Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree13Likes
  • 13 Post By flock

Thread: Took the Wife Hunting

Took the Wife Hunting

Her first time so I wanted to make an impression, not put her off, this is way out of her comfort zone, roughing it, so a hut and drivability was a must for us 60 year olds and I haven’t been hunting for some time.

Observed a herd of hinds from the ridge hut, at sun rise, appeared and reappeared grazed for a moment before disappearing into the bush, ranged them at 480 yards.

Rifle I was using was a bush pig 308, so no worries I know where they are, have a crack at them this the evening. Had to drop down & approach from the opposite direction which didn’t turn me on as wind wasn’t going to be favourable, but got lucky no wind. So storked closer to where I wanted to be. She was quite enthusiastic storking ahead of me, was tempted to use those golden words (Get in Behind) next thing the wind sprung up again right up our bum. Stuffed us up and never saw anything so gave it away and headed back to the vehicle, drove on back to the hut and got tea started before dark.

Ever casting my eye down to where the deer had been this morning but with not much hope. Bugger me a large hind sneaks into view looking straight at the hut. Wife has look though the binos and replied Bastard. So got the rifle set up and the hind reappeared from behind tree, gauged the distance in the fading light to be 100 yards or so closer, so 380yards. Told the better half to watch threw the Binos, she doesn’t like using binos.

BANG she freaks out & drops the binos, she didn’t see a thing that bang was So Loud!
    Neat I didn’t see a thing because of the recoil. F/*k thought I had given it a pretty good go, so we will check it out in the morning.

Anyway was our last morning so had to pack up, and so made our way to where the deer was, no sign of any claret had a good look, ranged it back to the hut. ‘Bugger Me’ I had made a total stuff up of the range it was only 280 yards. Result was I had put a shot well over the top of her, nice to know I hadn’t wounded her. Stunned that I guessed and stuffed up the range so badly.

End result had a couple nice days away from the Maddening World, think she enjoyed the experience, so with a bit of luck there might be a next time.
    TeRei, rugerman, mikee and 10 others like this.

Good introduction for her, nice read, easy mistake good outcome.

Funny, my wife does not like using binos either. Just 'don't work' for her. Some luck with 6x30s, easier.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch