Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: Skunked AGAIN

@Yesmate...I just cannot like that..... at least you got a deer...I assume you still got it out so your freezer can be topped up. heal well.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    @Yesmate...I just cannot like that..... at least you got a deer...I assume you still got it out so your freezer can be topped up. heal well.
    No I left it there which really rustled my jimmies!such a waste and was a little spiker so felt bad about taking him out and not utilising him.i thought about taking him but started to freak a bit when the blood was flowing so made tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeyJason View Post
    Dear micky, several yrs ago I had a go at training you to be a tussock hunter, pls go back over our successful journeys and apply them to your future meat gathering expeditions.
    Funny thing @SmokeyJason, the last deer he shot was in tussock/open country. Had some of the backsteak for breakfast this morning, very tasty.

Name:  20230304_083042.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  6.17 MB

Name:  20230708_095124.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  2.41 MB

Good to hear there's a few in there @Micky Duck, workmate told me he spooked one further up the hill while he was on the track.
    Micky Duck, ROKTOY, RV1 and 1 others like this.

Breakfast of champions right there
    RUMPY and RV1 like this.

RV1
    Quote Originally Posted by RUMPY View Post
    Funny thing @SmokeyJason, the last deer he shot was in tussock/open country. Had some of the backsteak for breakfast this morning, very tasty.

Good to hear there's a few in there @Micky Duck, workmate told me he spooked one further up the hill while he was on the track.
    Micky looks younger than I had imagined...

Nice looking rifle!

nah thats Rumpy jnr......

RV1
    nah thats Rumpy jnr......
    I know just taking the p*ss
    RUMPY likes this.

RV1
    What's the rifle? Looks like a sweet setup

bakail 222 with waitaki muzzle forward can. worn 3 different scopes in last 6 months until I settled on wee 3x loopy...for now LOL.
    sore head stoat and RV1 like this.

went to another block today...been there once before.... did 700verticle meters and walked 13kms.....rain early on and fined up but didnt see a thing,not even a hare.... bit of old pig sign,no deer sign AT ALL inside block boundary.... too much safe easy country around it.... no food on a lot of block and what is there is down low...walked through enough of it to know there is bugger all animals in residence.spent fair bit of time behind binos but nothing seen anywhere...so much for the open country theory.

went to another block today...been there once before.... did 700verticle meters and walked 13kms.....rain early on and fined up but didnt see a thing,not even a hare.... bit of old pig sign,no deer sign AT ALL inside block boundary.... too much safe easy country around it.... no food on a lot of block and what is there is down low...walked through enough of it to know there is bugger all animals in residence.spent fair bit of time behind binos but nothing seen anywhere...so much for the open country theory.
    It's all in the way you hold your mouth. Just wait till spring.
    Got a little tale to tell.
    Two ex forest service hunters from the ureweras set about meat hunting back in the sixties.from memory it was in the horomanga, now try as he might our man Brian just could not connect all winter, the other hunter we,ll call him Wolf told him to not worry, he could ferry the animals down on the horses and out to the buyer and when spring gets going things will reverse and all will seen like a rainbow. That's what happened. Another tall tale n true from the depth of the ureweras.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Still striking out even though putting in some big days.but it's ok. Went for wander with @Billbob yesterday morning,good to meet up and put face to the name.no joy there so I tried again in afternoon in my usual haunt,covered different bit of country eg low down but other than wee porkers no sign seen at all.it will happen.
    Billbob likes this.

I guess that means I'm in good company cause I'm still striking out as well.

Thought I'd explore a different part of the block, it felt like there should have been deer around every tree but not a lot of sign.
    Decided I'll give myself more time and go in bit further on the next attempt.

On the way out 3 utes pass me on the track, last one stops for a chat and info swap.

They were after pigs, got none. did spook 3 deer though!!!
    I spose the good news is that I'm zeroing down the area I need to be in at this time of year.

Anyway dog was happy to have a good old sniffari and leg stretch.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Great to meet you @Micky Duck. It was an adventure for us both, full of good laughs and stories. I hope you catch up with your venison soon.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Bos
    Having a bit of a run of it lately....last three trips out after deer Ive been within 50 yards ofthem in thick bush and had them move off...first time I had dogs with me..deer were through a big patch of windfall on STEEP hillside,by time I had gone around bottom of windfall they were gone...last trip out had animal walking around on top of wee rise no more than 30 yards away and I was in sticky stick sticks galore...snap crackle n pop like rice bubbles.... dead n dry sticks laying all over the ground isnt easy to get past...went back there today worked in from higher angle but nobody home....then headed waaaaay up de hill slowly stalking trying not to make too much noise,found fresh deer wee still wet ground but nobody around,kept going and popped out in semi open gorse...have I ever mentioned how much I detest that bastard of a plant??? the deer are more than happy to live in it...stalked carefully through couple of hundred meters of the prickly crap,heard one move off but couldnt see it even after moving into clearish bit..tried stalking right to where the noise was coming from but nothing visible or heard..... carried on through more prickly crap and really thick regrowth then decided it was time to head homeward back down de hill....well semi sidling as dropping altitude,got into big area of deer sign,like stock yards but man was it thick.... 10-20 yards at best visibility...couple of hundred yards of challenging going and spooked some more...I mewed at them and moved quickly towards them but no dice....and they had gone back into area of gorse so..nah not going there. stood and watched for 5 minutes but nothing seen or heard so carried on down hill... got well down and creek was there on my right...but I hadnt crossed any creeks when heading along bottom of hill.....hmmmmm OK got fair idea where I am...can pull out phone and check if need to but bugga it I m too stubborn and will nut it out..carried on down stream and after half n hour things got interesting as large semi open area was seen across creek...can t be the carpark..that should be km away and I hadnt crossed track....didnt panic,had chuckle to self and kept my altitude and kept sidling only dropping a little as went down stream..heard voices across creek...bingo..now I was 99% sure of my location so just kept boogeeing along in old deer tracks till popped out on my ingoing track...absolutely shattered after anothe big day on the hill.... got back to car and turned my cellphone back on...fellow forumite had suggested calling in for cuppa tea on way past..so I did..highlight of my day
    so no deer shot again..but my fitness is getting better and Im enjoying myself...its nice to explore new bits of country..the wife is suggesting she will have to buy meat.......better get something soon.
    Sounds like you're losin it.........just sayin
    Micky Duck likes this.