Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: a question for the bush hobbits

This has been a great thread. As a bush hunter it's helpful to hear how much I should be looking for because I can't usually see the deer getting shot at on YouTube.

Blaze pink or blue for the win.

Identify your target beyond all doubt because you never miss (right?) and I'll be missed.
    IamHackmeat likes this.

MB
    Interesting thread. I have a different, but related issue. In the past, I've waited too long or change my position to get the "perfect" shot. Animal perfectly broadside; scope lined up nicely, no foliage in the way etc. Inevitably, the animal trots off before perfection is achieved. Of course, target identification is all important. Beyond that, if you use an appropriate calibre with the correct ammunition and the projectile hits in the front third of the body, the animal is going to fall where it stands. Be more snappy! I've been telling myself this for sometime and it seems to be working out.
    Micky Duck likes this.

I don't contribute much to this fantastic community as I don't typically have much to share. I'm a bush hunter and my starting position when I think I'm close to a deer (sound or sight) is to tell myself it's a person unless I can prove otherwise. I miss out on quite a few deer, but that's mostly because I need to be more patient and slow down.
    308, MB, Andygr and 2 others like this.

Some really good advice here, but personally would like to reiterate, the single biggest thing you can do for your saftey these days is not carry a whole animal on your back

I’ve been lined up twice in my 8 years of hunting, thankfully never shot at.

Bone it out, break it down or at the minimum bring a white sheet and wrap the bastard.

I never shoot/hunt alone on principle, , and will always find the bro and pair up before walking a carcass back to camp.

Last roars end we came across another hunter in the who reckoned he had taken a couple of rounds from the adjacent face of the gut near Dorset, No exposed animal, just a skinned 10 pointer skull tied to his pack.

Scary shit to think that us, that bloke and however many others were all converged in pissing distance in one of the most remote areas of the park, and that someone was perepared to drop rounds 350m+ on some unidentified movement.

It was and it’s a reminder they are out there, and probably think they are the country’s greatest hunter and some of us have probably walked past, stayed in a hut with, or know one of those troglodytes
    MB, -BW- and Eat Meater like this.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Billymavs View Post
    Last roars end we came across another hunter in the who reckoned he had taken a couple of rounds from the adjacent face of the gut near Dorset, No exposed animal, just a skinned 10 pointer skull tied to his pack.

Scary shit to think that us, that bloke and however many others were all converged in pissing distance in one of the most remote areas of the park, and that someone was perepared to drop rounds 350m+ on some unidentified movement.
    That's just plain stupid and scary!

Agree with what you say about not carrying the whole animal. Apart from the safety aspect, why would you want to carry out a load of skin and bone that's going to be discarded anyway?

Not sure about the hunting alone thing. I wonder how many incidents involve someone from the same party? Also, I find it hard enough to keep quiet when bush stalking when it's just me. Two people could be a bit of a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post

Agree with what you say about not carrying the whole animal. Apart from the safety aspect, why would you want to carry out a load of skin and bone that's going to be discarded anyway?

Not sure about the hunting alone thing. I wonder how many incidents involve someone from the same party? Also, I find it hard enough to keep quiet when bush stalking when it's just me. Two people could be a bit of a nightmare.

We use the Garmin watches and base unit at the camp, will hunt seperate, takes me 30sec to check where anyone is at anytime, absolutely love it. And the fact it makes “trails” you can’t get lost!

Recovering animals in twos ensures the noise, more chance to be seen or heard before getting shot at, plus in my experience if I was to injure myself at any point on a trip it would be in the meat recovery phase. Share the weight instead of trying to raw dog and extra 50kgs and a head god knows how far back.

And besides as grumpy as others may get, it’s not like you can’t just find another, there is no shortage of em.
    MB and Ducksnchips like this.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Billymavs View Post
    We use the Garmin watches and base unit at the camp, will hunt seperate, takes me 30sec to check where anyone is at anytime, absolutely love it. And the fact it makes “trails” you can’t get lost!
    That's cool!

Keep your gun down until you’re 100percent sure what you’re looking at.
    Then take the first opportunity at a good shot.
    Plenty get away.Thats fine.
    Spend a bit of time outside a deer farm next time you go past.You may be surprised at the noise they make once they relax.
    Fawn call probably gets me 20percent of deer in the bush.
    Ducksnchips likes this.

I find it hard enough to keep quiet when bush stalking when it's just me. Two people could be a bit of a nightmare.
    I take a mate with me when scouting an area. I'd love to take him on a bush stalk, but he moves a lot when at rest and I find it hard to keep quiet as you say, and he's worse than me. On the plus side he's not a shooter so it's safer.

Identify your target beyond all doubt because you never miss (right?) and I'll be missed.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Eat Meater View Post
    I take a mate with me when scouting an area. I'd love to take him on a bush stalk, but he moves a lot when at rest and I find it hard to keep quiet as you say, and he's worse than me. On the plus side he's not a shooter so it's safer.
    I've been threatening to take my Mrs with me for a while. She likes tramping, hunting not so much. I'd like her to like it for obvious reasons, but don't think a bush hunt is the right environment. It wouldn't be much fun for her. No talking, moving slowly and quietly. She would get bored and frustrated pretty quickly. Shit, I get bored and frustrated sometimes!
    Micky Duck likes this.

many stops for cups of tea etc..point out the pretty birdies etc..weird or rare trees.... and go to area with a lookout or two will help.... sit at lookout and have cupps tea is a win win..she gets a rest and cuppa tea..you still hunting lol.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

MB
    I don't know MD. Not for the feint hearted!

Micky Duck and Ducksnchips like this.

Im sure she will get great amusement watching you fall over on arse getting through that lot.....and if your not on game trails where going should be easier...well you should be LOL. could be good excuse to make your tracks/pathways a bit tidier....amazing what you can do with a pair of secateurs and loppers are next level again....bacho pruning saw for real seriously pain in arse log and before you know it travel is much easier and quieter,the animals SHOULD help keep your pathway open
    MB likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

So flat! I envy you

MB likes this.

looks like Northland jungle Waipaoa Raetea Herikino ???
    Northlander likes this.