Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By JL12
  • 2 Post By wanneroo
  • 1 Post By wanneroo
  • 1 Post By Hiawatha

Thread: Trail camera advice

Trail camera advice

Apologies if this is in the wrong section
    Looking to buy my first trail camera just wanting an entry level one nothing too flash but ideally takes decent photos, lasts long and just generally works well without giving headaches. I dont need one that sends photos to my email or phone just one I can leave in the bush 2 months or so and check on/move afterwards
    Looked at a few moultrie ones the a300i looks pretty good to my uneducated ass not too over the top and seems a reasonable price
    Does anyone have any experiences/horror stories/or better options than these?
    Cheers peewoks

HOO
    Pretty sure I have the a300i.
    Have only had it out in the bush twice and it’s done the job both times. Photos are good enough for what I use it for. I couldn’t really justify spending much more than that on a camera either so it was a good balance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't looked at them for a while but I bought a couple of Bushnell Bone Collectors from the states and they have been great. Not expensive and seem to take good photos.
    Name:  EK000115.JPG
Views: 533
Size:  1.16 MB
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Is that the Aussie Dick Smith site? It looks like it is drop shipping...Leaves Ware house in 1-2 weeks.....

Name:  DS.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  111.2 KB

Does look to be some interesting stuff there....

Gone but not forgotten
    I have a Moultrie, A30i I think, it works well.
    The cheap ones on the 1-day website work okay in daylight but not so well under the canopy, and often lock up trying video at night.

Check out post #631, page 43 of this thread for a comparison, the Moultrie pics have the name at the bottom.
    https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....0/index43.html
    Last edited by Cigar; 03-05-2020 at 12:20 PM.

I have a couple of Brownings. Super easy to setup up and batteries last ages. Have a look at trailcampro in the US.

I picked up an lil acorn copy from aliexpress for $120 a few years ago which has served me well. Good response time and clear images and videos. Range is about 20m which picks up most deer

Name:  IMAG0011.JPG
Views: 460
Size:  3.05 MB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    tetawa, Shearer, Phil_H and 1 others like this.

Awesome thanks team. Heaps to go check out now and see what's the deal

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    Is that the Aussie Dick Smith site? It looks like it is drop shipping...Leaves Ware house in 1-2 weeks.....

Attachment 138464

Does look to be some interesting stuff there....
    I've used those exact cameras here in the USA, bought off of Amazon.

The positive is that they have very good battery life and they take sharp pictures. However the motion sensor is only good for close up compared to more expensive cameras and they only take photos close up, so you do not get a very good panoramic shot.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Shearer and piwakawaka like this.

The Moultrie cameras, if they work, work really well.

There was a model I had a few years ago that took 12 AA batteries and the first one I got killed the batteries in a day or two. I had to send that back to Moultrie who sent a new one. That worked pretty good for a few years until ants killed it off. For some reason ants in the summer were really attracted to it. But it took good pictures overall.

Another Moultrie I have has run like a train, pretty good on battery life but the IR light at night has faded with time and sits at this one crossroads and takes pretty decent pictures.

Name:  MFDC7237.JPG
Views: 381
Size:  415.3 KB
    piwakawaka likes this.

The little Brownings are the best I have seen and used. Have tried a bunch of others but have had problems with leaking and battery life etc. The LTL Acorns were pretty good but Brownings better.
    piwakawaka likes this.

I have both Ltl Acorns and Browning trail cams. One big thing with Browning cams - you cannot set the menu to take photos and video at the same event. But Acorns you can and so can some other brands. I don't know why Browning just update their circuit boards?