Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Sika country pointers

Sika country pointers

In a couple of weeks I fly to North Arm with my old man and his brother for a week in the hills to mark their 70th birthday (they’re twins). Between them they introduced me to hunting, camping, and traipsing the bush with a pack on your back. I’ve never been to North Arm, so was hoping someone might be able to share some advice.
    Cheers, Kune.
    hotsoup likes this.

I thought you were a dog breeder when I read your post
    tetawa likes this.

Haven't been in there since Air Charter "lost" it, was a great block then, used to do well behind the hut and Blue Duck creek, plus the terraces below Blue Duck last light. But like most hunting areas need to get to know it. Never went there before early November when the yearlings began to appear.
    Shearer likes this.

As above. There is a "knob" in the center of the valley just above Blue Duck. Good place to sit on dark and scan the terraces. Long shots from there but you can locate the animals for a stalk later.
    tetawa and Woody like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Head up Blue Duck creek on the true right, Easy bush to sidle through and plenty of animals when I was last there.
    Woody likes this.
    ZeroPak Vacuum Sealers, Zero air Zero waste

Deer at all points of the compass in there for sure.

Shit I meant true left.
    ZeroPak Vacuum Sealers, Zero air Zero waste

Thanks for the replies so far guys. Bloody good of you.
    Is a wander down to the confluence a feasible option for a day hunt? Or better to camp out?
    Woody likes this.

Depends on how fit your 70 year olds are.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kune View Post
    Is a wander down to the confluence a feasible option for a day hunt? Or better to camp out?
    Was a hut in the lower Blue Duck, don't know if it's still in operation. Only a short walk to Blue Duck if you cut across the terraces.

Quote Originally Posted by Kune View Post
    It's a pretty easy walk takes about 45 odd minutes allowing for a a little searching for the track markers, and generally you're right Into them once into blue duck. I've hunted the flats in first and last light walking from the hut. Would only bother camping at blue duck if u really wanted to hunt further down valley, which if you did you'd be walking past a lot of deer.

Deer everywhere in there, average day bush stalking I'd expect to see at least 5 deer. We've always had better luck in the Bush than out in the open although only hunted it in may so often still in roar mode.

This time of year I'd be thinking scrub edge/bush margins early mornings/evenings then climbing and sidling during the day.

The 2 creeks directly across valley from the hut are a bit scrubby/shitty but other than that it's pretty good bush most places, and fairly easy travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    It's a pretty easy walk takes about 45 odd minutes allowing for a a little searching for the track markers, and generally you're right Into them once into blue duck. I've hunted the flats in first and last light walking from the hut. Would only bother camping at blue duck if u really wanted to hunt further down valley, which if you did you'd be walking past a lot of deer.

Deer everywhere in there, average day bush stalking I'd expect to see at least 5 deer. We've always had better luck in the Bush than out in the open although only hunted it in may so often still in roar mode.

This time of year I'd be thinking scrub edge/bush margins early mornings/evenings then climbing and sidling during the day.

The 2 creeks directly across valley from the hut are a bit scrubby/shitty but other than that it's pretty good bush most places, and fairly easy travel.
    Thanks Nick-D. Good to know travel time to blue duck. When I asked about the confluence I was meaning the one at the Mangamingi. Sounds like it there may not be a need to go that far though.

Thanks to you guys that replied to my question. We had a great time in the block, even managed a couple of deer too. Much appreciated.
    tetawa, Shearer, Woody and 3 others like this.

Any sign of the rogue dogs?

Not while we were there. They were back in the cascade area supposedly. But I have it on good authority they were heard at the top of the North Arm block over the weekend.
    Maxx likes this.