with this poison in Humphries Hut when I was doing a Post Poison Monitor for DOC/Landcare Research. Getting a dose of 1080 is easier than most people think.

    Bugger, I spose I will have to find somewhere else to get some native birds for my freezer. Maybe the tui outside my house will have to do.

  9. #9
    sturg4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Whakatete Bay... Coromandel
    Posts
    1,032
    Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    Bugger, I spose I will have to find somewhere else to get some native birds for my freezer. Maybe the tui outside my house will have to do.
    Pukeko, Paradise Duck. To name a couple that are regularly consumed by hunters.

  10. #10
    sturg4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Whakatete Bay... Coromandel
    Posts
    1,032
    Quote Originally Posted by Htown View Post
    ok thanks you
    No problem Htown.

    We are not so much talking about lethal doses of 1080, though there have been these as well.

    But we talk more of sub/lethal doses,

    MINISTRY OF HEALTH PUBLICATIONS 2008

    1080 WHY THE CONTROVERSY.

    To date there have no known epidemiological studies carried out in relation to 1080 and potential adverse health effects on humans.

    Studies show that 1080 can cause, skeletal malformation, cardiomyopathy/damage to the heart muscle, testicular effects/reduction in sperm count in animals.
    Last edited by Scribe; 16-09-2014 at 08:55 PM.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Dannevirke, southern Ruahines
    Posts
    5,072
    Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    Pukeko, Paradise Duck. To name a couple that are regularly consumed by hunters.
    That reminds me there are two parries in the kumeti that could do with a pallet each of the green shit.every time I've walked up there at a sparrows the fuckers have sqwaked while I'm walking up the creek.....I day dream of snap shooting the buggers in the head which helps pass the small walk to the bush edge

  12. #12
    TJM
    TJM is offline
    Member TJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hamilton N.Z
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    That reminds me there are two parries in the kumeti that could do with a pallet each of the green shit.every time I've walked up there at a sparrows the fuckers have sqwaked while I'm walking up the creek.....I day dream of snap shooting the buggers in the head which helps pass the small walk to the bush edge
    that is one place i enjoyed walking around but the 1080 on the ground and a lack of any life in any life form flying or walking put me off and that was ten years ago,, just more proof 1080 will never work long term. doesn't seem to matter what the only people who frequent the bush off the tracks think,,
    Doc will continue to fund the helicopter operators, the chemical companies and pollute N.Z with more crap !!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Pureora northern block
    By Htown in forum Hunting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-08-2014, 10:27 AM
  2. Pureora
    By Htown in forum Varminting and Small Game Hunting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 31-07-2014, 07:32 PM
  3. Good spots in pureora
    By James sully in forum Hunting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 28-07-2014, 07:18 PM
  4. Pureora
    By BushHunter in forum Hunting
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 12-09-2013, 07:41 PM
  5. Pureora on youtube
    By Twoshotkill in forum Hunting
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 01-04-2013, 06:10 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!