Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Rules around shooting on a lifestyle block

Rules around shooting on a lifestyle block

Can anyone fill me in on if there are any specific rules relating to shooting rabbits on a lifestyle block? obviously taking into consideration having a proper backdrop, taking safe shots and using good firearms practices in general but is there a limit in terms of what size the property is or zoning etc?

my understanding is once zoned rural...your good to go...DONT PISS OFF NEIGHBOURS and if in doubt..go see boys n gals in blue.....it will be them you have to deal with if you get it wrong,far better to get on right foot to begin with.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Not sure if Welly and AKL have the same regulations,

I'm in AKL - Rodney - Rural Production zone,
    I can use rimfire all day with a silencer so I don't upset my neighbours,
    centre fire can be used but within the limit e.g. scope zeroing, testing a new rifle, putting down an animal, hunting, etc.
    However, I can't shoot centre fire all day unless I have a genuine reason e.g. zombie attack.
    Check your local council zoning and rules to be sure
    Micky Duck likes this.

Don't upset ANYONE & you will be fine

Ie Subsonic...if in doubt contact your local arms office

Have 10 acres in nth Canterbury. Use my back paddock to sight in guns etc . Got a good relationship with neighbours and have no problems. My 8 year old shoots targets for an hour or so once a month . As far as I’m concerned I’m on rural land and respectful and don’t shoot at night or first thing in morning to annoy neighbours so i should be good . Shoot thee odd clay target too . Rule number 1 , just keep the neighbours sweet . As far as I’m aware tho rural land you can discharge a firearm as you wish , within reason !!

Quote Originally Posted by Rendogg View Post
    Have 10 acres in nth Canterbury. Use my back paddock to sight in guns etc . Got a good relationship with neighbours and have no problems. My 8 year old shoots targets for an hour or so once a month . As far as I’m concerned I’m on rural land and respectful and don’t shoot at night or first thing in morning to annoy neighbours so i should be good . Shoot thee odd clay target too . Rule number 1 , just keep the neighbours sweet . As far as I’m aware tho rural land you can discharge a firearm as you wish , within reason !!
    Just remember if you upset someone with gunfire it won't be a pretty ending for you...I was scared...I didn't feel safe...etc

I had 10 acres and shot loads of rabbits on it always with a .22 rimfire and subsonics, one of my neighbours was the local cop and until I mentioned it one day he had no idea I was doing it. Was never a problem.
    Happy Jack.

Sweet, thanks guys. Think I'll make a few inquiries to make sure everything is sound but pretty much as I expected seems like.

Be careful with bouncing those slow, quiet subs, better off with something a bit noisy, that doesn’t ricochet, like a 17 HMR, and tell your neighbours why.
    Always concerned me when I had a few acres,
    Micky Duck, outlander, Ned and 1 others like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

MB
    Sadly, I have stopped shooting on lifestyle blocks belonging to mates. In the last 10 years or so, a lot of houses have gone up and the areas have become quite suburban, plus attitudes have changed. If I was serious about it, think I would buy a decent PCP.
    Maca49, Sika stag, Stag and 3 others like this.

I had a decent earth bank on my property but was still always mindful of direction I was firing
    Maca49, Micky Duck and outlander like this.

Check your background. The first night on our property I spotlighted a rabbit about 80 metres down from the house. Took the shot and the bullet hit the ground just in front of the rabbit and went weeeeeee. It's probably still going. I fair shit myself. Had not expected a rico. Next morning I took notice of all the houses in our basin. Stupid, one of the seven rules.
    I now just use the PCP.
    Maca49, Micky Duck, MB and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Be careful with bouncing those slow, quiet subs, better off with something a bit noisy, that doesn’t ricochet, like a 17 HMR, and tell your neighbours why.
    Always concerned me when I had a few acres,
    Maca is on to it - 22 subs would be about the worst thing you could use in terms of safety.
    Maca49 and outlander like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    Just remember if you upset someone with gunfire it won't be a pretty ending for you...I was scared...I didn't feel safe...etc
    I have suppressors on all my firearms , and have spoken to my two neighbours who are fine . Usually hear nothing they rekon . Just remember not everyone is an idiot
    outlander likes this.

MB
    The question of extra low velocity (720 fps) fragmenting 22LR for these situations has been discussed previously. Any thoughts?