Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: RSTH episode last night RIVER CROSSINGS

would love to see this episode lol.

the good news here is that the Hunters club tv crew decided to keep it real, so easily done to hide the truths and run with some bullshittery to present on screen.....

after watching "the social dilemma" before reading this, its refreshing to hear something uploaded online wasnt just about perceived receptions and potential likes.

yeeehhaaaaaaaaa

Banned
    If anyone wants some Dyneema cord at a price that wont break the bank I can help out and put you onto the right outfit. 4.5 mm Dyneema 1100 kg working load breaking strain. 100 metre length 25 bucks + GST and freight. I have three lengths ordered for mates so far.

@Moa Hunter, please put me down for one. Cheers
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Banned
    I have had quite a few PM's re the Dyneema cord which is great, next week I will make arrangements - I hope that someone will be saved from an injury or worse.
    There is one condition to this deal and that is that everyone who wants the cord has to agree that they will read the river crossing article posted earlier and have a practice when they get their cord.
    I am going to find out what deal is available on stainless quicklinks ( screw lock chainlink ) These are stronger and cheaper than Carabiners.
    chainsaw, berg243 and Ned like this.

What happens if you have no rivers nearby..... will need a few lengths to make it over this strech of water!
    Tikka7mm08 likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    What happens if you have no rivers nearby..... will need a few lengths to make it over this strech of water!
    In your case there is a surcharge of 1kg BC fillets. Have you read the article ? Practice procedure on a grass area with two mates.

Our SAR group is doing a river training in the next few weeks with the local rafting guides. Should be fun
    Moa Hunter, berg243 and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    If anyone wants some Dyneema cord at a price that wont break the bank I can help out and put you onto the right outfit. 4.5 mm Dyneema 1100 kg working load breaking strain. 100 metre length 25 bucks + GST and freight. I have three lengths ordered for mates so far.
    I'm keen to take you up on this offer, Have flicked you a PM. Cheers.
    Moa Hunter and dannyb like this.

Banned
    Update on Dyneema tmoro
    223nut, berg243 and dannyb like this.

Banned
    Dyneema / Dynice update :

The company that gave me the pricing on the Dyneema / Dynice (same fibre different brands ) is Hampidjan in Nelson. I had a confirmed order and pricing with them before posting on this thread and then on Tuesday I received an email stating they had made a pricing error and could not supply at that price. The real price is 10x with apparently a mistake made in the coil size - by dividing the price into a 1000 mtr coil NOT the actual 100mtr coil that they are.
    After (heated) discussion I have the following solution:

Hampidjan will supply an alternate trawl net braid ( Magnet Yellow) at a Forum discount, which while not as strong as Dyneema is as light, floats and is more abrasion resistant.
    The one selected is Yellow so it will be visible in the water and has a knot strength of 427 kg for a 5.6 mm diameter. 140 metres weighs 1.5. kg $19.95 per spool
    There is a 6.2mm M.Y. that has a knot strength of 530kg and has 120 metres on a 1.5kg spool. $20.55 per spool.

6mm stainless quicklinks are available as a stronger lighter alternative to Carabiners. These have a breaking load of 3000kg and are $5.50 each

Tracked Courier $7.80 2-3 day economy

To order, email Luke Irving at Hampidjan - Luke@hampidjan.co.nz and use the order code NZHS 62832 to get the discount.

Sorry and profuse apologies I dont feel good about this matter at all. On the positive side the Magnet Yellow will be perfect for river crossing and is plenty strong enough at the same weight as the Dyneema and will be visible in the water which makes it safer.
    Very sorry to the blokes who wanted winch lines, I cannot source an alternative.

Thanks for all your efforts anyway. I know what its like attempting to do a deal for some 'mates'. Things can grow like topsy, and then there is the supplier getting his decimal points in the wrong place

That article you linked is very well researched and written. Is more than 40 years since I was a bushcraft Instructor and its gratifying to see the progress that has occurred on such topical subjects like river Xing.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    Thanks for all your efforts anyway. I know what its like attempting to do a deal for some 'mates'. Things can grow like topsy, and then there is the supplier getting his decimal points in the wrong place

That article you linked is very well researched and written. Is more than 40 years since I was a bushcraft Instructor and its gratifying to see the progress that has occurred on such topical subjects like river Xing.
    Regarding the River Crossing article and rope crossing, interesting that MSC doesn't teach rope assisted crossings now. In my copy of the MSC Basic Manual 2 (1971) they do have a very similar method to the one in the article except that the first man does not have a safety line as well as the belay line.
    I dont think that there is a better way to cross than the one in the article as long as the ford is checked clear of logs and big rocks that could foul the rope.

Banned
    Rope arrived today for myself Andy and Danny. 5.6mm Magnet Yellow, looks great along with the stainless 'quick links'
    dannyb likes this.