Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Smartie
  • 1 Post By Sika Seeker

Thread: So wheres the Japs?

So wheres the Japs?

C'mon, who's dropping them?

Back in from the long weekend with Twoshotkill, Timmay and old mate Morgan. Silent first two days, although called in a 4 pointer and saw a few hinds the first day, second the wind screwed us on an unsighted stag who winded us and gapped it. We then relocated, and only got into some heehaws the last day, a few stags going off in a gully, and all shut up by 8am. No single calling. Anyone had any good roaring yet? Bumped into a few different hunters in SF70 a few days prior, nobody had heard a peep, yet the end of Clements was going off from two separate accounts. Anyone else find this?

Overwhelmed by responses..

I'm no expert hunter but the last few trips have been mixed for me. 16th April, territory calls in the little area I was had one single call very close and was responsive to my reply's coming right on in. Had three other come in that day but no other single calls or other heard.
    Yesterday heard a territory call as I was slinging my rifle at the truck. Nothing heard of the rest of the day - but it was blowing its tits off.

Spoke to another hunter (we parked close together) who has put plenty on the deck this roar and he said that 22nd April they were going nuts, I didn't catch up with him to see how he went yesterday.

Two other mates went somewhere around SF70 and heard 4 going.

Another mate went into Waipakahi and heard a few but reckons its yet to happen.

Consensus is that I don't know but will get back out there as there seems to be heaps around where I'm hunting.
    Pointer likes this.

Yeah couldn't keep up with all the feedback smartie!

Your words line up with what others have told me. Hopefully a late or even second cycle to come?

5th of May apparently.....been a funny roar a lot quieter than last 5 years that's for sure. Something out of kilter I'm thinking. Seen a fawn no bigger than a month old last week
    Pointer likes this.

I know a guy that was in the Kaimanawa, they had the best roar ever, one day he said was in his top five of all time. Shot 3 and loads of opportunities as well, saw a lot of deer.

Hamish
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz