Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Radioactive Wild Boar in Sweden

LOC

Radioactive Wild Boar in Sweden

This will be a big blow for the hunting industry in Sweden. Shooting glow in the dark pigs sounds like fun though

Radioactive wild boar spark concerns in Sweden 31 years after Chernobyl - NZ Herald

Auckland, until I can escape south....to Southland.
    Teenage mutant ninja pigs ?
    Heard the same things happening near Fukashima, in Japan.
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !

1st up
    Do not believe everything via NZ Herald our AP (Associated Press)
    From what I know about all animal life in the radioactive fallout Zone from Chernobyl – everything is thriving and showing no negative symptoms.
    I imagine however - the damage was done at an earlier stage - and has self-cleansed, and now we have a "super species" (slight exaggeration there)
    Pointer and timattalon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    1st up
    Do not believe everything via NZ Herald our AP (Associated Press)
    From what I know about all animal life in the radioactive fallout Zone from Chernobyl – everything is thriving and showing no negative symptoms.
    I imagine however - the damage was done at an earlier stage - and has self-cleansed, and now we have a "super species" (slight exaggeration there)
    Yea the animals can thrive and do well but that does not mean they dont have harmfull levels of radiation for us to eat, just like sharks and other top predators and mercury or shellfish in polluted waters.
    260hunter likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

There's a hot old boar roaming around Wellington at present, thinks he glows in the dark as well.

I thought that animals are affected by radiation they just don't normally live long enough for the effects to show.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Yea the animals can thrive and do well but that does not mean they dont have harmfull levels of radiation for us to eat, just like sharks and other top predators and mercury or shellfish in polluted waters.
    Re yr Microwave pic
    Wife was 70ks from Chernobyl when it went ballistic (it went NW luckily for Kiev but not so lucky for Belarus)
    She wont (and never has) used a Microwave - prob why she can cook in the palm of her hand
    Pointer and Scouser like this.

Hi,
    Im hunting in an area in northern black forest, germany.
    Where i hunt boars are ok to eat, but 20miles to the south, where it rained after chernobyl, boars have to be discarded.
    Over in bavaria there are parts where boars contain 30 times the dosage of what should be ok for humans to consume. So these boars have to be discarded as nuclear waste.

Gesendet von meinem ALE-L21 mit Tapatalk

we took a Swedish guy out hunting and he told us that the trees got a lot of radiation there so when you burn the wood in your logburner you are concentrating it .the ash out of there fires is radioactive and has to be dumped in a special place.

That's what shagging Kermit the frog gets you.....glow in the dark piglets......bad miss Piggy dirty dirty dirty
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Sounds like a nasty problem, maybe 1080 ain't as bad as nuclear fallout. Think I would rather have the 1080 than radiation but better still neither of them.

think its bad in sweden,in russia they sent a quarter of a million people in to there death to fix the Chernobyl problem.

I hope you dont mind my asking: whats that 1080 thing exactly, and how are hunters seeing that issue?

Sorry for my ignorance...here in germany we have never heard of it.,,

1080 is a poison. The government uses it to control pest species like rats and possums by dropping it on national park land. The pests are introduced species with no natural predators. It’s an intractable problem. Many hunters are bitterly opposed to the practice but there are arguments for and against.

Yeh as WillB said it is a very controversial subject over here, The bait used is either carrot or cereal pellets and mostly applied by helicopter. As the poison is sowin throughout the target areas it is often available for deer etc to eat thus the concern from hunters over here. Also it closes up a lot of area after a drop as there is about a 5-6 month no hunting timeframe imposed on those areas so that any uneaten poison has a chance to be rendered safe by the weather. Poison is laid for TB control, pest control for projects like "Bring back the Birds" as possums and rats and stoats are notorious at killing our native species.
    As stated there is for and against for the use of 1080 but generally most people oppose it's use.
    Flyfishhunt likes this.