Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By camenzie
  • 2 Post By outdoorlad
  • 2 Post By 30.06king

Thread: Seeking Hunting Guide advice for American friends

Seeking Hunting Guide advice for American friends

Hello Members,
    I haven't been here long but have been enjoying the wide variety of topic coverage. Some here clearly speak from sound experience.
    Asking if anyone would care to suggest South Island hunting guides for Red Stag, or Red Stag and Tahr I could suggest to a couple of American friends who are thinking of an NZ hunt in the next year or two. I would not contact make contact myself but want to pass on names and contact info so they can make the enquiries. I haven't hunted with these guys ( dad & son ) myself but gather they're fairly keen having seen pics of some of their USA hunts. They are well aware that some NZ operators cater to the very high end of the market with the mega stags, associated costs, five star lodges and services but this is a scenario they want to avoid. They realise with time constraints that booking a private land hunt is probably their best option and they would like to find no nonsense outfitters / guides offering a genuine hunting experience, opportunities at decent stags at least, perhaps involving a combination of 4WD and hiking exploration and maybe hut / home based combined with some fly camping (weather permitting ). I used to know one or two such operators but sadly one of them died and apart from that I'm unsure who has and hasn't survived in business through Covid these days.
    Anyway, any recommendations would be very welcome. If anyone has questions please fire away.

Cheers.
    Last edited by 30.06king; 06-01-2023 at 03:44 PM.

offering a genuine hunting experience, opportunities at decent stags at least
    Where do I sign up for the opportunities at decent stags on my genuine hunts?

I can trade in shitloads of hills, marginal river crossings, deer I can see with the binos but not through the scope, and sneaky buggers that sneak up behind me while I’m having lunch, bark or squeak, and scare the shit out of me.

But nah, not familiar with and outfitters or guides. Good luck.
    257weatherby and 20 Bore like this.

There was one guy just north of Geraldine called Dave surname escapes me . Can't find him in the guides section but someone might know him.

Get hold of John, he’ll sort them out https://www.tahrhuntingguide.co.nz/
    Trout and wekaman like this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Highly recommend John as per post above
    Free range fair chase hunts
    Give him a call

Can also Recommend Sheldon Lye,
    NZ Trophy hunting. He will taylor what they want, from DOC walk in all they way to the 5 star behind the wire stuff.
    I've done DOC and private land free range with him.
    https://trophyhunting.co.nz/
    Z
    PS using a NZ guide/outfitter makes bringing your own rifles etc in much easier as they can give you an NZ address and secure storage etc to comply with the temporary firearms licence.
    PM if you want email address etc but he's easy to find
    Last edited by ZQLewis; 11-01-2023 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZQLewis View Post
    Can also Recommend Sheldon Lye,
    NZ Trophy hunting. He will taylor what they want, from DOC walk in all they way to the 5 star behind the wire stuff.
    I've done DOC and private land free range with him.
    https://trophyhunting.co.nz/
    Z
    PS using a NZ guide/outfitter makes bringing your own rifles etc in much easier as they can give you an NZ address and secure storage etc to comply with the temporary firearms licence.
    PM if you want email address etc but he's easy to find
    Thankyou for the recommendation. Reminds me, I talked to Sheldon a few years ago at an Auckland hunting show. I'll add his name to the list.
    Cheers.
    stingray and ZQLewis like this.