Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Rangitaiki Conservation Area

Hey team, new to the forum. Have hunted Ruahines, Kawekas, Kaimanawas and Ahimanawas based in Hastings. This forum is a fantastic resource and have just been reading through some threads, great stuff and info on here for new and experienced hunters alike.
    Have a few free days up my sleeve and was thinking about checking out the Rangitaiki Conservation area, just for something new. Coming from the northern (Taupo) side by Lochinver. Was just wondering if anybody can tell me what the vehicle access is like on the main track in. I have a 4wd but am not an experienced 4 wheel driver. If access is fine can anybody tell me if there is easy access to the bush or is it mostly just scrub and tussock (yeap, bush hunter). Am happy to head through to the kaimanawas if the track is a bit dodgy. Cheers, Josh

Hi Josh,

Welcome to the forum.

I haven't been in there for years but don't recall any radical four wheel driving to get in. That's if I'm thinking of the right area, my mates called it SF70 I think. Fairly scrubby but there was bush up on the ridge we climbed.

If you head to the introductions page and tell everyone a bit more about yourself more people will answer your question.

Thanks Rumpy will do

Caretaker
    EXSF70/71

The track is heavily eroded, go for a look and see if you can fix it with a few mates with spades
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Bush was pretty thick last time I was there , mind you that was a while back, deer are in there though.

Pretty wet up there at present so take a winch not reception unless you walk a few miles then ring the pub