Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Selling game to a chiller?

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    Yeah, hundred year old eggs. Used to eat them in Viet Nam and Thailand. Not bad once you got over the look.....or just didn't look at it at all
    Aren't cultural differences interesting? Didn't know what Balut was so hit Mr Google. Near lost my breakfast! Guess if I actually tried it I might get over my initial revulsion and get to like it - but maybe not. I don't react well to the idea of eating force fed dog either, or force fed duck liver. Haggis is not that tempting either. Not even too keen on hangi being that I like my meat caremalized to some extent. I wonder what things I eat that cause revulsion in other cultures. Maybe slow BBQ pork shoulder? Lol...
    Moa Hunter and CBH Australia like this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    There is just so much more that one can sell on todays market place, we only had venison...the Asians (in NZ) today will buy almost anything that they call food...buy an incubator and start creating balut and you will beat hands down anything we ever made from selling venison...really good money selling bush shot velvet heads, mate sold 4 last year for over $1200 (collectively), which is more than he would have got for the bodies.
    Guessing this is selling round the back of a Chinese medicine shop?

We have a few of those round abouts, might make some inquiries, might help that I speak some broken Mandarin...

back when I was a teenager ,mate n I would head,neck shoot goats,gut them,leaving the pucks in and take into Mananui in car trailer and sell them to chiller,we only got $5-10 per animal,but it was beer money. not long before that we were getting average of $5 for green possum skin average....good coin for a school boy.

shot rabbits for commercial dog tucker twice in my lifetime...did it for job for awhile in Tarras. then again in mackenzie country helping out a mate,the 2nd lot we had to keep temperature senser with us to make sure air temps were low enough so meat didnt spoil...always stayed cool enough with an ice pack and small chilly bin LOL
    we would shoot 40-50 then stop and have a gutting session,lay them out to cool and carry on till we had 5-6 lots of bunnies to collect up. we got back to one lot and found them nearly all gone...2 ferrets had stashed them down burrows all around the pile....took Kerry n I ages to get them all back out,always aware Mr ferret could be next body you grabbed...fun times .
    Moa Hunter and caberslash like this.

Quote Originally Posted by caberslash View Post
    Guessing this is selling round the back of a Chinese medicine shop?

We have a few of those round abouts, might make some inquiries, might help that I speak some broken Mandarin...
    Each ethnic group has a person who deals in the buying of produce, one just needs to make contact with them...if people only knew what that manky billy goat they left to rot in the bush was really worth they would have carried it out...a lot of what we leave in the bush as deer guts is worth good money.
    caberslash likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    Each ethnic group has a person who deals in the buying of produce, one just needs to make contact with them...if people only knew what that manky billy goat they left to rot in the bush was really worth they would have carried it out...a lot of what we leave in the bush as deer guts is worth good money.
    Very true, your local Nepalese, African or Indian restaurant (if you have one) will do crazy things for wild goat.