Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Turkeys

Obviously turkeys are fairly common in New Zealand ? Whats the opinion on hunter / farmers on here about the real value of having them around on their property?

MB
    Eat grass and shit all over the place. Not popular with the farmers I know. As a sporting proposition, little interest, but fun for training new/young hunters and meat harvest can be good.

Last edited by MB; 16-06-2022 at 09:18 AM.
    Kopua Cowboy and RV1 like this.

Yep they are a pain. Fond memories of when me and the Mrs first got together, we'd go for a walk round the farm in Norsewood of an evening, her with the .22 and me with .303 and we'd deal to a lot of magpies turkeys rabbits and hares. Very romantic
    Dama dama, Scouser, XR500 and 2 others like this.
    I'd like to verify your clam.

Turkey hunting in NZ is clearly very different from here in the states.

I personally LOVE turkey hunting, but we can only do so in a very short window and believe it or not, they get very wily and hard to bring into range (can only shoot them with shotguns or bows here). Agree with everyone about the flavour—absolutely splendid. If anyone needs recipes for cooking the legs, which taste great but can be tough as cordwood, PM me. As for the contention that they're no good for sport, you ought to try calling them in the spring. Damn good time. Really hope I get the chance to chase the big chickens when I'm out there.
    7mmwsm and Seventy Six like this.

Quote Originally Posted by video hunter View Post
    Obviously turkeys are fairly common in New Zealand ? Whats the opinion on hunter / farmers on here about the real value of having them around on their property?
    Like anything it's about balance. They do eat crickets n bugs.....a lot of grass as well.....

Sent from my SM-T225 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LostYank View Post

I personally LOVE turkey hunting, but we can only do so in a very short window and believe it or not, they get very wily and hard to bring into range (can only shoot them with shotguns or bows here). Agree with everyone about the flavour—absolutely splendid. If anyone needs recipes for cooking the legs, which taste great but can be tough as cordwood, PM me. As for the contention that they're no good for sport, you ought to try calling them in the spring. Damn good time. Really hope I get the chance to chase the big chickens when I'm out there.
    Your right...chase them a few times they cotton on to bipedal beings with a long pointy thing...,

Sent from my SM-T225 using Tapatalk

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by LostYank View Post

You don't need to call them, just walk up to them and shoot them or grab them out the tree when they are roosting
    XR500 likes this.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by tiroahunta View Post
    Your right...chase them a few times they cotton on to bipedal beings with a long pointy thing...,
    I think that goes for most animals. Even much derided goats can be spooky when under a lot of pressure.

Used to get a few with the wheel arch on the trailer, would avoid them with the ute but then they'd try and cut back in behind the ute and get collected by the solid steel wheel arch. It took no prisioners, the feathers would still be settling half an hour later. Not even much good for dog tucker - a bit too tenderised...

May not be PC these days....

To the older gentleman on this forum who may remember and confirm that at one stage in NZ, turkeys were actually issued with gumboots....

Believe it or not... enjoy?

https://www.nzonscreen.com/title/tow...-gumboots-1968
    Blisters and RV1 like this.

they eat bugs so they get a free pass till their numbers reach problem levels then they are knocked down a bit

they also eat all your Puha if that bothers you, Im pretty sure my crew wants them all gone for that reason alone
    XR500 and RV1 like this.

To the older gentleman on this forum who may remember and confirm that at one stage in NZ, turkeys were actually issued with gumboots....

hahaha that's brilliant, got any more?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    they eat bugs so they get a free pass till their numbers reach problem levels then they are knocked down a bit

they also eat all your Puha if that bothers you, Im pretty sure my crew wants them all gone for that reason alone
    Pretty easy to tip over if they have been on the electric variety
    Blisters and RV1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    You don't need to call them, just walk up to them and shoot them or grab them out the tree when they are roosting
    There was a Barry Crump book, might have been "hang on a minute mate" or "The adventures of Sam Cash", where two of his characters went collecting turkeys at night: One poked them with a stick when roosting on a fence, and the other used a pair of sharpened hedge trimmers to lop off their heads when they stuck them out to see what had woken them up

ahh yes the good old Fred Dagg jokes