Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: So what deer, etc are allowed to be shot?

Cant see me being bothered with anything 'trophy', I just like eating things, so do the kids. Actually the little buggers would probably tick me off if I brought home a head or antlers, they'd see that as being more carrying capacity for food. They might all be girls but they eat like teenage boys and I don't see any of them going vegetarian.

Quote Originally Posted by HeinB View Post
    Well said sneeze, anyway, if there are few deer around, look for a spiker, they taste best anyway
    So how do I recognize one of these spiker thingamies?

Ejected
    A couple of bits of bone sticking up outta it's head. Spikers as a rule don't get much more than 450mm (give or take you fussy cunts) of straight antler. They might go 600mm but no real points off that.

There has also been plenty of 2-3 year old's going eight point. Just smoke the fuckers. Red=dead! Brown=down. Good time=not a long time. Women=evil (oh wait, different conversation)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
    I have to say I will leave hinds also while they're likely to have young. On that note, how old does a fawn have to be before it can cater for itself?
    Iv always worked on the end of Feb this gives them 3 and a bit months on the tit and should have a very good chance of surviving.Earlier than that and they may or may not survive,I'm sure this is how the odd very small yearling occurs.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I've never had a problem shooting hinds this time of year, as long as you take the fawn too. Having said that, Hinds this time of year for some reason don't taste the best whilst lactating. Low on condition too. But Fawns are tasty?

My father in law has a deer farm so I'll ask him his thoughts next time I'm speaking to him. I wouldn't think it'd be a problem past the end of January?

Pretty sure they are mostly on grass after 6 weeks.

Should have also added that the hind with the fawn beside it may not be its mother either.Its end of feb before ill shoot anything female but Im not trying to push my personal standards onto anyone else.Its up to the individual behind the trigger to make their own decisions.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    So how do I recognize one of these spiker thingamies?
    What Wirehunt said, but you can also add that spikers are the ones doing REALLY DUMB things, as mum ain't around to give out advice, so a spiker will be the deer feeding at 7.30am out in the open, 100m from the hut dunny.

Name:  P2192296a.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  101.8 KB

Easy first deer for this young fella.
    Welcome to Sako club.

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    I haven't got a problem with anything getting shot as long as you don't WASTE the animal shot.
    I don't shoot hinds with fawns or but each to there own.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

That looks about my size dogmatix. Now that would make a great trophy tucked on the side of a plate with seasonal veg, etc. Just have to organise a day (or two) pass.

If you're planning on eating it and you have a good shot, adios Bambi I say!Name:  Hilux hunting email.jpg
Views: 1511
Size:  98.2 KB

Ejected
    Don't get to fussy either, a lot of people reckon stags in the roar taste like shit, that's only the way the prep them

I had the ute loooking like that a few times out of the Blues.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    Don't get to fussy either, a lot of people reckon stags in the roar taste like shit, that's only the way the prep them
    I reckon the chiller was the best invention ever for the pissy-flavoured roar stag... let 'em hang

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    I reckon the chiller was the best invention ever for the pissy-flavoured roar stag... let 'em hang
    Anything is improved by hanging in a chiller. I have one and its fantastic especially at this time of year.
    Last year(roar) all stags shot by our party were good eating.
    The year before i shot a youngish stag (est 4y) carried all four quarters back and fillets(I hunt to eat mainly and get away from it all) back to camp where they hung for 5 days.
    After about 3 days I thought Id cook up the back steaks thinking they would be alright as he was fairly fat.Wrong big time and yes I know how to cook a Back steak so it melts in your mouth.
    So after 5 days in the tree it spent a further 7 days in the chiller and was still strong tough chewy steak even the dog didn't like.
    Not all roar stags are bad eating in fact some are bloody good.BUT this one for whatever reason was fit only for salamis or dog tucker.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.