Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Questionable Deer Meat- Help Requested

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    Just one question.
    Did you have it in a plastic bag at all?
    Only asking as I found out the hard way years ago the meat went off a combination of warm meat and warm weather in a plastic bag.
    Danny likes this.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

I like to fillet off the front quarters from the brisket towards the back so they are just hanging by a bit of skin if its hot especially if there is any shot damage there.
    As above pop the ball joints on the pelvis and open up there as much as possible.
    Gut as soon as possible goes without saying but...
    If it is an easy one, ie gut and drag to vehicle and drive home best to open it up and cool before the drive if it is more than a few mins drive,hang if at all possible meat will not cool lying on the ground wrapped in insulation.
    Hunt4life likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Shootm it was glad wrap, think he "shot it" at the soupy!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Shootm it was glad wrap, think he "shot it" at the soupy!
    Nah didn't mean that at all.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

Quote Originally Posted by Shootm View Post
    Nah didn't mean that at all.
    I know!
    Shootm likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Someone should start a thread on most cost effective way to make a home chiller @kiwijames is it simple
    Enough to convert an old fridge or do you have to be careful where you drill etc?

To be honest I recommend just dropping to butcher if you have one handy, have two fallow at counties custom killing at the moment (bombays) and they do a great job.

Bromleys home butcher in west Melton are also excellent and vacuum pack all steaks, cost is extremely minimal of not doing salamis etc and you skin yourself. At least that way you know it will be aged right and you get an excellent end product.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootm View Post
    Just one question.
    Did you have it in a plastic bag at all?
    Only asking as I found out the hard way years ago the meat went off a combination of warm meat and warm weather in a plastic bag.
    Ahhh so putting it in a big black bag is a no go Bugger might have messed up there

Nah in to a meat sack and home, under 2 hours and then in front of the fan. obviously no not enough.

All previous animals been either chilled or winter so new one for me. Like I said live and learn.
    Sarcasm: lowest from of wit, highest form of intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    Someone should start a thread on most cost effective way to make a home chiller @kiwijames is it simple
    Enough to convert an old fridge or do you have to be careful where you drill etc?

To be honest I recommend just dropping to butcher if you have one handy, have two fallow at counties custom killing at the moment (bombays) and they do a great job.

Bromleys home butcher in west Melton are also excellent and vacuum pack all steaks, cost is extremely minimal of not doing salamis etc and you skin yourself. At least that way you know it will be aged right and you get an excellent end product.
    I am starting to look at that and how to construct a small chiller big enough to hold a cut up deer. doesn't have to be massive just big enough

Caretaker
    Just use a small fridge or freezer on the back of your ute, connect it to a generator and job tidy.

We do it all the time in summer
    Willie likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Seems pretty quick for it to go off, even with bone taint.

If it is urine or blood smelling on the surface (and that is what it sounds like), you can wipe the meat with a damp cloth dipped in a strongish solution of vinegar and water. Seems to neutralise it.
    This is also a good method to remove any excess hair on a carcass after skinning. Im still shocking at getting hair erewere
    sako75, Danny and PERRISCICABA like this.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Got to say I think it is bone taint, stinks down at the bone so as much removed and now being chilled.
    Also attempting to stop one finger bleeding after new boning knife decided to take a strike at it. paper stitches wont hold so kitchen roll and climbers tape to the hilt, nothing open til tomorrow so harden up butter cup lol.
    Fuck me this has been the biggest pain in the arse deer ever!
    Make sure you tell the doc you got cut handling venison.
    Cuts can get quite infected.
    We used to call it venison poisoning.
    Hands would swell up like balloons and pretty painful.

A course of antibiotics will get rid of it if you get it.
    I was never sure if it was the meat or the guts but I suffered with it a few times.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Willie likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

I shot a red on the 31st and was a bit worried about the meat since it was a long hot carry out. So I put it in the freezer as soon as I got home for a few hours to chill it quickly then moved it to the fridge and it all seems good.

Quote Originally Posted by MDub View Post
    I shot a red on the 31st and was a bit worried about the meat since it was a long hot carry out. So I put it in the freezer as soon as I got home for a few hours to chill it quickly then moved it to the fridge and it all seems good.
    Yeah I dont have a freezer big enough otherwise I would have.
    Some great advice comjng in, cheers.

Big one is don't put freshly shot meat into plastic. Let it hang for a bit n put into a mutton cloth type of thing. Plastic bad......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use an old fridge in the hot weather, it is surprising how much meat will fit with the bone removed in a good sized fridge. When I arrive home skin and break down, removing all the bone from hindquarters. Leave in the fridge for 5-7 days. I'm only an hour from where I normally hunt so it makes it a lot easier than guys who are away for a few days. If you are away overnight the animal needs to be removed from packs or it's skin in hot weather and hung in mutton cloth or similar in the breeze and the shade. The higher up off the ground the better.