Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Victory! (First Deer)

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    What are your new boots? If they are leather fill them with bees wax (Snoseal). Stops the leather saturating.
    Scarpa Kinesis Tech GTX's....what a mouthful. I see that Scarpa recommend their own product (surprise surprise) for the leather. Don't know if you can get it in NZ though, so i'll be looking at other stuff if I bother at all. Does anyone even bother regularly treating their Scarpa's? Seems like a bit of a marketing ploy to me.

As mentioned, next time we will just cross this river in gumboots then stash them somewhere for on the way back. Will carry other footwear across and then wear it in dry.

Wifes ankle is still playing up a bit, so she's off to the doctor today to see if she needs x-rays.

Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by eve View Post
    good stuff, that is one deer you will never forget. I still remember my first deer like it was yesterday not 35yrs ago. if you can it is best to let it hang over night and set, if you can't take the whole animal the best cuts are the back steaks, eye fillet and back legs the rest is only good for sausage.
    Nothing wrong with a good venison stew or venison pie, been having some delicious ones on the cold nights made from some nice shoulder and neck meat, heaps of feeds there if you can carry it out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    mrs dundee likes this.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Excellent result and a good write up, kudos to your wife for being out there and doing it.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"