Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree15Likes
  • 1 Post By veitnamcam
  • 1 Post By Ftx325
  • 3 Post By Shearer
  • 1 Post By Ftx325
  • 2 Post By ROKTOY
  • 1 Post By ROKTOY
  • 6 Post By Jake77

Thread: Richmond Range Day Hunt?

Richmond Range Day Hunt?

Thinking if doing a walkabout tomorrow with the Indicating dog in training. Wondering if there are many animals round the hills off the Hackett/Browning Track access? Not particularly worried if it just ends up being an armed tramp but be good to know if we should expect to come across much while up there. Will report back on whether we find anything.

Yep Fallow and the occasional red and pig threw there.
    Council are doing control work ( shooting to waste) in the roading and maitai catchments so you may see some track closed signs.
    Jake77 likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

not much hunting to the right of the hackett track as most of it private unless you head up the mine track. best to take the off shoot track to the left towards the browning hut before you reach hackett hut. Better hunting through there for fallow from my experience but there are a few pigs behind hackett hut.
    Jake77 likes this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

Cheers team, good info.

Cheers team, good info. One more q who would be the go-to butcher for processing game around Richmond area?

Meat Solutions do excellent venison chorizo sausages but haven't had anything else done by them.
    veitnamcam, tikka and Jake77 like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

yep ... meat solutions I reckon.. he's a mate of my boss and really knows what he's doing. Vacuum packs all the meat too.
    Jake77 likes this.

Yip, Meat Solutions.

Well @Jake77....I have just been thinking about you going all the way in there just on the off chance that you might get something. All that walking uphill, creek crossing, muddy tracks, bored dog. Really not worth the effort. And really there's bugger all good hunting in there so I think you are probably better off finding somewhere else to go.....
    Let me just say here and now that the fact that I have just been told we are going in there for a hunt in a couple of days has absolutely nothing to do with my previous statement.......no really......

I was going to head up there over the weekend, Not now that you buggers are going in there to go scare off all my animals. Might hit the Wangapeka instead.
    Shearer and kukuwai like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ROKTOY View Post
    Might hit the Wangapeka instead.
    There is gold in them hills

Richmond ranges might be pretty busy being the middle week of school holidays

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Quote Originally Posted by kukuwai View Post
    There is gold in them hills

Richmond ranges might be pretty busy being the middle week of school holidays

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Shame no one has been able to find it since...
    The weather isn't looking too fancy for the weekend either unfortunately.
    kukuwai likes this.

Quick mission in early morning up to the Hackett Hutt, in rain and sleet. Quite a few deer prints in the fresh snow in the valley flats and a tonne of poo in the sheltered basins on the bush edge. A careful stalk up the north facing terraces for the morning yielded no animals, pretty bloody miserable with all the snow melting so suspect they were smarter than me and tucked up somewhere warm. Wind shifting all round the place didn’t help things either. Headed back to the hut for lunch - loads of pig sign all over the place but figured they had also vacated the area when dog started pointing intently at a bunch of fern right on the edge of the track. Figured it was a possum and was about to give her a growling when a large black thing scoffed and charged off downhill. Good dog. Was soaked through and piggie had headed into some really manky scrub so let it be. Walked out under blue sky, doggo had some good practice with river crossings and bridges so will call it a win. For you fullas thinking about heading up def worth a look, we didn’t cover a big area and no shots fired so animals should still be round. Good luck!
    veitnamcam, madjon_, Pengy and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ROKTOY View Post
    I was going to head up there over the weekend, Not now that you buggers are going in there to go scare off all my animals. Might hit the Wangapeka instead.
    Wouldnt hit the wangapeka if you looking for a deer. Next to none uip there, esp after the 1080. Hunted it heaps with pig dogs, ok for pigs but its overgrown alot and not much chance of shooting one without pig dogs

Quote Originally Posted by deer243 View Post
    Wouldnt hit the wangapeka if you looking for a deer. Next to none uip there, esp after the 1080. Hunted it heaps with pig dogs, ok for pigs but its overgrown alot and not much chance of shooting one without pig dogs
    Just a tramping trip with mates and kids, tripped over some Blue ducks and a couple of goats on the way out.