Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree141Likes

Thread: Tops Hunting Tips

Walked up a few Canterbury doc tracks 3hrs or 4hrs before day light yrs ago.Had a few deer nearly run me over at different times.Couple of pigs snorting their way down the track towards me one morning,the head lamp on them then they crashed thru the bush.Use to hear the thumbing of deer hooves trotting away.Loved hearing the morporks in the distance.Different world out there at night,loved it.

If you were younger I would suggest taking a book. To make you sit down and not worry about the time, and covering more country. But at your age you most probably will need a little lie down once you hit hunting elevation (I know I do), and do lots of glassing. And then some more glassing. They are all there, you just haven't seen them yet.
    rugerman, Micky Duck, Ned and 3 others like this.

Might be stating the obvious but If you can see them, they can see you and that can be a loooooong way off. If you need to close the gap get out of sight somehow. I havent used a sig combo of the likes so cant comment but dont be afraid to get a rangefinder and dial in moa. Good bipod, set of carbon poles and sunscreen!!
    Fat belly Dog and Muttonguts like this.

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    If you were younger I would suggest taking a book. To make you sit down and not worry about the time, and covering more country. But at your age you most probably will need a little lie down once you hit hunting elevation (I know I do), and do lots of glassing. And then some more glassing. They are all there, you just haven't seen them yet.
    I am always partial to a bit of a lie down and snooze, more so now as an old bugger. My last dog was pretty keen on a snooze the one and only time we walked up and camped on the Ruahine tops/tarns, I was a bit younger then but still pretty stuffed after climbing up from the Kawhatua base.

Name:  snooze.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  293.6 KB

Name:  snooze 2.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  230.6 KB

cheers FBD

Bos
    Never leave a deer to find a deer!
    Its a mental thing but sometimes you decide (wrongly) that its to far away, or its to much of a climb, or theres to much shit to push through
    If you see an animal and you've got enough daylight, then start hunting towards it. It might be the only one you see for the trip

I always seem to see more animals after a little lie down in the arvo sun for an hour or so... Either by looking too intently and not relaxing into the landscape or by moving around too much, when I try too hard I never see a damn thing. Relax and 'zoom out' your attention, as it were. Works for me anyway.
    If you can't maintain a slow and steady breathing rhythm in and out through the nose, you're charging too hard and you'll blow yourself to pieces... Even if you do make it to the top you'll be in no shape to hold a cuppa steady never mind the binos or rifle. No shame in trudging slowly, you'll probably take less breaks and end up getting around faster than you think.
    rugerman, Micky Duck and Aspire like this.
    "O Great Guru what projectile should I use in my .308?" To which the guru replied, "It doesn't matter."
    -Grandpamac

If you don’t have them already, buy the best binos you are comfortable spending money on.
    Tahr, Trout and Micky Duck like this.

Another thing I didn't mention was "hunt your feet first ". So many people crest a ridge and start glassing a km away from where they are and an animal might be sitting within shooting range right in front of you.
    rugerman, kukuwai, Ned and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    I download a book to the phone, which I'm carrying as a GPS and camera anyway. Sitting still in a good spot pays more dividends than racing all over the place I believe.
    Ned likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RUMPY View Post
    Another thing I didn't mention was "hunt your feet first ". So many people crest a ridge and start glassing a km away from where they are and an animal might be sitting within shooting range right in front of you.
    some of us have fired a unsuccessful barrage at out of range deer,then stood up and had yearling bounce past at 50 yards too...not my finest moment and many years ago.
    jpurdon likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Jus
    I just upgraded to the leupold mckenzies in the 12x 50 magnification, bust thing i ever did! Love them to bits
    Happy Jack and jpurdon like this.