Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes
  • 3 Post By Micky Duck
  • 6 Post By SPEARONZ
  • 3 Post By 11mms

Thread: Spring winds and spring hunting.

Spring winds and spring hunting.

Ahh, spring. The grass is growing, the fawns will be dropping, silly spikers are starting to get about and soon some cool cast antlers may be found for coat racks in the shed or dogs to chew.
    It's also blowing its arse out, and it seems like every saturday arvo its howling harder than it did all week! Makes getting out for a cast for a trout a bit pointless too.

What to do in these situations, fellas and fellettes? I hit the bush last weekend for an overnighter to a spot with a mix of open top and lots of bush edge, and had to contend with 30kmh winds at best and 75-80k gusts at worst. I had hoped that if I got onto the sheltered side of the hill, it might be a little better... Seems the wind speed was sufficiently fast to be sucking over the top of the hill and down into the next gully. Swirled on me a bit too. I had hoped for a drop in wind speed right on sunset, which it did for a total of 5 minutes before cranking up again. Still, a night in the hut poking the fire and cooking sausages wasn't so bad.

If I would, I'd just wait for a really tidy looking forecast and skip work for a day or two but that isn't really a luxury I can afford at the moment. What's some other peoples experience when they're hanging for a hunt but it's blowing hard?
    "O Great Guru what projectile should I use in my .308?" To which the guru replied, "It doesn't matter."
    -Grandpamac

Keep going out n keep looking.if rain is forecast get out too. The deer are flighty in wind but they have to be there somewhere. I remember shooting a yearling red running towards me to escape my scent swirling around behind him. Lining up on running animal "oih" boom.lol. rain often brings drop in wind and deer sure love light rain.will be everywhere immediately after rain.
    BSA270, Ned and TimC like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Keep going out n keep looking.if rain is forecast get out too. The deer are flighty in wind but they have to be there somewhere. I remember shooting a yearling red running towards me to escape my scent swirling around behind him. Lining up on running animal "oih" boom.lol. rain often brings drop in wind and deer sure love light rain.will be everywhere immediately after rain.
    except where they were before the rain.

Deer still have to eat.

If nothings feeding out in open or I’m going crazy with the wind in my ears I use the shit conditions to check out access onto ridges, clearings and spurs I havn’t been onto yet. Makes the hunt productive even if I don’t get o to any animals.

Whatever you're chasing lives in the weather.

It's pretty silly really, complaining about the weather. You'll be dealing with it for as long as you're alive. And approximately half that time it will be raining.

Maybe see if you can't become a sole-trader and contract your "job" ... so you can take off what time you want.

Rain and moisture is also good camouflage for sound and scent...
    BSA270, 300wsm for life and Sika 8 like this.