Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: random question re dogs

Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    Not pig dogs or in the bush but I thought your dog must be under control at all times in public.
    I'm often at the beach and it's a nervous time when someones dog runs up to yours. There dog might be harmless, but mine might not be.
    Most owners are shocking and don't get this. It's a nervous time as how do you help defend your dog in the middle of nowhere with only a leash.
    the very reason my manuka hill stick comes with me if walking dogs anywhere in town....plurry handy for fending off mrs jones's barking fluffy slipper before it gets eaten.
    WallyR likes this.

Fulla
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    the very reason my manuka hill stick comes with me if walking dogs anywhere in town....plurry handy for fending off mrs jones's barking fluffy slipper before it gets eaten.
    I gave one lady and her daughter's dog a light push off with my boot.
    Of course they started moaning at me for kicking there dog. Not thank me for keeping my dog under control.

Never been involved in a dog fight situation but it seems I always bump into others with dogs in the bush . So I'm always ready for the unexpected and get my dog secured (she's quite the social butterfly ) and wait for owners to show to find out what they are like with other dogs before letting her loose to get acquainted ..... and even then constantly watching... dogs have a brain and no matter how well trained there is always that chance they will do something unpredictable (my opinion not an expert)

I carry a 1oz sinker on a bit of codline, not a weapon as I just found it at the beach but a dog knows when its had one from it. I now stay away from areas with mentally challenged owners who think dogs need to meet and greet everybody within a 300m radius.

I was training long range down and sit with my pup down the southern end and watched this lab with 2 scots college toffs in tow go from dog to dog and stand over it staring it down, I clipped mine on his long rope and started moving away but the lab came over so I put my dog in a sit holding attention on me and told these clowns to go get their dog. They of course didnt see the urgency of the situation and my dog was struggling to hold a sit, they were sauntering towards the dog, got within about 6 metres and Boris grabbed the dog by the neck, rag dolled it around a bit then stood over it growling and the boys were just standing there gobsmacked. I got Boris to come to me by dragging the rope and the lab shot off over the dunes... we dont go to that beach anymore after my "vicous dog" attacked a "friendly lab".

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk
    Martin358 likes this.

northdude
    Had a similar thing happen once with a rotti I had some homo that had his German shit turd running loose let it come up close I told him you better get your dog on a lead he said na it's ok it's a German shit turd ok I thought can't say I didn't warn you as soon as his piece of shit tried standing over Zeppelin he got promptly torn to pieces then we carried on I put that down to dumb owner not dumb dog

I was the bloke on the other forum whose dog "Izzie" was attacked by pig dogs in Rotorua a couple of years ago. It was the day after she indicated on our first "wild" deer and took me in for the shot. My wife was running Izzie in the Redwoods forest when they were both attacked.

As I said at the time on the other forum I had to fight with dog control for them to enforce the act as they went down the line of all the dogs not being on leads. I said fine write me a ticket and we are all on the same page and then we can start dealing with the attack.

As I said to Dog Control during my interview, if that had happened in the bush all of the dogs would have been wearing 130grn necklaces delivered at 2980ft/sec from my .270.

All it really reinforced to me is the difference between a "hunting dog" and a pack of dogs who hunt.

It is this sort of dog handling/control that makes access to many of our back country areas with dogs difficult. These blokes are just as mongrel as their dogs and enjoy the mana that they think driving around town with a flat deck ute and dog boxes on the back with carpet on the bonnet gains.
    Micky Duck and JasonW like this.

So what was the end result mate? How is the dog performing these days? Hopefully putting you on a few animals!

Quote Originally Posted by superdiver View Post
    So what was the end result mate? How is the dog performing these days? Hopefully putting you on a few animals!
    All four of his dogs forfeited for destruction in lew of prosecution with acknowledgement and agreement to pay vet bills. He did a runner to W. Aus so I took him to small claims, won and got $$ through Aussie debit collectors.

The pup is a deer finding machine.

Name:  20160128_191915-1.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  1,012.2 KB

I'm more than happy with her, she is just very uncertain around dogs that "want to say hi!" cause "it's ok, he/she is friendly!"

Name:  20141024_100056.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  912.0 KB

Name:  IMG_3783.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  845.8 KB
    WhistlingWings and ROKTOY like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpys View Post
    I was the bloke on the other forum whose dog "Izzie" was attacked by pig dogs in Rotorua a couple of years ago. It was the day after she indicated on our first "wild" deer and took me in for the shot. My wife was running Izzie in the Redwoods forest when they were both attacked.

As I said at the time on the other forum I had to fight with dog control for them to enforce the act as they went down the line of all the dogs not being on leads. I said fine write me a ticket and we are all on the same page and then we can start dealing with the attack.

As I said to Dog Control during my interview, if that had happened in the bush all of the dogs would have been wearing 130grn necklaces delivered at 2980ft/sec from my .270.

All it really reinforced to me is the difference between a "hunting dog" and a pack of dogs who hunt.

It is this sort of dog handling/control that makes access to many of our back country areas with dogs difficult. These blokes are just as mongrel as their dogs and enjoy the mana that they think driving around town with a flat deck ute and dog boxes on the back with carpet on the bonnet gains.
    When it comes to dogs sometimes shit just happens no matter how well they are trained they could be your working/hunting dogs or your best mate & the latter can be the worst when it comes to hanging around other dogs , im not defending the idiots & theres no shortage of them & nor am I some dog expert not even close but il never forget my beloved digger a pup I got him when I was 16 a boxer x he looked like someone had hit him in the face with a spade I carted him all round the country staying at different shearers quarters etc etc he was my first pig dog in the making but I spoiled him got to the stage id sit down on the hill he would curl himself around my back & growl if the others got to close in the end that equalled dead, dogs get jealous to . iv done the full circle a few times my dogs fighting dogs dogs fighting mine my own dogs fighting each other maybe they are more like people than we realise or like there owners . theres defiantly some retards out there that shouldn't have dogs of any description hunting or pets they simply dont understand them or as owners the responsibility that go,s with it . iv never been a fan of meat heads especially latter years collie x or lab x are great on many levels but even then those fuckers fight maybe over food or bitches or pecking order etc. 2 of my best dogs where killed by there mates both separate instances & both packed that is in there dna the last one that was killed I was so angry he was a cracker of a dog collie x blue healer what a champ , finder bailer & loyal couldn't ask for more he could do it all by him self made the other dogs look silly sometimes well one day I got a panicked phone call from the missz at the time turns out she had let her stupid meat head off who had beatn the crap out of my little champ I got there & saw red I beat the puss out of that meat head not that he really new what it was for I just wanted to shoot it but after 5 minutes had calmed somewhat & rushed the wee fella off to the vets latter that night same as the first 1 his throat swelled up & died maybe I did something wrong along the way or maybe its just in there nature

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkus View Post
    See... Even dogs don't like 270s!
    I'm fairly sure its the lead that comes out of the 270 they don't like Saves on vet bills

Glad you got the bastard. Stoked the dog is a ripper as well.

Awesome photos with Izzie! The last one is cool!