Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree14Likes
  • 1 Post By Trout
  • 1 Post By Maddoghunter
  • 3 Post By Trout
  • 2 Post By 16Tontovarish
  • 1 Post By Trout
  • 6 Post By Barry the hunter

Thread: Riverbed

Riverbed

Probably a stupid question…
    I have noticed often river bed are out of hunting zone on the doc map like in the Waioeka. I just realised zooming in close, never really paid attention before. I have been to some of these spot before and I have to confess I didn’t realise the river bed and surrounding clearings were no hunting, saw heaps of hunter hunting these river bed too by the past.

Name:  IMG_5796.jpeg
Views: 701
Size:  233.1 KB

or the map got updated... it's bugging me, I'm not sure if I missed this those last trip due to not zooming in or if they updated the map.

Quote Originally Posted by tibo View Post
    Probably a stupid question…
    I have noticed often river bed are out of hunting zone on the doc map like in the Waioeka. I just realised zooming in close, never really paid attention before. I have been to some of these spot before and I have to confess I didn’t realise the river bed and surrounding clearings were no hunting, saw heaps of hunter hunting these river bed too by the past.

Attachment 237000
    if you are within the DOC block dont worry about those lines on map - they can be one of two things 1) legal road 2 ) various types of legal strip sometimes called marginal strips - they are crown land just not part of the actual Conservation area - hunt it as part of the surrounding Conservation land - but if you are passing thru private land then no- best respect the private land owner

Often riverbeds are administered on behalf of the Crown by LINZ rather than DOC. I don't know how to determine when it's them or what "the rules" are sorry

Quote Originally Posted by tibo View Post
    or the map got updated... it's bugging me, I'm not sure if I missed this those last trip due to not zooming in or if they updated the map.
    I dont think anybody is going to be out on the river bed watching for you.But if its near private land used daily or a popular fishing river id make sure to keep on doc land.
    jpurdon likes this.

The riverbed in waioeka is part of permit area.
    Trout likes this.

Some farm boundrys are in the centre of rivers beds too.Like the haka river up the haka valley.But it has a doc strip across it to allow hunters on to doc hunting block.

Ok thanks guys, the map pretty confusing. Some big clearing along these rivers…

Sit and watch the clearings if they are miles from nowhere on river bed broom areas.

There is a river like that near me. I always assumed the riverbed was not marked in the hunting zone because I know the stream is used for some of the nearby town water supply.

Identify your target beyond all doubt because you never miss (right?) and I'll be missed.

Use a range of apps and maps to work it out. It wont be the same reason everywhere. On the doc site, click between doc land and hunting. It will generally be outside both if its road reserve etc. Also note that areas prohibited from hunting come up in red when you click the hunting box. Also I note that alot of land being used for farming comes up as hunting area. Check physically with doc first f you plan on using one of those areas, many have active leases on them. WAMS, LINDZ boundary app etc are all useful for deciphering where you can go.

I have NZ Maps app (premium) on my phone,cost about $12 a year.Got everything you need to know with mapping in nz,hunting areas,tracks,huts and a lot of maps selections you can have.You dont need cell phone reception to run it.Good thing about it,you can turn it on to tracker,it leaves a tracking path of where youv been within a metre or 2.Great for taking you to the edge of doc hunting boundrys and crossing rivers at night where you cross them in day light.Good for measuring distances to where youv shot deer,just have it sitting in your top pocket.You can save your tracking after yr hunting trip and refer to it at home.Keep taps on where you been and plan for your next trip.

Reminds me of a fun time I had on a mates property, bloody fallow were jumping the fence from the nearby river. We could see them in the scrub along it in the evening.
    So we asked doc what the story was about shooting them. They said "not our problem, we don't do rivers. That's fish and game."

So we got on the phone to fish and game, what did they say? "We don't do deer, that's a doc question"

So we figured anything's legal so long as you don't get caught. Which is what I'd suggest to you in this situation.
    Trout and Micky Duck like this.

Years ago i rang doc about deer on a river bed next to their hunting doc block.No problem they said,shoot as many has you can just as long as theres no fisherman about.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by whanahuia View Post
    Use a range of apps and maps to work it out. It wont be the same reason everywhere. On the doc site, click between doc land and hunting. It will generally be outside both if its road reserve etc. Also note that areas prohibited from hunting come up in red when you click the hunting box. Also I note that alot of land being used for farming comes up as hunting area. Check physically with doc first f you plan on using one of those areas, many have active leases on them. WAMS, LINDZ boundary app etc are all useful for deciphering where you can go.
    okay the DOC areas you are talking about generally are not leased - the stock owner has a grazing concession on the grass area - leases generally are for a whole property -little grass areas ( little well we had some of 50 hectares ) like that are dealt with by way of a grazing concession - working for DOC here in the Naki we had at least 12 of them -but they only give the concessionaire the right to graze it thats it - anyone with a hunting permit can legally hunt it - but a lot of the concessionaires have not read the paper work and regarded it as a lease and they had exclusive rights - spent a lot of time explaining no hunters have the right to hunt it - many wanted to have it as no hunting - I never backed down on that- no hunters with a permit can hunt it - sadly a lot did not get the message and regard the area as their own - common problem see DOC if you have an issue with a grazing area you have the right to hunt it unless the Concessionaire has managed to get DOC to sign of on no hunting but that can be argued that under concession rules permitted hunting should be allowed - I would stick to your guns on that one you are being denied a legal right - legal paper roads and other obscure reserves along water ways are common - hunt them as part of the adjoining DOC block - most exist only as lines on paper as they have for the last 100 + years - but in fact never been used - most mapped back over 100+ years ago and then only as a paper excercise -there are also many little obscure bits of land within DOC blocks most alongside old paper roads that were mapped out 100+ years ago as quarry reserves - land for a roadmans house - land for a school - even a whole village - again exist only on paper -and most are under DOC ( school Reserves Quarry Reserves etc ) except for a few such as legal paper roads ( still local Council)
    Last edited by Barry the hunter; 07-11-2023 at 08:26 PM.
    Trout, rupert, Micky Duck and 3 others like this.