Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree22Likes
  • 15 Post By NIMROD
  • 2 Post By Makros
  • 1 Post By trapperjohn
  • 2 Post By Bryan
  • 1 Post By NIMROD

Thread: Rex Foresters son, Roger and Te Wairoa hut

Rex Foresters son, Roger and Te Wairoa hut

I'm so glad of the coincidence that Roger Forester visited Te Wairoa hut with another of the huts builders sons in May this year. Both now in their 70's
    They'll both be heart broken with the "possible" removal/destruction of Te Wairoa Hut ( Rogers Hut ) but glad of the fact they did make the trip to visit.
    It's removal is not a forgone conclusion though as it's listed as "to be confirmed - historical"
    Fingers crossed that compassion, respect, and a modicum of common sense prevail on all sides.

Name:  20221019_190541.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  249.8 KB

Name:  20221020_111528.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  314.6 KB

Name:  92B Rogers Hut, Whirinaki Forest Park Dec 2021.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  352.6 KB
    Last edited by NIMROD; 21-10-2022 at 02:04 PM.

Beautiful old hut. I share your sentiment that I hope such a historic treasure is preserved.
    Moa Hunter and pennyless like this.

Nice post @NIMROD , anyone can have a spiritual connection regardless of your lineage.

Ya just gotta appreciate, past, present and future.
    techno retard likes this.

I'm heading into that hut in 2 weeks for a long weekend hunt. Might take a bunch of photos to record the place in case its not there for much longer. I have never been there before so am really looking forward to checking it out and exploring a new part of Te Urawera's.
    rugerman and Rusa3006 like this.
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction

Spent quite a few nights there in the '80's. Great spot. We used to hang back legs in the chimney to put a good skin on them. Possibly not a brilliant idea as some tasted a bit different.
    Last stay was in 1990, February. The mossies at night were atrocious. No sleep at all. Don't know what that was all about. Rex picked a good spot though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohawk .308 View Post
    Awesome hut and would be a crime if anything happened to it. I can’t understand why Tuhoe might remove it when it’s in the Whirinaki forest park not Te Urewera

https://www.doc.govt.nz/globalassets...-whirinaki.pdf
    It would appear that the Te Urewera boundary runs almost through the middle the hut...... and there's a sign on the wall of Mangakakika Hut showing all the huts in the Whirinaki FP administered by DOC and maintained by them in conjunction with NZDA and other groups. And they do not lay claim to Te Wairoa hut being a DOC hut...... just saying
    Last edited by NIMROD; 21-10-2022 at 03:24 PM.
    RugerM77 likes this.

They reckon it's just inside the boundary

How was the hunting? Tip a few over?