Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Something to look for

Not sure they are my brother in laws, they definitely do a good job, he has a few Bushnell's as well and they take better (Clearer) pic's and video

Impressive
    Nothing runs like a Deere, nothing drops em like a Browning.

And he is still there, got him on camera on the 30th August. We are still trying. Deereman you will have a chance when you come over in November those sambar's should still have there antlers.
    Gibo likes this.

Well we checked the cameras again today and got a few good shots of some red stags some still with antlers and one of them recently dropped. With the way the weather has been over the last week the deer seem to be not moving as much.
    We headed back to the Brother-in laws and had a nice lunch then decided to check an area out in the early afternoon that had had a lot of sign around it recently so at around 2.30 pm we left for a wee look see. Around 3.00pm we were heading for a spot a stag had been seen several times by a few different lots of people but just before arriving we shot up another side track which had recently been opened up for logging. As we cruised up the road we were watching the road ahead when my brother-in law's partner spot the stag out the side window about 30 yards up the bank on the edge o f the pines.
    I managed to get out while My brother -in law drew a bead on the stag but he waited for me to take the shot, at 30 yards I hit him in the neck with the 130 gr Noslar SB out of the 270 Name:  G0010788.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  1.11 MBName:  GOPR0832.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  1,021.6 KBand he never moved from the spot.
    We were luck as we could drive to a bank located below the stag and after gutting we dragged him down and onto the ute , back home I rough scored him at 195 DS and we weighted him at 145 kg. He was a bit thin after the rut and his gut was full from feeding not doubt enjoying a bit of a break in the weather.
    No it's not the one we call Biggie but he is the best Sambar Stag I have shot. Biggie is still out there to keep us trying.
    veitnamcam, tetawa, Gibo and 5 others like this.

nak
    nice and heavy through the beams.

He has good weight in the beams alright. I re scored him and came up with 197 7/8 DS but it is still going to get officially scored later on. When I skinned the head off I found something interesting, imbedded in his skull between his eyes was the tip off another stags antlers. It must take incredible force to break those antlers let alone breaking them off in the head of another stag. Shit it must have hurt !!!!Name:  P1020842.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  498.6 KBName:  P1020844.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  598.1 KB
    veitnamcam likes this.

One thing is for sure there must be a stag his equal or better still in the area.
    Gibo likes this.

Thats an interesting find alright. Hard headed huas aint they

Nice stag

Your not wrong on that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Thats an interesting find alright. Hard headed huas aint they

Quote Originally Posted by sometimes View Post
    Nice stag
    Thanks, My best to date.

Up Date on the antler in the skull it may be a dogs canine tooth that has broken off. Will take it into vet to see if they can ID it for me. Reason we think this now is the antler tip? has a hollow in it like a nerve channel ( maybe) will post result if we can get a good ID.

Thoughts from the vet are that it is an antler tip. The consistency is more like bone not like tooth. Tooth would have a distinct hard enamel on the outside with the softer material on the inside so you would most likely see the two layers in the cross section. When looking at the cross section it appears to be all the same material..

I wouldn't think the nerve channel would go to the end of the points. And thats rather odd and rather large looking to be a tooth

Got to agree with that, brother-in law is going to find someone who can test the piece we have to see one way or the other if it is bone or tooth.