Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Sierra Matchking 308 125gr HP for huntinf

Sierra Matchking 308 125gr HP for huntinf

I can get some of these cheap. Would they be OK for chest shots on goats, fallow?
    Their web site suggests not for hunting.
    Would appreciate comments from past users.
    Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
    https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y

Walking my rifle
    Yeah mate, will work fine on those animals if you shoot straight. Mind you, i did have a fallow buck last weekend take a 165interlock and not exit on a shoulder shot, still died just fine, but i was surprised no exit, bullet was in the offside shoulder.

Mind you, ive also shot quite a few fallow bucks with the 22 250AI and 55gr softpoints and they died just fine.
    If you can't kill it with bullets, dont f*ck with it.

Good shot placement beats displacement
    Micky Duck, NewbieZAR and TimC like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldbloke View Post
    I can get some of these cheap. Would they be OK for chest shots on goats, fallow?
    Their web site suggests not for hunting.
    Would appreciate comments from past users.
    No they are match bullets and will not expand.

Looking around lots of conflicting info.

This bloke drilled the tip out and got good results.
    Just bought 500 for $150 delivered. Ill only be pushing them at about 2650fps

See the 6 minute mark.
    He tested them and some penciled through. (Inconsistant)
    The drilled tip. 1/16" drill in 1/4" got great result.

https://youtu.be/tdztWjTl2EU?si=xZUBjQbRzzZhAJos
    Last edited by Oldbloke; 22-09-2023 at 02:21 PM.
    rupert likes this.
    Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldbloke View Post
    Looking around lots of conflicting info.

This bloke drilled the tip out and got good results.
    Just bought 500 for $150 delivered. Ill only be pushing them at about 2650fps

See the 6 minute mark.
    He tested them and some penciled through. (Inconsistant)
    The drilled tip. 1/16" drill in 1/4" got great result.

https://youtu.be/tdztWjTl2EU?si=xZUBjQbRzzZhAJos
    ok so couple of questions..why a light projectile going so slowly??? 7.62x39mm perhaps???
    in theory projectiles are like car crashes and having a wank...the faster you go the bigger the mess
    thousands of animals have been sucessfully shot and killed using FMJ that didnt expand or tumble..you hit shoulder bones ,destroy locomotion ability and take out lungs at same time.... if the pencil going slow...speed them up...if they too explody,slow them down..works for just about every other projectile on the market..forsure a slight opening of nose cavity can help initiate opening..but jacket construction and speed play just as big of part.
    HNTMAD likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Range is generally short, say less than 180 yards. So 2600 - 2700fps is plenty and its very mild to shoot out of 30.06.

Ive almost run out of the 130gr SPs. These will do me for a long time. Game targeted is, foxes, dogs, goats, sml pigs, fallow.

So that are all light animals.take out shoulders lungs and be fine.faster is better all the same.
    BSA270 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    So that are all light animals.take out shoulders lungs and be fine.faster is better all the same.

Yeh, it fills the gap (like a 243 might) between my 223 and my other 30.06 loaded with 180gr interlocks that i use when chasing sambar.

Dont think i would use them on a big Red given they are reputed to be a bit unreliable. A 1.5mm drill should fix that tho.

ADI says my current load is going about 2980fps. But i suspect its much closer to 2700fps.

keep an eye out for 130grn speer hp or the speer 125grn TNT First one works awesome at full speed if want maximum damage but works well slower too..as in 7.62x39mm speed..the TNT is as its name suggests..very explody
    both arent hard to find and not hugely expensive...and if you ever find taipans..grab them quick..even more explody in 30/06 as in decapitate goats with neck shot.
    Rangidan and Steelo like this.

Yes, i was looking for another 130gr SP. But currently still dear over here. Not a lot under $70 a box. And looking to buy bulk to stock up. These were brought to my attention on sale, so just grabbed them. There is a lot of conflicting info out there. Some love them, some hate them. Hoping they will be reliable. I gather the HP is tiny. I'm confident the 1.5mm drill will fix it. Im not fussy, they just need to work.

This is the new normal over here.
    And this shop is generally cheap.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

the 135grn HP varminter jumps out at me.....
    yeah HOPEFULLY the ywill work out ok for you... I guess if you keep a few other loads on hand in case it turns pear shaped..all is good.probably not a silly idea to have something heavier on hand anyway just incase a big boar walks out...

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    the 135grn HP varminter jumps out at me.....
    yeah HOPEFULLY the ywill work out ok for you... I guess if you keep a few other loads on hand in case it turns pear shaped..all is good.probably not a silly idea to have something heavier on hand anyway just incase a big boar walks out...
    Big jump in cost tho.

I do like the idea, i can carry a couple of 180gr loads.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Different weight bullet but I was told 190gr SMK would work on game. Well that went terribly, super accurate but goes straight through on chest shots. Maybe shot 40-50 animals with them out to 400m and probably 15-20 of them went bad. I have decided there’s no point using a match bullet when there’s hunting bullets that do a much better job.
    Nothing walks away from a 190gr Berger
    Micky Duck likes this.