Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: The Shots of which your most Proud

Banned
    so you can get a sig???????im up for it

R93
    Na, not unless we can attend a shoot run by some mates in the battalion. I dont know anyone at home that owns one or a range were we could do the stuff that was considered normal in the Army.
    When you come down we will see if all the money the Queen spent on you was worth it
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Bunny shot dead cold with 12 gauge at 120m
    TIKKA 595 7mm08 for the deer 12 gauge for everything else!

You're absolutely right - there are two feats one can achieve in the field and they are mutually exclusive, stalking vs ranged shooting. My two best memories are examples of these. I'd spent 6 years shooting the lightest of gear - a sub 12 ft/lbs underlever air rifle in a little known sport in NZ called Field Target. I knew what my fall of shot was and i knew what the wind does and why i had to wait till it grew steady. Anyway the only part of the Hare i could see was its head so i took the educated guess and put my .177 pellet into its temple at 95 yards! Stoned it cold. Best shot i will ever take in my life but i wouldnt have bothered normally

My greatest feat hunting though was the moment i walked right up to several sleeping bunnies on a wet sunny morning with the sun to my back - having to back up 'cause my scope couldnt allow me to shoot them at 7 yards!

I havent really scored anything yet with my 6.5x55 yet.

R93
    I spose in hunting I have had a few to remember but cant single any one shot out. I do have a memory of a military competition though.
    Our Battalion that at the time was over 500 men strong, had the yearly inter company and individual top shot comp for the battalion. It was also used as a selection for various shooting teams. The shoot was the second Queens medal practice at the time.
    70 rounds fired from 300m up to 30 at reactive type targets including 5 walking 300m and 200m targets. Hit was a hit no scoreing rings. Sounds easy? Never met a civie that got over 55 yet, when they tried, hunters from way back they were TBF it is way different to anything they would have encountered.

Anyway the shoot was run in Dunedin and I was at the time fighting fires in Alex and and hoping to defend the previous yrs title where I shot a 69/70 to win it. I had my personal rifle with me but it and me had not fired a live round for a while.
    I rocked up to Waitati range nth of Dunners to join the last 10 man detail of the whole comp. As I arrived I was informed a fellow team member shot a 69/70 so I should just blow enough rounds off to qualify for the team as the shoot was already won and it was pretty windy.

I shrugged my shoulders almost thinking the same. The practice started and we got 5 sighters from 300. My first rnd went 12" off target into the screen and I had to endure a lot of sniggering from assholes that follwed us up.

Anyway long story short I had 10 rounds left too fire as we advanced from 50 to 30 and I was told by my team coach and RCO I was all on for a possible.
    Wanker!!!
    As the HOD locked back on the empty mag after my last shot I noted the round was miles off target as it struck the butts. It also was accompanied by a loud crack as it passed thru the wooden pole that held the target. Unmistakeable sound to the firer.
    I was satisfied but a tad nervous, because everyone following me up was hoping for failure especially the bloke who had shot 69/70 shouted for glee when they seen the round strike the butts miles off the target. I was sure unless I had missed a shot earlier I was all on.
    As we retreated up the range scores were being read out over the radio. "Firer 1...60" "firer 2 ...65" and so on Most were pretty low and I was thinking it was due to the conditions so it was normal, I resigned to the fact my score would be below average but good enough for the team.
    I was firer 10 on the line and as they got to my score there was the call over the radio "Firer 9... 64"... firer 10 "wait"
    I knew right then I had it again, but others that were interested took it as something else and started shaking my offsiders hand. As we reached the range hut beyond the 300 mound I heard my name screamed out followed by you Jammy f^&&ing C%&T!!! I just smiled and carried on walking to my vehicle, stowed my weapon and drove back to Alex to continue on the fires.

That last rnd would have to be my most memorable and has given me bragging rights to this day. It was the 3rd year in a row I clinched it and the 5th time overall and it has not been matched before or since. No doubt it will one day, but it is a bragging right I will cherish.
    Neckshot likes this.

Banned
    Nice R93,being on the range in comp with your peers in the army were everything comes down to a well aimed shot are IMO the best times ive had in the army and my most cherished that bought back memories.

R93

The Shots of which your most Proud

Yeah mate. I have done well in plenty of civie comps especially the clay target sports but it would take winning the worlds in sporting to top that for me.
    Bragging rights over mates you have been thru so much with is pricless and unless you have had green pumping thru your veins at one time or another it would be hard to appreciate.
    I still catch up with most of the blokes I shot with in the Army. Even the old mate I pipped on that day. He still shakes his head when it is brought up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. So please forgive my sausage fingers!!!

Banned
    Funny that, Cheeter still cant handle the short stumpy boy peeling him at Dunedin!its the one thing he cant ever win an argument over.

R93

The Shots of which your most Proud

Yeah but he sports a wings and dagger on his beret!
    It was between you and him who topped corps training. I trained him and the Ox trained you if I remember right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. So please forgive my sausage fingers!!!

Banned
    well thats true ox did teach me how to mutton up hills with pack on!

My best shot is the first successfull hunt I had alone. I went to a block and missed a shot at a young deer first thing in the morning (prob my worst shot) then walked all day trying to make up for it. Tied as hell in the evening I spotted a mob or deer so positioned myself for the shot. Nailed one on the spot . As the others ran it felt like forever as it was very open bush. Finally I couldnt take it anymore so thought I would take a crack as the bolted, prob couple hundred metres away on the run. Blow me down I hit one and it buckled mid air with both front legs folding under just like in the movies. I will never forget that shot it was a total fluke...

There's two that I can think of.

I was on the farm and hadn't had my firearms license for long. At the time there were loads and loads of hares on that farm (mother nature gave me an easy start to my hunting). I snuck around the bushes into one paddock, turned my spotlight on, saw two hares, one jumped in behind the other and I knew I only had a second to make the shot. I sent a velocitor clean through the first ones chest and straight into the second one. I had to finish the second one off with another shot, but I hit two hares with my 10/22 with one bullet.

The other one was a fallow that was eating 250m away, with his arse facing towards me. I waited for a couple of mins (which felt like an eternity) but he never turned around so I lined up, waited for him to bow his head again and sent a 140 grain 7mm pill right through the bottom of his head, out the top. He dropped like a tonne of bricks.

My proudest shots would be those that drop the animal on the spot where they stand, stone dead with no suffering.
    There have been many but also too many that I am not proud of at all...

Prob the best shot i ever did and will always remember was when i first started having a look around by myself with the rifle, was using a open sight 308, mainly looking for goats to shoot and shot a few with that rifle before upgrraded to a scoped 243. Anyway, one day after shooting two goats i spot a pig about 200 plus metres away at least, was on the opposite ridge and no chance of getting closer so i decieded to have a crack, wasnt really expecting to hit it with open sights but got a good rest, took aim and BOOM and that pig just dropped on the spot, first pig ive ever shot at that stage and never forget that, was one hell of a shot lol

Given my 1st gun ( slug gun ) by my dad and fired from the dining room open doors into the old outside toilet door. All five slugs from standing position in a five cent circle with three touching one another. Loved it ever since