Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By EmpireSafaris
  • 1 Post By erniec
  • 1 Post By 30.06king
  • 1 Post By Stocky

Thread: Travel Insurance for Hunting to USA

Travel Insurance for Hunting to USA

Anyone ever had any luck getting insurance that doesn't exclude Hunting? I know all the NZ options are out but the few options for cover available from the US can only be purchased if you are a resident seemingly. Global rescue is an additional option but you end up paying for medical evacuation cover in your normal travel insurance and then again for global rescue. Gets pretty pricey. I can get it going to canada through travelguard but not the states.

Cheers

I use travel insurance on my credit card
    Micky Duck likes this.

Haven't used it for hunting but the credit card travel insurance stacks up.
    Equivalent insurance for one overseas trip covers the the annual card cost.
    Just have pay using card which is what most do anyway.
    EmpireSafaris likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by erniec View Post
    Haven't used it for hunting but the credit card travel insurance stacks up.
    Equivalent insurance for one overseas trip covers the the annual card cost.
    Just have pay using card which is what most do anyway.
    Bit late for that one that as booked flights and had to apply for tags awhile back but good to know. Be interested if hunting is a listed exclusion as it is for almost any specific policy i have found as booked flights and had to apply for tags awhile back.

MSL
    What tags did you apply for out of interest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
    Anyone ever had any luck getting insurance that doesn't exclude Hunting? I know all the NZ options are out but the few options for cover available from the US can only be purchased if you are a resident seemingly. Global rescue is an additional option but you end up paying for medical evacuation cover in your normal travel insurance and then again for global rescue. Gets pretty pricey. I can get it going to canada through travelguard but not the states.

Cheers
    IIRC there are a couple of options I found a few years back which, while USA based, also covered non USA persons. They were offered as tailored for hunters. Not cheap so you would need to consider how worthwhile they are. I'll try to find details tomorrow for you.
    Global Rescue also offers a travel insurance product separate to their medical evacuation product. Might be worth checking out. I presume if can be bought on its own without medivac cover.
    Stocky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 30.06king View Post
    IIRC there are a couple of options I found a few years back which, while USA based, also covered non USA persons. They were offered as tailored for hunters. Not cheap so you would need to consider how worthwhile they are. I'll try to find details tomorrow for you.
    Global Rescue also offers a travel insurance product separate to their medical evacuation product. Might be worth checking out. I presume if can be bought on its own without medivac cover.
    Global rescues travel insurance add on is only up to a 45 day trip I'm away from 4 months unfortuntely.

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    What tags did you apply for out of interest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Montana General Combo and Colorado Muzzlle loader mule deer.
    199p likes this.

Can’t you just get Global Rescue travel insurance product for the time you’re actually hunting? Or are you hunting for longer than 45 days in a row?

BTW I’ve hunted elk and deer in MT on the combo tag. Both greats hunts but think the deer population has dropped since I was there a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by cb14 View Post
    Can’t you just get Global Rescue travel insurance product for the time you’re actually hunting? Or are you hunting for longer than 45 days in a row?

BTW I’ve hunted elk and deer in MT on the combo tag. Both greats hunts but think the deer population has dropped since I was there a few years ago.
    It's trip insurance not just hunting so trip has to be under 45 days. They won't let you pick and choose days either. first day of the mule deer tags in early Sept and last day of Montana tag is in late November. There's over 45 days total of the montana general tag season anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Stocky View Post

Cheers
    I ( NZ citizen ) bought cover from this company when I hunted BC, Canada a few years ago.
    https://lifestylefinancial.ca/get-a-...yle-financial/
    I don't know if they insure hunting only within Canada our further afield. You would need to enquire about that, and cost.

I can't find the info of the other USA based company to which I made enquiries only but they covered hunting and non-US citizens. I remember the cost seemed high and at the time was unaffordable to me.
    Quite possibly it was the company related to Global Rescue but it sounds like you have explored that option.

I am not endorsing either insurer above, just trying to help. Personally I prefer to have insurance but only if the cost is fair. I think higher premiums are applied to hunting travelers due to perceived "risk" and thin competition but sometimes I've decided to take the risk and travel without. Been lucky so far I guess. Only item I've ever lost was a rangefinder, stolen from a check-in bag somewhere between Dubai and Ethiopia. Not insured but probably wouldn't have helped anyway. Discovered too late and very unlikely I would have obtained a Police report to present to an insurer.