Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By 30.06king
  • 1 Post By 30.06king
  • 1 Post By SmokeyJason
  • 3 Post By SoreLegs

Thread: Tahr Hunting Plans

Tahr Hunting Plans

I'm a bit out of touch on this subject due to no Tahr hunting for a few years.
    My, tentative, plan is to hunt Tahr again about May '24 and thought I would ask here for area suggestions. I'm keen on trying for a decent trophy bull in areas with potential. Preferably East Coast with drive to a secure parking area and walk in from there. I would rather do this than a chopper trip. A huts network is fine but I'm equally happy to camp with my tent. Probably hunting solo.
    Any suggestions form up to date guys would be very welcome and hugely appreciated. Equally, no hard feelings if you want to tell me I'm wasting my time.
    Cheers
    yeah_na_missed likes this.

Are you keen on the big walk ins required in some of the major catchments or looking to try some of the less populated, less popular spots that dont require the big yomp? So many choices, but the tahr did get a hammering this year from the helihunters. Still some nice bulls out there, but it would be a right piss off if you walked for a day or more to get to the headwaters, and then find your campsite gets buzzed 4 or 5 times a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600#2 View Post
    Are you keen on the big walk ins required in some of the major catchments or looking to try some of the less populated, less popular spots that dont require the big yomp? So many choices, but the tahr did get a hammering this year from the helihunters. Still some nice bulls out there, but it would be a right piss off if you walked for a day or more to get to the headwaters, and then find your campsite gets buzzed 4 or 5 times a day.
    I have few time constraints so can work with either bigger or smaller walks. Isolation would be a preferance as I would be annoyed if settling into an area only to find chopper hunting activity.
    Husky1600#2 likes this.

Joshc just did a hunt, ask him where the bad boys are. I've been trying for a 14 + bull on the east side for years and still trying. Being born lucky is the most envied position. Up in the rangitata one autumn we spotted a bull at the top of the range right on dark making his way down for a night's feed, they don't get old by being silly. BUT lovember is your sneaky answer. Good luck.
    30.06king likes this.

Just some bloke
    DOC have some resources about Tahr bull numbers on their website. Should give you a bit of an insight into it.
    Might be able to call heli operators and see where they fly into so you can avoid those areas?
    chainsaw, paremata and 30.06king like this.

Thankyou guys for your replies and offers to help. Much appreciated.
    Especially @Husky1600#2 who gave me a large research portfolio !

Quote Originally Posted by 30.06king View Post
    Thankyou guys for your replies and offers to help. Much appreciated.
    Especially @Husky1600#2 who gave me a large research portfolio !
    Hi, where did you end up going? Any luck? I am in the same "search" as you are and just a few mins away so would be great if you could share some locations or even PM me.

Cheers,
    Rafal.

Quote Originally Posted by magikk17 View Post
    Hi, where did you end up going? Any luck? I am in the same "search" as you are and just a few mins away so would be great if you could share some locations or even PM me.

Cheers,
    Rafal.
    I'm planning to hunt in 2024. Have to do some research on potential areas before knowing where I'll be. Cheers.