Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By HNTMAD
  • 2 Post By Chur Bay
  • 1 Post By hunt08
  • 1 Post By Rock river arms hunter

Thread: Trying to bag first deer

Trying to bag first deer

Hey people first time poster here. So since its the roar now I've been trying to get out every weekend to get myself a deer but I'm having problems with actually shooting the damn things. I go to my own little spot X in the Mamaku native bush which for where i go is actually a fair bit open for native compared to those damn kaimais so i could see them from far away. Every single time I've been out I call in hinds, stags and even bloody pheasants so numbers isnt the problem. My problem is that I always spook them.....
    I've tried hiding, facing toward the wind and every other thing I could think of but they keep on getting spooked. Any idea on how they are finding me and or how do i find a solution to my problem as its been happening for the past 4 weekends.

Hi I like the name, welcome and I guess that's why its called hunting not shooting

My first observation is that you are "calling" them in....while this is great they are already coming in on high alert looking for a deer so you have in essence lost the element of surprise so effectively they have probably seen you before you see them..

Question....when you do see them do you bring your rifle up quick or really really slowly....speed will give you away, slowly will likely create an inquisitive look from the deer.

Hamish

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

What sort of noises are you making to call in pheasants. In fact you shouldn’t be making any noise or noises.

Slow down
    Maca49 and Micky Duck like this.

If they are coming to you movement will be your enemy, they will already know exactly where you’re at. Good concealment and minimal movement will help, and make sure the wind is in your face.

Hey mate, I pretty much already have the rifle in the area where i can hear them coming but its just a stitch up that when ive sat down and called them in i get two coming up to me and one spooks and barks at the other one so its just tryna get past that initial first deer to get a look at both of them so i can choose.

If there two coming in when bush hunting I wouldn't worry bot trying to look at both ( if wanting meat different if you got meat & set a goal off a certain type of animal to take) I would just be identifying the 1st 1 I see to make sure it is a deer & not a person & the firing zones good & take the shoot. The other thought is are you hunting with safety on or half cock ( only when expecting to see game) or are they hearing you work your Bolt
    Micky Duck likes this.

Take it really slowly, keep the wind in you're face, minimize you're movement and when you go to try lme up a shot just try do so with a bit of cover between you and them, slowly raising the rifle and no sudden movements( whilst observing the 7 basic rules obviously).

If they start to move off then a cheeky fawn call can stop them if their not fully alerted and on the run full tit.

Good luck
    Arced likes this.

Yea I wouldn't bother calling, especially without much experience. There's clearly animals about, just get to a likely area and step look, wait, step, look, wait... as mentioned you don't want the animals on alert.

why are you calling and what calls are you doing?tell us more about this?id almost guarantee your calling is the problem here esp from a new hunter.a deer willl know exactly the spot to the metre you are in I reckon when you make a noise in their territory and they will likely come in from an angle that they can cut your scent hence the barking and spooking.
    Stop calling and move in on them.

if using electronic caller.....can you use it remotely eg have it ten -fifteen yards away out to the side and upwind of you so animals looking past where you are concealed....
    but others have it covered....by calling they know something is there and where to look.
    75/15/10 black powder matters