Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Gkp

Thread: South Island Trip advice

South Island Trip advice

Hi all,

I've got an old friend, his brother, and my friends son coming over from Canada mid March and they would like to go hunting in the South Island.
    My friend went to Uni with me in Palmerston North and we did a bit of hunting together. Last time I saw his son he was in a stroller, he's nine now. It'd be awesome to get him a deer!

We're wanting to do a fly in hunt somewhere "tussocky" and have a classic South island hunting experience for a few days somewhere remote that is also doable for a nine year old. Deer as primary target but those other varieties of goaty creatures you've got down running around on the mountains there would be interesting too. Would be nice to be in an area with good animal numbers so we can get the young fella a good chance. I personally am not a trophy hunter so no preference for the genetics of an area.
    We've been researching and asking helicopter operators and haven't been overly thrilled with the response (or lack thereof) and some of the prices quoted will make Helisika in the North Island blush...

Preference is an operator that either flies out of an airport I can fly into from the Northern Isles or can pick up from an airport - not super keen on renting a vehicle that'll be parked up the the majority of the time. What do others do in this circumstance?

Can anyone suggest a general area and/or operator that might be best to talk to?

Best option suggested so far seems to be Top Waitaha Hut flying out of Hokitika. Anyone know what animal numbers are like there?

I've never hunted the South Island so would really appreciate a point in the right direction. Not looking for your spot x but can always help with North Island spots (although they can mostly be summarised as go high-ish in the Ruahines or Kawekas, there will be too many deer, start shooting...).

Appreciate your help in advance. Happy if you want to PM me.

Gkp
    How about fly into Queenstown and then see if Glenochy heli or one of the local companies can flick you up somewhere local. Lots of tossock County and plenty of deer. If you want to have a night in town you are welcome to lock up your rifles at mine.
    veitnamcam, ZQLewis and MCCPRO like this.

There is a good area this side of the Waitaha. Probably doesn't get much use compared to the more well known places.

I wouldn't try the Hokitika area if you haven't hunted the South island before
    Weather is a major in there

You want to be on the east I the main divide to have a better chance of reasonable weather
    West coast tussock country is pretty different to east coast

The into Queenstown idea gets you closest to the action also
    The Church of
    John Browning
    of the Later-Day Shooter

Seriously the Top Waitaha? You would be setting yourself up for a blank trip. Get into the Lake Sumner RHA, at least three helicopter operators to choose from and a stack load of deer I there. Hanmer Springs is only 1 1/2 hours from Christchurch and two helicopter options there as well. Much much kinder county than the Top Waitaha.

Yeah Top waitaha is not a good option numbers wise. Rent the car, it will give you more options. I have heard good things about the sumner area, and Haast as far as animal numbers go.
    Also dont limit yourself to tussock country. Some the big river valleys might be an option.

Flying out of an airport where Air New Zealand lands will really limit your options and helicopter flights to anywhere decent will cost a lot of money so a rental car is a must. East Coast for the better weather and easier country. As Puddleduk said, Lake Sumner RHA has high numbers of deer at present. Camp on the tops near a tarn, don't go to or anywhere near a hut as it will really limit your chances, you will simply be walking in the footsteps of countless other hunters. Hamner based helo operators, try Bill @ Alpine Springs helicopters 03 315 7165 or Amuri helicopters. It costs about $1600 an hour to keep a Hughes 500 in the air now let alone a Squirrell so don't expect bargain prices.

Amuri helicopters charge more because they have bigger helicopters than Alpine. Have not flown with either but lived across the road from Alpine for 6 years.
    Happy Jack.