Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: resole meindl

I sold a Brand New pair of boots a few weeks ago - yes Brand new
    Soles peeled off and inner between Vibam and the part you stand on was crumbled black cottage cheese - after 1 day's use
    Go figure ??

As discussed on here b4 - its to do with storage and lack of use - but - I think this system/design sucks as you have no idea or indication that this MAJOR fault accurs until its peeling like a ripe orange
    I have sold near on (maybe more than) 100 pairs of used boots out of East Europe in last 12 months - and have had 6 or 7 that failed in this manner - so not major bad - but still a piss off and embarrasment to me.
    Have always made total refund but !!
    Next :-))

Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    Haha
    Bloody King Country Hick

Mind you did same for 10 years there
    Would be lost with out them. Haddads in Otorohanga are getting "Bullers" made for them, will add more when they get them.

Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    Would be lost with out them. Haddads in Otorohanga are getting "Bullers" made for them, will add more when they get them.
    Good ol Haddads...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Were those boots Lowa per chance Sarvo. My Lowas were cherished for years but the vibram sole began to peel. Local ‘Dr Shoe’ and I had a real headbang session ending with him telling me to “get the fuck outta my shop!” I have since had the sole glued and will keep boots for lawn mowing. Excellent uppers, ultra comfy, but the soles were disappointing.

Thanks for the updates everyone. I spoke to McGregors in Chch about my Meindl Island boots and they said they couldn't resole those - "The problem is getting the replacement mid sole outsole. While I can get a few Vibram soles , which you can see on my FB page, your ones are made for that boot and repairers cannot obtain them." It seems the higher quality boots (and price tag) might not be fit for my purpose or sporadic use. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Ingrid 51 View Post
    Were those boots Lowa per chance Sarvo. My Lowas were cherished for years but the vibram sole began to peel. Local ‘Dr Shoe’ and I had a real headbang session ending with him telling me to “get the fuck outta my shop!” I have since had the sole glued and will keep boots for lawn mowing. Excellent uppers, ultra comfy, but the soles were disappointing.
    New were Scarpa - have had 2 of them
    Lowa Tibet 2 of them
    Meindl 2 of them too and 1 Hanwag

All same design

If Vibram sole still good - the boot repairer will reuse that and reform the part above that - but sticking some glue in aint gunna work

Lowa Tibet 2 of them

All same design

If Vibram sole still good - the boot repairer will reuse that and reform the part above that - but sticking some glue in aint gunna work
    My cobbler told me about ‘hydrolysis’ and refused to replaced the mid sole, told me it couldn’t be done. I have since thrown away two pairs of second hand boots.

Strange world - I can see how the term ‘fake news’ developed I’m going to propose we add the term ‘fake facts’!

😀

Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post
    My cobbler told me about ‘hydrolysis’ and refused to replaced the mid sole, told me it couldn’t be done. I have since thrown away two pairs of second hand boots.

Strange world - I can see how the term ‘fake news’ developed I’m going to propose we add the term ‘fake facts’!

��
    Bennett's Shoe Service in Invercargill did a pair of Scarpa for me
    Reused the Vibram tread sole as it was still like new
    Cost $180 though

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post

😀
    Well 'Cobblers' to any useless boot maker who says 'it couldn't be done'
    I had the mid-soles replaced on a pair of old Lowas in Rangiora. The cobbler removed the crumbly midsole and shaped a piece of thick soft rubber to fit and give the correct angle etc then reused the original sole which was a factory Lowa not a Vibram. A lot of work boots have a flexible PU (polyurethane) sole and this will fail and fall to bits if the mold temp has been too low when they were made, meaning the plastic granules have not fully melted and bonded to each other. Any boots that fail after little use should be replaced under the Consumer Protection Act as they are 'not suitable for the purpose for which they were intended' etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Well 'Cobblers' to any useless boot maker who says 'it couldn't be done'
    I had the mid-soles replaced on a pair of old Lowas in Rangiora. The cobbler removed the crumbly midsole and shaped a piece of thick soft rubber to fit and give the correct angle etc then reused the original sole which was a factory Lowa not a Vibram. A lot of work boots have a flexible PU (polyurethane) sole and this will fail and fall to bits if the mold temp has been too low when they were made, meaning the plastic granules have not fully melted and bonded to each other. Any boots that fail after little use should be replaced under the Consumer Protection Act as they are 'not suitable for the purpose for which they were intended' etc etc
    Move this man to top of the class :-)

Lowa Tibet 2 of them

All same design

@Sarvo are those the numbers of boot failures you have had? Just in the market for some new boots for this winter and my Stewart island trip next year. Have read this thread and the one on Meindl sole failure. So thought I'd go with Lowa. But himmmm looks like you don't get a choice.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Yes
    Unfortunatly they fail and it can be via New and used
    You also cannot tell till you use !!

However - I stand by what I sell used and New for guys on here and on TM (which i need not )
    I honestly would NEVER buy New in NZ at their retail prices (circa 4-600$)
    Better to buy used in top condition and if not fit can always get $$ back on resale

Yes
    Unfortunatly they fail and it can be via New and used
    You also cannot tell till you use !!

However - I stand by what I sell used and New for guys on here and on TM (which i need not )
    I honestly would NEVER buy New in NZ at their retail prices (circa 4-600$)
    Better to buy used in top condition and if not fit can always get $$ back on resale
    Have to "like" that, Sarvo is a top guy to deal with, other retailers could learn from him !!
    ROKTOY likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Hey Team
    Just to bring this up again ,have a pair of meindl islands upper still pretty good nick ,the sole has perished as they do over a period of time and wanting to know who are the best guys to re sole now,
    Another question is they were a "snug" fit do you loose any size after being re soled ,i kinda remember reading something bout it .
    Any help with this greatly appreciated.
    DONT BE A FOOL INDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEFORE YOU PULL

Quote Originally Posted by Bushrash View Post
    Hey Team
    Just to bring this up again ,have a pair of meindl islands upper still pretty good nick ,the sole has perished as they do over a period of time and wanting to know who are the best guys to re sole now,
    Another question is they were a "snug" fit do you loose any size after being re soled ,i kinda remember reading something bout it .
    Any help with this greatly appreciated.
    Ike at Quality Shoe Repairs. 07 839 5338.

559 Victoria St
    Hamilton

If the Rand is replaced you’ll loose 1/2 size. From experience.

Ike does good work. Stagers N.I. go to.

B
    Bushrash and Chur Bay like this.