Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: The Stag who had the last laugh

Must admit, one of my first deer, I nicked the gut bag with the knife and the half decomposed, rotten grass blew all over my face and head!
    Been Upto likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Uplandstalker View Post
    Must admit, one of my first deer, I nicked the gut bag with the knife and the half decomposed, rotten grass blew all over my face and head!
    im glad im not the only one haha

Quote Originally Posted by Been Upto View Post
    Hey fellas thought you'd all enjoy my tale of woe from yesterdays mission into the Ruahines.
    Anyway I persuaded the missus to come for a hunt with me into ranges, three and half hours later we arrived setup camp and had about an hour of light left.
    Off we went to go have a look at some slips I have been scoping out on google earth.
    I lift my binos onto the slip instantly spotting a stag just above him what looked to be hind and another three hinds about 50 yards higher. It was on. Setup the rifle on the big stag with only a couple minutes of light left, Bugger it hes moved behind a pine lights fading very quickly. I made the snap judgement to take the hind just above him. Squeezed off BOOMFA! Poleaxed her she rolled down the slip.

So what I did next was not only stupid but also dangerous. I decided to try recover this deer in the dark on a slip Ive never been too before. This not only was a massive mission in it self I found myself getting lost in the dark up in the ranges more then once trying to find this clearing haha lesson learnt.
    After scuffling around for a couple hours I find the slip follow it to the bottom found the blood trail where the deer has fallen.
    Turns out the hind was actually a stag! WOOHOO first red stag a massive three pointer. Looks like it lost one of its antlers in velvet.

This is where things took a turn for the worse, the stag was positioned on its side on a steep face so I thought I take its backstraps off while hugging the slip abit lower with the stag. So im eye level with its body. Im removing the backstrap from the stag noticing that I had a missed a bit I was thinking in my head "Thats abit strange its protruding abit" Ive never been one for common sense haha So I cut it with an absolute confidence. What immediately happened after what I can only explain as a torrent of flying deer shit and juice. A shit fire hydrant if you will. im dripping shit all down my head absolutely covered mate. In my eyes nose and mouth.... now not only am I up a dark clearing in the middle of the night, but also covered in shit hahahahhahaha what an epic first red stag cheers guys thanks for reading.
    Great read mate haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Been Upto View Post
    Hey fellas thought you'd all enjoy my tale of woe from yesterdays mission into the Ruahines.
    Anyway I persuaded the missus to come for a hunt with me into ranges, three and half hours later we arrived setup camp and had about an hour of light left.
    Off we went to go have a look at some slips I have been scoping out on google earth.
    I lift my binos onto the slip instantly spotting a stag just above him what looked to be hind and another three hinds about 50 yards higher. It was on. Setup the rifle on the big stag with only a couple minutes of light left, Bugger it hes moved behind a pine lights fading very quickly. I made the snap judgement to take the hind just above him. Squeezed off BOOMFA! Poleaxed her she rolled down the slip.

So what I did next was not only stupid but also dangerous. I decided to try recover this deer in the dark on a slip Ive never been too before. This not only was a massive mission in it self I found myself getting lost in the dark up in the ranges more then once trying to find this clearing haha lesson learnt.
    After scuffling around for a couple hours I find the slip follow it to the bottom found the blood trail where the deer has fallen.
    Turns out the hind was actually a stag! WOOHOO first red stag a massive three pointer. Looks like it lost one of its antlers in velvet.

This is where things took a turn for the worse, the stag was positioned on its side on a steep face so I thought I take its backstraps off while hugging the slip abit lower with the stag. So im eye level with its body. Im removing the backstrap from the stag noticing that I had a missed a bit I was thinking in my head "Thats abit strange its protruding abit" Ive never been one for common sense haha So I cut it with an absolute confidence. What immediately happened after what I can only explain as a torrent of flying deer shit and juice. A shit fire hydrant if you will. im dripping shit all down my head absolutely covered mate. In my eyes nose and mouth.... now not only am I up a dark clearing in the middle of the night, but also covered in shit hahahahhahaha what an epic first red stag cheers guys thanks for reading.
    Haven't had a faceful of shite, ....but once upon a time I worked in a supermarket as a storeman and was setting up a drinks display .

I cut across a box of lemonade at eye height to make it into a display, safely doable if you don't cut too far into it.

I did cut too far into it, and was momentarily baffled as to why I was blind, soaking, and there was a roaring sound in my ears.
    Been Upto likes this.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Name:  Hazmat-Suits-Ebola-Dupont005.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  159.3 KB Right... Ready for the next one. Where's my Svord? Oh crap... It's still in it's sheath, on my belt, inside the suit...
    Max Headroom and Been Upto like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    Haven't had a faceful of shite, ....but once upon a time I worked in a supermarket as a storeman and was setting up a drinks display .

I cut across a box of lemonade at eye height to make it into a display, safely doable if you don't cut too far into it.

I did cut too far into it, and was momentarily baffled as to why I was blind, soaking, and there was a roaring sound in my ears.
    That is classic maxy hahah

Quote Originally Posted by Bol Tackshin View Post
    Attachment 112786 Right... Ready for the next one. Where's my Svord? Oh crap... It's still in it's sheath, on my belt, inside the suit...
    Thats hilarious bro!