Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Time Frame

Never stopped learning.

Effort equals success.

Hunt with those better than you, stay quiet, absorb their skills by observation, get confident in the bush with off track navigation, get to know your weapon like the back of your hand, start small and build up (rabbits first, aim higher later) ...the rest will fall into place.

Enjoy everyday, even if you get nothing.

Best of luck

Kj
    Nick.m and Frogfeatures like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    43 years old..been hunting since 8 years old..still learning..the day I stop learning I will be dead.
    get out with someone who does know and you will learn faster.
    todays up n coming hunters have it better than the generation before...trying to find deer in the 80s was hard work the 90s a little better but not much
    If I spooked a deer every 2nd trip I felt we were doing well.
    keep getting out and read ,read ,read you will pick up a lot from books eg what to look for and where to look for it, the series by Lentle and Saxton are very good places to start.
    +1 basicly what i did but only been deer stalking 6 years. Took 2 years to even see a animal basicly and get one lol. Now have shot plenty, every 2nd trip at least spook one and norally bowl one over every 3rd trip on average. Not bad hunting well hunted DOC blocks around here with low animal numbers. Always learning thats for sure.

I got very lucky and got a deer with my first overnight trip with my centerfire. On DoC land. Saw about 4, shot one.

I am still a complete novice and can't claim to have learned much at all. I can say though that I spent a lot of time looking at maps and google earth to find what I thought might be likely spots.

In subsequent unsuccessful trips i've learned to stay away from hunting areas that also have popular hiking tracks. Or even tracks that aren't that popular. So basically anywhere easily accessible or that's well maintained = bad.