Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Rotorua based hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Hunty1 View Post
    Cheers @Gibo! Very generous offer! I will flick you a PM once settled in.
    Give us the hot oil on where to find decent Otago stags and ill PM you all of Gibo's best spots!
    kiwijames, Gibo and Steve123 like this.

Get!!

Heaps of good hunting close to rotorua. In terms of variety it's one of the best spots in the country. Got like 5 varieties of deer within an hours drive.

Not a huge amount of open tops stuff until you hit the Kawekas kiamanwas. Some very productive slip hunting through the urewera and towards the Cape though.

Speaking of rotorua hunting, anyone know what Tarwera is like? Have recently acquired aquatic transport and was thinking or going for a mission over those ways. Boat safe ish to park up somwhere and go for a wander?
    tetawa, Steve123 and Ingrid 51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden C View Post
    Give us the hot oil on where to find decent Otago stags and ill PM you all of Gibo's best spots!
    Now we're talking! GPX file okay?

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    Heaps of good hunting close to rotorua. In terms of variety it's one of the best spots in the country. Got like varieties of deer within an hours drive.

Not a huge amount of open tops stuff until you hit the Kawekas kiamanwas. Some very productive slip hunting through the urewera and towards the Cape though.

Speaking of rotorua hunting, anyone know what Tarwera is like? Have recently acquired aquatic transport and was thinking or going for a mission over those ways. Boat safe ish to park up somwhere and go for a wander?
    @Gapped axe is the man in the know down there. Send him a PM.
    Nick-D likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    Heaps of good hunting close to rotorua. In terms of variety it's one of the best spots in the country. Got like 5 varieties of deer within an hours drive.

There is/was a full time person at hot water beach campsite, from there you can hunt between Tarawera and Rotomahana lakes
    Nick-D likes this.

I hunted a block in the mamakus post roar 3 years ago. Supposedly fallow and reds in the area. Found a big scrape and let out some roars but nothing. Only had a short window so didn't get that far in but I think with some time you would find animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunty1 View Post
    So having lived in the South all my life looks like I will be relocating to Rotorua in a few months....

As a Mainlander born and bred I am slightly clueless as to the hunting opportunities in the area. I obviously have heard about chasing Sika in the Kaweka and that's about it! A bit of time on google has shown me that there appears to be a reasonable amount of DOC land within a few hours of Rotorua and also a fair bit of private Maori land that can be accessed (helisika, Te Urewera etc).

So my my question is, what general areas would you recommend to start poking about when I get up there? I'm happy bush stalking (cut my teeth chasing fallow around the Blue Mountains and bush stalking Fiordland valleys) but do enjoy hunting the open tops and broken country as well. Are there many options for day hunts or do most areas involve at least a weekend away?

My online reading seems to suggest every man and his dog head to Clements Mill rd or jump in a heli, guessing there's a bit more to it than that! ;-)

Not asking for anyone's spot X, just a few recommendations to get an idea of the lay of the land. Nothing like getting the boots on and exploring a new bit of country!

Many thanks!
    Hey mate,

I'm fairly new to rotorua also, it's always good to meet like minded people, if your interested once your up here, and want to t up a hunt or something, even head out for a beer, just let me know.

Cheers Bevan
    Hunty1 likes this.

Welcome to the North mate.
    As a former South Otago resident, I can assure you the hunting opportunities up here are plentiful!
    Hunty1 likes this.