Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By stagstalker

Thread: Toka Biv

Toka Biv

I’ve unintentionally made a ritual of taking the kids hiking before Christmas. With the eldest two (now 7 & 9) I’ve done a bit of the Round The Mountain Track and up and over Mt. Pureora.

Thinking now of taking them up the Ruahines, from Limestone Rd up to the top and over into Toka Biv. Probably won’t take the rifle as that’s not the intention of the trip and I’ll likely end up carrying some of the kids’ gear too.

How frequently is the Biv used? My main concern would be getting there and finding it’s occupied, as it only sleeps two (the three of us would make it work if we had it to ourselves).

Anything else we need to know going up there (walking access, track conditions etc)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    More meplat, more better.

It’s a good grunt to the tops. Track condition from memory is ok with a few tricky bit’s climbing up through the bush. It’s a decent hike to get there and those tops are renowned for being gnarly in bad weather. I would watch the weather with a lot of caution with kids but looking at the ages you have mentioned I would probably recommend somewhere a little less serious for the 7 year old. Maybe Rangi Hut or Longview etc.
    Nickoli, Mooseman, Andygr and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stagstalker View Post
    It’s a good grunt to the tops. Track condition from memory is ok with a few tricky bit’s climbing up through the bush. It’s a decent hike to get there and those tops are renowned for being gnarly in bad weather. I would watch the weather with a lot of caution with kids but looking at the ages you have mentioned I would probably recommend somewhere a little less serious for the 7 year old. Maybe Rangi Hut or Longview etc.
    Agree with @stagstalker - there are plenty of spots in the Ruahines that will push your sprogs without putting them off the outdoors for good....
    Depending on which side you're accessing (assuming you can do both coming down from Waikato) - you also need to consider river accessibility.
    Not sure what experience your sprogs have already?

I also have to agree with the two posts above. I've taken a few groups into the hills and have experienced some of the individuals getting hypothermia. It goes hand in hand with fatigue and can come on real quick. The combination of "gnarly in bad weather" and a bit of a "grunt to the tops" and small body mass of kids that age would be making me err on the side of safety (and enjoyment).
    If you have a garden and a library, you have all you need. Oh, and a dog, and a rifle

Thanks for the advice. Certainly would only go up with a good forecast, but might look into some other options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    More meplat, more better.

Agree also. Longview and Sunrise are two great family huts on the eastern side. Note that Sunrise is on the DOC booking system.

Also the day you don't pack a tent and go to a 2-person dog box biv will be the day someone beat you there!!