Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Trophy Fallow Herd up for 1080 drop!!

If there's any way we can help, even if it's signing an online petition or something, let us know.

Have they ever admitted that the drops are targeted at deer?

Quote Originally Posted by Malhunting View Post
    An update for you all that may be interested.
    Today after many calls, emails, and what not i received a call from the AHB today saying that we have convinced them to recommend to Environment Southland to consider the use of EDR in the drop, so a small win.
    Next stop is to hassle Environment Southland to make sure they go with the recommendation and try to get the AHB to change their propose boundary's.

Cheers
    Mal
    Good news. How many of us ended up writing letters?? Hopefully a few more jumped on board and helped out mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Malhunting View Post
    Just to let people know that the Fallow population in the Hokonuis is up for a touch up next year from the AHB.
    With the massive Trophy potential this area holds it will be a crying shame if this plan goes ahead, the initial plan started with the Dunsdale forest with the ultimate goal to be a TB Free status, an admirable goal and very achievable probably but if it has to be at the peril of this Trophy Herd then it is a sad day for all.
    The AHB plan to do the aerial drop in winter 2013 on the rolling hills of the forest but on closer inspection of the proposed area they also plan to drop right on top of the forest that is home to the herd.

Lets hope their plans can be changed before it is to late, deer repellent or not they should leave the Fallow population the hell alone.
    i doubt they will put repellent in, when the did te kopia all private blocks got it but DOC refused flat that they would not put it in. they are targeting deer. get your local derstalkers onto it. you may be able to work with DOC to preserve the herd. they have done that in Te MIRO where they Ballot the Fallow Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by mucko View Post
    i doubt they will put repellent in, when the did te kopia all private blocks got it but DOC refused flat that they would not put it in. they are targeting deer. get your local derstalkers onto it. you may be able to work with DOC to preserve the herd. they have done that in Te MIRO where they Ballot the Fallow Hunting
    you been up there recently mike? Lots of dead deer rotting away?
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by mucko View Post
    Mal has been the driver behind getting this to happen Mucko. He is the face of our local NZDA club. He along with quite a few other members, including myself, have written letters requesting the use of EDR in this drop, and providing we had enough support they were going to seriously consider it. Looks like they have accepted our concerns and with a bit more of a push it will happen hopefully.

Hi guys, just home from work.
    Yeah this drop is being done by the AHB (Animal Health Board) Not Doc and it looks very positive for the EDR at this stage, especially with the AHB now saying that they think it should be used.
    Josh there was about a dozen people that i know off that put in a letter to the AHB on this and a letter that i got some help with from a higher up DA member with some of the info i gathered added to it so we kept on the good side of the HO.
    So like i said earlier it is now time to approach Environment Southland and feel them out about there views on EDR being used in the drop and then the AHB to get them to reconsider the area they plan to drop on.